User Tag List

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow ride, take it easy

Went out today with the objective of keeping my heart rate under Zone 3. My typical ride is at the mid/upper Zone 4 range, so I thought I deserved and easy ride.

Let me tell you, that was one fun ride. No worries about average speed, just focused on keeping light pressure on the pedals and holding back. Not a single hill was hammered. Very relaxing and energizing. I should try this more often!

I don't fit slow rides into my routine often enough. Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ride on Monday was such a ride, and I enjoyed it as well.

The only thing to disturb the ambience was a 60 year old rider who overtook me doing at least 5 mph more than I. In spite of the fact that I held my line and could see him from 100 yards back, he yelled "On your left!" at a volume sufficient to wake the dead. If I could have caught up with him I would have given him a sound thrashing.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I normally cruise along at ~15 MPH. We are not training, just riding. The rides are always pleasant except the hills which do jack up the heartrate
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride for the conditioning and sport of riding, so I very seldom ride slow. However, I do enjoy tour riding whether the tour is a couple days or a week. That is when I ride slow. With 50 extra pounds on the bike it does no good to hammer anyway. The only problem with slow riding on a tour is that the hills are a work out even slow with the extra weight.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I led a club "A" ride on Labor Day into Princeton. Probably one of the only days of the year that I'd intentionally ride through town. I cruised some interesting neighborhoods, toured Carnegie Lake, and back down Nassau St. for a stop at the Witherspoon Bread Co. for chocolate almond croissants and coffee.

Some times it's good to slow down and smell the baked goods.

BTW, we got in a few hills and interval sprints on the way back.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    I don't fit slow rides into my routine often enough. Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?
    I will do 1 to 3 rides in Zone 2 every week. Time varies from 45 minutes to 3.5 hours depending on the build cycle or if it's a recovery week. Zone 2 builds the aerobic system and does not break down muscle tissue like Z3 and above do.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Banned.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I will do 1 to 3 rides in Zone 2 every week. Time varies from 45 minutes to 3.5 hours depending on the build cycle or if it's a recovery week. Zone 2 builds the aerobic system and does not break down muscle tissue like Z3 and above do.
    +1. Recovery rides are very important. As are days off.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out today with the objective of keeping my heart rate under Zone 3. My typical ride is at the mid/upper Zone 4 range, so I thought I deserved and easy ride.

Let me tell you, that was one fun ride. No worries about average speed, just focused on keeping light pressure on the pedals and holding back. Not a single hill was hammered. Very relaxing and energizing. I should try this more often!

It toook me a long time to understand that a rest day IS a training day.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My typical summer schedule is to ride every day but Mon & Fri. My Thursday ride is typically a recovery ride. because Wed is my hill fest. Although now that our daylight is gone in the mornings my schedule will change.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my rides are slow.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the world's worst about riding in my lower ranges. Since all my riding companions are younger and stronger, I am usually riding near or over my limits with them. This is also why most amateur cyclists never get any better, base riding is necessary to build the size of the engine. This is just catching on in my area and all the bike shops sponsor "base" rides in the spring.

My main riding partner has been busy racing lately, so I have been riding a lot by myself lately. I have been seriously concentrating on riding in my lower zones. I will go out and give myself a max heart rate and I don't care how slow I am going, I will not let my heart rate climb. I have been doing this for roughly two to three months and have seen a good bit of progress. I am also riding longer, further and enjoying my trips into the country. I took a casual 65 mile ride into the country last week, got lost 3 times and had a great time. (until I ran out of food)

I agree wholeheartedly with this type of riding. My personal trainer friend who just happens to be a triathlete, does primarily base rides. He gets his big blasts in spin classes he teaches and in his competitions.

I used to ride with a sponsored triathlete who was invited to the ironman in Hawaii to ride for Pepsi, and his formula for going faster was simple> "Time in The Saddle", so just ride and enjoy it.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

Fear no hill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know the rhythm is right. Foghat!
    Am I caller #9 .. Did I win?

In answer to your question. I sometimes set out to do that, but somehow It never ends up that way .. just too damned competitive I guess.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?

I don't understand the concept. I ride at whatever pace my body wants. Some days I'm very slow. It surprised me last night by hammering all the way from work to home.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I don't understand the concept. I ride at whatever pace my body wants. Some days I'm very slow. It surprised me last night by hammering all the way from work to home.
    +1
    I just get on the bike and steer. My legs do the rest at whatever speed they want.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two important times to do those recovery rides.......the day after a really hard day and a couple days before an expected hard day. Spin along with cadence 90-100 while keeping the HR in Zone 3 or below. BEWARE of seeing another rider up the road you'd like to chase down. Just the devil playing tricks on you!!