Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAIL TRAIL BUCKET LIST (top 10)

I plan on riding Rail trails as a vacation next spring. If you were to list your top 5 or 10 must rides what would they be? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by BikeWNC; 09-09-09 at 12:07 PM.

Neil_B
    Great Allegheny Passage from Mckeesport, PA to Cumberland, MD - 135 miles. You can take the C & O to DC if you want, but that's not a rail-trail and it's overrated in my opinion.

Pine Creek Trail from Wellsboro to Jersey Shore, PA - 62 miles.

Perkiomen Trail, from Oaks to Green Lane, PA - 21 miles.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to vote for the Katy too, since it's the only one I've ever ridden. Problem is, I love to climb and trains don't (or didn't). So that's why I pretty much avoid Rails to Trails.

Maybe there's one that's a trans - Rocky Mountains trail? Trans - Smokey Mountains?

You know . . . something with climbing!

Rick / OCRR

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well over on the other side of the state (Florida) is the Withalacoochie Trail which goes through Inverness. It is not very busy and you can do a century on it if you throw in a short road loop. In Winter Springs is the West Orange Trail which now goes from just north of Apopka all the way out to Clermont, FL. They are also putting the finishing touches on the Cross Seminole Trail. Of the bunch, I think the Withalacoochie Trail is the best. There are plans of tieing a bunch of the central Florida trails together into a grand network. If you scuba dive or snorkel, you can combine the Withalacoochie Trail ride with an excursion to dive in Crystal River and gawk at manatees.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who is trying to talk me into doing a mountain bike trip - hut to hut around Mt. Hood. It's 4 days, 3 nights, 137 miles with 18,000' of climbing. http://www.cascadehuts.com/

Rick this sounds like your type of ride. It doesn't sound like mine! I want to do it but the climbing is scaring me away plus... we have to be partially self-contained. Ugh! I want someone to carry all my junk! [yes I am whining... if not to you guys who then? ]

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I rode Elroy to Sparta in Wisconsin last summer. I loved it. My eyes told me it was flat but my legs said that it's up and down 3 hills with a tunnel through the top of each.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Sustrans- we are spoilt for choice on trail rides. You can go North to South or East to west- across England on recognised bike routes. They may involve a bit of road riding but back roads without too much traffic and Well signposted to give car drivers warning that they will meet cyclists on the road.

But the best for me has to be the South Downs Way. 100 miles of offroad that can be done in 3-2 or 1 day. And thanks to being overcrowded compared to the US- You will never be too far from civilisation.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    I have a friend who is trying to talk me into doing a mountain bike trip - hut to hut around Mt. Hood. It's 4 days, 3 nights, 137 miles with 18,000' of climbing. http://www.cascadehuts.com/
    Rick this sounds like your type of ride. It doesn't sound like mine! I want to do it but the climbing is scaring me away plus... we have to be partially self-contained. Ugh! I want someone to carry all my junk! [yes I am whining... if not to you guys who then? ]
    Yes Pam, you are correct!

It does sound like my kind of ride. I like climbing and I like that area, plus my wife likes that area (climbing, not so much), but I may be able to talk her into it. Neither of our mountain bikes are full suspension (hers: Giant XTC with disc brakes, mine: GT Zaskar LE), however, they might work for this!

We would have to fit rear racks, but we already have the panniers, so no worries!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Miami Scenic trails. About 80 miles of traffic-free (largely) bliss.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Well over on the other side of the state (Florida) is the Withalacoochie Trail which goes through Inverness. It is not very busy and you can do a century on it if you throw in a short road loop. In Winter Springs is the West Orange Trail which now goes from just north of Apopka all the way out to Clermont, FL. They are also putting the finishing touches on the Cross Seminole Trail. Of the bunch, I think the Withalacoochie Trail is the best. There are plans of tieing a bunch of the central Florida trails together into a grand network. If you scuba dive or snorkel, you can combine the Withalacoochie Trail ride with an excursion to dive in Crystal River and gawk at manatees.
    +1 to what Pat has written. I might add the James Van Fleet Trail which is mid way between the West Orange and the Withlacoochee. It runs north and south through the Green Swamp. I ride the Seminole Wekiva most of all because it is just outside my front door. The Pinellas Trail in the Clearwater/St Pete area is not bad but does not compare with Withlacoochee, West Orange, or James Van Fleet. JMHO
    SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Didn't realize there was a nice trail like that so close to my Mom's house in Bluefield. Hmmm... maybe an excuse to visit more often... lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Little Miami Scenic trails. About 80 miles of traffic-free (largely) bliss.
    A nice trail... we ride segments of this 2-4 times a WEEK!! Gotta love living close to a great resource like this one!
    Bob
    Zendiving Scuba Forum (Owner)
    Quest for Fitness
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't traveled around too much to ride rail trails, but here are some of my favorites (in no particular order)

- Wisconsin has four trails that are connected, with the center one being the Elroy-Sparta trail. The entire length of the trail is just over 100 miles. It is all dirt/packed gravel. My favorite two segments are the ends of the trail. The eastern end is the "400" Trail which runs through beautiful bluffs and wetlands. The western end is the "Great River" Trail which runs through more wetlands and along the Mississippi River into a wonderful National Bird Refuge.

- The Military Ridge Trail from the SE side of Madison up to Mt Horeb, WI is very nice. It goes further, but is not as scenic or as isolated from the road after Mt Horeb.

- The Root River Trail, centered in Lanesboro, MN - which is were I am right now. I've ridden on the trail on 3 of the past 4 days. This one is paved and runs along the Root River and at the foot of the bluffs in this region. Very scenic, nice towns along the trail, good pie & ice cream. Total trail length is around 60 miles.

- The Cannon Valley Trail out of Red Wing, MN. Only a 20 mile trail, but paved and very scenic. Red Wing is a great town to visit tool.

- Can't recall the exact name of it right now, but there is a trail out of Morgantown, WV that runs south along the Monongahela River that has great views of the river and hills. You can ride down to an 18th century fort (Prickett's Fort) just outside of Fairmont, WV. This is a gravel trail. Just north of Morgantown it runs past some old glass factories, through an arboreteum, and towards Pennsylvania.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add that I don't consider my list to be a "bucket" list. Ride my five trails then kick the bucket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kettle Valley Rail Trail in British Columbia gets good reviews in CGOAB journals. There is a segment between Grand Forks and Castlegar that is basically all down hill to Castlegar and is generally just a day trip.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favorites I have ridden:

Withlacoochee trail in florida

Katy Trail in Missouri

Favorites I have only read about over on the touring forum:
    Allegheny and the C&O

Now that I am reading this post I may have to add a few more to my list

My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Not impressed with this one. Pics make it look great. If you're into railroads there are some sights in Marlinton and Cass, but the rest of the trail is pretty bland.

Pine Creek in PA is #1 on my list. Only thing that worries me about that one is that it runs the river valley, and the real sights are on the ridges above.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Not impressed with this one. Pics make it look great. If you're into railroads there are some sights in Marlinton and Cass, but the rest of the trail is pretty bland.

Pine Creek in PA is #1 on my list. Only thing that worries me about that one is that it runs the river valley, and the real sights are on the ridges above.
    Do you mind a hike of, say, a couple of miles mid-ride? Stop at the Turkey Trail on the Pine Creek Trail, park your bikes in the rack, and hike up to the scenic lookout in Leonard Harrison State Park. Much of the hike is on wooden stairs PA DCNR installed because of erosion. The view at the top is spectacular.

There are spots along the trail after it leaves the Gorge to switch over to local roads to get a different view, if you don't mind some hills. From Blackwell, for instance, you can follow Rt 414 for a couple of miles, and get back on the trail at Rattlesnake Rock. From Waterville you can ride south to Jersey Shore on Rt. 44, which is a signed PA Bike Route. (The trail is prettier, in my opinion, and of course car-free.)

While in the Gorge and Canyon, it's true you don't get the full feeling looking up from the bottom. But now that the leaves are beginning to turn, the colors on display offer compensation. And even when the Canyon is two walls of green, it's still pretty nice.

BTW, some of the towns on the Pine Creek Trail are so small they make Little Orleans on the C & O seem like Manhattan.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    kettle valley rail trail in british columbia gets good reviews in cgoab journals. There is a segment between grand forks and castlegar that is basically all down hill to castlegar and is generally just a day trip.
    +1

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pine Creek Trail, PA
    Stony Valley Rail Trail, Lebanon County, PA
    Virginia Creeper Trail, Abingdon, VA (excuse to visit sister)
    Not a rail trail, but want to ride the trail around the Blue Marsh Lake, Berks County, PA. I hear the back half may be too rough for my trail bike...will see.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

tcs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Thanks to Sustrans- we are spoilt for choice on trail rides. You can go North to South or East to west- across England on recognised bike routes. They may involve a bit of road riding but back roads without too much traffic...
    I want to visit the UK and ride some Sustrans routes, but I'm confused as to what sort of bike to bring. I know some of the routes are beautiful Macadam paths, but many of the pictures I see posted of Sustran route rides have folks riding in mud or sand or down rocky roads or even crossing fields.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

High Roller
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    - The Root River Trail, centered in Lanesboro, MN - which is were I am right now. I've ridden on the trail on 3 of the past 4 days. This one is paved and runs along the Root River and at the foot of the bluffs in this region. Very scenic, nice towns along the trail, good pie & ice cream. Total trail length is around 60 miles.

- The Cannon Valley Trail out of Red Wing, MN. Only a 20 mile trail, but paved and very scenic. Red Wing is a great town to visit tool.
    I second these two picks. We rode them frequently when we lived in southern Minnesota.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    I want to visit the UK and ride some Sustrans routes, but I'm confused as to what sort of bike to bring. I know some of the routes are beautiful Macadam paths, but many of the pictures I see posted of Sustran route rides have folks riding in mud or sand or down rocky roads or even crossing fields.

tcs
    Most of the Sustrans trails are now a hard surface but may not be smooth. Our local Cuckoo trail is tarmacadam but not very thick and has broken up in a few spots. But there are off road routes aswell so the ride chosen has to be selected.

But like the Trip I met a couple doing last week- Dover to Lands End and about 400 miles- They will be travelling on some trails- some Back roads that are designated as cycle routes and some well used roads. One thing though-The route will be bike safe- even if you have to share with cars on the road aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wabash Trace Nature Trail- Iowa

The Wabash Trace Nature Trail is a converted railroad right-of-way running over 60 miles through the scenic Southwest Iowa countryside from Council Bluffs to Blanchard on the Iowa/Missouri border. There are numerous small towns with amenities and friendly natives. Crushed limestone but doable on a road bike if need be.

Everyone should do the famous Thursday night Taco Ride at least once.

http://www.wabashtrace.org/
    http://tacoride.com/

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickelson trail in South Dakota,106 mi long,very scenic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast