Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my back porch

My back porch fronts our local spur of the major bicycle trail .5 miles away.

The kids use the spur trail a lot for bicycling, folks walk and scooters are a-plenty.

My wife and I so enjoy sitting and watching the kids playing, riding their bikes up and back and all around.

When we moved into our neighborhood 8 years ago, there were hardly any kids. Now they are all over the place. Must be the water.

I love having a "mixed-age" neighborhood where you have so much variety and activities.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whew............for a moment there I thought you could see....................

Today, there was a young fox sitting on my back porch. The cats were all bundled up against the french doors watching "kitty TV"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that you have a great "perspective".
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My niece lives out by you Denvr. I will have to come spend a week with her one of these years and try all those trails.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year ago, my parents both in their 80's, bought a beautiful townhouse in a Vancouver area suburb.

It is at the foot of the North Shore mountains and has both the Pitt river and Fraser running by. The rivers have dikes with a great trail system that leads through the foothills and really is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts.

The development is a family oriented property but is primarily working couples and retirees.

They just received a batch letter from the strata manger stating that " residents should curtail their childrens outdoor play activities to those that do not make noise, require loud yelling or conversation and that they should discourage excessive laughter from their children. Bikes are not to be ridden in any common areas".

My Mother is a tough 'ol gal who grew up in a depression era "have not" family. She appreciates all she has in life and they have done pretty well. Talking to her about the letter was the first time in my life, I actually heard her weep. She did however, compose herself, wrote the strongest letter I have read in a long time and managed to show the strata manager the door.

I don't know why I posted this but maybe it's just to say, don't get old before your time and stand up to those who would have you do so.

Btw, They both walk and cycle the trails daily, even through the "common areas".

Oh, She also loves to laugh and hear the same from kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 50+er that story reminds me of the CCR song "Lookin' Out My Backdoor".

Just got home from Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!
    Got to sit down, take a rest on the porch.
    Imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singing,

Doo, doo, doo, Looking out my back door.
    There's a giant doing cartwheels,
    A statue wearing high heels.
    Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
    A dinosaur Victrola listening to Buck Owens.
    Doo, doo, doo, Looking out my back door.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Denver. I too like having children frolicking around. I hear some people my age who complain about children. I am glad that I did grow up to resent them.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very fond of kids.For some bizarre reason the little buggers like me!!???With that being said they should be allowed to be kids.Play,get dirty,catch lightening bugs,ride bikes,ask goofy questions and just have a good time while they can.Anyone who denies them that is a sad excuse for a human.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=XR2;9642601]I'm not very fond of kids.For some bizarre reason the little buggers like me!!???With that being said they should be allowed to be kids.Play,get dirty,catch lightening bugs,ride bikes,ask goofy questions and just have a good time while they can.Anyone who denies them that is a sad excuse for a human.[/QUOTE]

Lets learn from others what NOT to do.
    Most countries in Europa have very low birth rates per women. Far below replacement values. Germany is 1.41, Italy=1.31, United Kingdom=1.66, Spain=1.31, France=1.98 (lots from North Africa).
    The consequence is declining population or Immigrants from Africa or Middle East with very different cultures. There are problems if that process is too fast. The different cultures do not assimilate.
    I know Germany quite well. The average German is well educated and all this education has made us selfish to the point that there is no interest in children. Going to exotic places in vacation trumps raising children. Materialism is rampant.
    The USA is more balanced in that. I suspect the large Hispanic Birthrate has something to do with the USA fertility rate being 2.05 per women. That is just enough to replace us but there are immigrants also.
    From my observation: The USA is generally more child friendly then Germany. I can not speak about the other countries as well. I have visited but not lived there.
    The data above is from the CIA Factbook.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhm........sure dood.