Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    So MM and Pamestique, what kinds of trails are you riding? Serious up & down with roots & rocks & obstacles trails? Some up & down but cleared trails through woods? Or varying terrain, fairly well established dirt trails?

I don't mind a fairly level packed dirt trail, I like the isolation of riding those. But I'm not big on technical mountain biking, with serious hills to climb and obstacles to negotiate.

As to giving up road riding, that would be difficult for me to do given as how I've never taken it up. I've put in a few miles now and then, and there's a short cut between two rail trails where I ride a road for about 1.5 miles, but I don't enjoy it at all. I'm not used to cars buzzing past within a few feet at 50+ mph. In part due to my inability to hold a straight line well, my right arm takes it upon itself to twitch now & then, sending me about 2' to one side or the other. That's not a good thing on a road, not so much a problem on a rural rail trail.
    I tend to do cross country trails - some serious ups and downs mind you but not off the side of a mountain, steep, scary stuff. I am blessed to have a variety of very cool trails around my house. My favorite trail is called "Blair Witch". Very little climbing but a fast windy singletrack that goes through trees so there are lots of roots and rocks to negotiate. I like the technical aspect of mountain biking but not the pucker factor.

I won't give up road riding ever myself. I do both. There is something about getting out on the road and just hauling without having to worry about obstacles and tough, sandy, rocky, gnarly climbs. I go do longer distances of course on the road. We always say there is a 3 to 1 ratio of distance for road or mountain. Unfortunately we don't have alot of rural roads. One of my favorite routes is actually on a highway where cars are traveling 65+ miles per hour. In some parts (like riding down to San Diego) you have to travel on Interstate 5. Talk about scary!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    On the roads there is a slight risk of minor injuries and a very low risk of major injury or death. .
    Living in an urban environment, a week generally doesn't go by without some mention in the papers of a cyclist being hit and killed by a motorist. It happens all too often here and is a major reason why many people are now riding trail. Of course a number of years ago, a close friend, an extremely strong mountain biker, slide off trail, hit her head against a boulder and broke her neck. Both sports have their risks.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love thrashing on the trails, and with my bike handling skills that's a fair description of what I do- the hardcore guys drop me in nothing flat in the technical stuff. I don't care, it's too much fun! Being a jack of all trades and master of none as far as bicycling goes, it's one of my favorite "endpoints" of the cycling spectrum. The other end is riding my long wheelbase recumbent bike. The former is all about whole-body riding dynamics, the latter is about pouring on the miles while the bike almost seems to disappear underneath me. Road riding on my commuter bikes falls somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by rnorris; 09-11-09 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I have yet to encounter a mad SUV coming toward me on the trail causing me to bail.....................
    Point made, bro.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    One thing that has always struck me as funny is that most of the people I know who ride exclusively on roads/paths or offroad cite danger as the reason they don't do the other.
    I've read dozens of posts from people who find MUPs or rail trails unsatisfactory. And for them, it is. If one is attempting to ride 17-20 mph on a busy MUP, that's going to be a problem. It will be dangerous as they dodge dogs on leases, walkers weaving, and tons of slow cyclists. Also an urban MUP will frequently have many street crossings.

Now for me and many of my fellow recreational rail trail riders, it is a much different story. Most trail riders ride along at 11 to 13 mph. When I was riding at 13 this past week, on a busier trail than I normally ride, I passed a fair number of riders. When I ride at 11, I pass almost no one and am passed by few. At 15 mph, a speed I know many here consider a slow pace, on a busy trail you'll be having to dodge a lot of obstacles.

But normally I'm on rural rail trails where I see another rider about once every 2 to 3 miles. I almost never have to dodge a dog or a walker. On the rare occasional where I pass someone, they almost always move to the side and allow an easy pass. There have been times when I've ridden 25 miles and not seen even one other person on the trail.

Of course on the near empty trails, one can ride at whatever speed they desire. No safety problems for anyone when the trails are empty.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here, MUPS are convenient, safe and not real crowded if you go at a reasonable time and ride in the right direction. At most times you can ride 15 and up for 2-3 hours if you want with very few interruptions. I can be there in 5 minutes. It isn't easy around here to find a nearby road where you can easily do that, though I enjoy road riding too under the right conditions.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, the reconditioned MTB "Dormouse" is stripped down and ready for upgrading. Because of the nature of the parts, accelerated shipping was to expensive for me. Unfortunately, that means that the bulk of the parts will be ariving Wednesday afternoon. My first cataract surgery is schedualed for Thursday so I will have to go crazy Wed evening to build up the bike. I would like to get it done so that when they clear me to ride again I can without a lot of fuss. It seems that there will be a period of time in which I will not be able to work on the bike, and just about the time that's over I will be having the other eye done.

Oh well, the album has been started on my profile page and I will add to it as possible. So far, the new equipment list contains a Mavic Crossride wheelset, a Truvativ Stylo 2.2 all mountain crankset 24/36 double with bashguard, new Kenda Kozmic Light II tires and tubes, new SRAM PC991 chain, a new FSA carbon flatbar (older 25.4 closeout price) and new Ergon sculpted grips for twist shifters to try. Stuff that's staying with the bike for now includes Avid SD7 brakes and levers with a SRAM X.9 drive train (X.7 front derailleur). This should be much more capability than a 63 year old man can use......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12