Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Group Cycling and Safety

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Group Cycling and Safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 08:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you guys use the term "pace line" do you mean everyone lined up one directly behind the other?

Even as a sort of noob I'd never do that, I'll always offset myself. Doesn't totally limit hitting the front guy, but sure lessens the chances of that happening.
Old 09-12-09, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
So what's with cyclist not following the VC.
Thats easy - a bicycle is not a car. IMHO - When it is being ridden on the main roads it should follow the VC, but what about on bike paths and side walks?

I may be wrong but I bet the OP will do a rolling non-stop at a stop sign so as not to unclip and dab or ride up on stopped cars on their right side on the shoulder when they are stopped at a light, this is clearly against the VC - but cyclists get away with it because we are "special". As cyclist we only choose to follow the VC when we want to - taking liberties when it pleases us and I doubt there is not one of us that won't take a few liberties. What car would be able to go around road construction by taking the side walk for example. So what this does is give a sense of empowerment to some who already feel either invincible or self righteous.

Me - I don't always follow the VC, but I only take risks appropriate for me.

This thread really belongs in S&A. It is broader than a 50+ issue.
You are correct. The most VC correct cyclist uses a California stop including me.
I have had 2 close calls with that recently. Such a rolling stop relies on hearing the car coming. That works with cars 100%. I had 2 situations where Cyclist were coming. Dark clothes against green bushes background. I did not see them. One time a car came very slowly, I could not hear it and hit it almost.
Therefore I think California stops are dangerous but most of us do it.
Biking against traffic seems to me more dangerous especially if another Cyclist is going with the traffic on the other side. Imagine the motorist going through the middle of that.
I will look at S&A sub forum. I was not aware of it.
Old 09-12-09, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy
When you guys use the term "pace line" do you mean everyone lined up one directly behind the other?

Even as a sort of noob I'd never do that, I'll always offset myself. Doesn't totally limit hitting the front guy, but sure lessens the chances of that happening.
There is a problem with offset also. You may wind up with some overlap if you do it all day long with strong wind. In that case it is dangerous because the Cyclist in front may make an evasive maneuver for some debris or such. I had a recent accident because of that.
Best pace line is behind each other with some distance. More distance is better but of course you give up some effect of drafting.
Overlap pace line is often done to fight strong wind from side and front. We had a day with driving rain for 160 miles. The stronger Cyclists pulled us poor souls.
Old 09-12-09, 09:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. In my own personal experience I've come to understand that if I think someone is riding in an unsafe manner, I have a responsibility to protect myself (after all no one has more of a responsibility to do this than me). Hence, I probably would have slowed down and indicated that he should ride in front of me. If we wasn't willing to do this, I think I would have pulled over to the side of the road and had the "argument" you worked to avoid. (Although I suspect it wouldn't be much of an argument if I simply indicated that I was not going to continue to ride in the manner I deemed unsafe.) I don't think group riding in and of itself is bad. I think there are some bad riders out there.
+1

When this happens, I slow down and/or pull over (when it is safe for those behind me). I just don't tolerate being put in this position by another rider. There is no argument...I just won't ride that way and I will slow or stop until the problem goes away.

Last weekend I rode with the the fast group and a new rider was drafting near the front but swerving back and forth...Really squirrelly. Everyone behind him backed way off. Course, he couldn't see the effect he was having and was totally clueless. Someone finally took him aside and explained the rules. He actually appreciated the advice...Not like the idiot who apparently knows everything described by the OP.

I really believe in following the VC as the safest way to bicycle. Take the lane when you need it, ride in a predictable way and don't let anyone else put you in an unsafe position.
Old 09-12-09, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Been trying to think of a good answer to this. I ride alone and there is only one person to worry about on the ride. All I then have to do is look out for the cars and keep out of their way.

I sometimes ride with my Son-in-law and I find that we can get distracted on the back roads we ride on. Cars are so quiet that they just suddenly appear taking the whole width of the road and if we are riding in double file- even close double file- it can get dangerous.

Mind you- on the "Main" roads in towns all I have to watch out for are cars not noticing me. My awareness of other road users is high in these situations so not many problems do occur but they do happen.
Stapfam,
I do not want to seem a hypocrite. I do bike double file on a straight stretch country road. I expect a car from behind to see us and go around or let us know they are coming.
My complaint in the original post is about the blind LH curve. IMHO that should automatically mean go single file. I am trying here to raise awareness that many cyclist are not automatically go single file in dangerous situations.
Prior to this thread I was not sure what the Law says.
Hopefully this thread adds just a little awareness to those who in principle are law abiding but did not know that (like me).
There are some who in principle flaunt the law. Those folks worry me because I fear they do not know what they are doing.
Old 09-12-09, 10:01 AM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid question alert What is "VC biking" I'm sure it's something about defensive or something like that and not VietCong.

I'm serious, don't know about this.
Old 09-12-09, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGtrack
Stupid question alert What is "VC biking" I'm sure it's something about defensive or something like that and not VietCong.

I'm serious, don't know about this.
Vehicular Cycling.
That means that Cyclist have to behave just like cars. Stop at lights, stop signs, bike on the right side, go in the proper lanes for turns, observe right of way rules.
Most of us bend the rules a bit because Cyclist are vulnerable and not likely to kill someone. VC rules are written because cars can and do kill.
The problem with not cycling VC comes from unexpected traffic situation. A car driver may look for traffic coming from the right traffic lane and not from the left.
It really is a problem around blind curves or at dusk. We should not expect car drivers to look all over for crazy cyclist.
Not to mention that many of us drive on automatic pilot hopefully not texting or using the phone or talking to other passengers.

Last edited by will dehne; 09-12-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 12:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Stapfam,
I do not want to seem a hypocrite. I do bike double file on a straight stretch country road. I expect a car from behind to see us and go around or let us know they are coming.
My complaint in the original post is about the blind LH curve. IMHO that should automatically mean go single file. I am trying here to raise awareness that many cyclist are not automatically go single file in dangerous situations.
Prior to this thread I was not sure what the Law says.
Hopefully this thread adds just a little awareness to those who in principle are law abiding but did not know that (like me).
There are some who in principle flaunt the law. Those folks worry me because I fear they do not know what they are doing.
Imagine a road 20ft wide with 10ft hedges and curve after curve after curve- very few straight bits and you just don't hear a car whether it is coming from front or behind.

Our backroads and I reckon there are more cyclists out on them on a Sunday than cars. Whether people get lulled into a false sense of security - I don't know- but unless you ride or drive sensibly- you are an accident waiting to happen.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-12-09, 01:25 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Will - I've noticed on a number of occasions, while riding MS 150s and with my local groups that a few people have the propensity to ride left of the center line. It's weird, but they continue to do it even if you draw it to their attention. Fortunately this is usually at low speed when they are chatting, but I do see a few who ride outside the designated bike lane for no apparent reason. We can't all be perfect!
As for pacelines, I only ride with people I feel confident with and have experience of their riding abilities and discipline. We used to have a reminder session before each ride on what to do and what not to do in a paceline, but that seems to have been neglected. I try to do this if we have a new rider and if they have never ridden in a line, we ask them to stay at the back and watch how things work.
A little while ago we had a strong rider join us who said he knew paceline riding but then proceeded to use his aerobars in the midst of the line. Others muttered about this, but no-one said anything until one evening he was in front of me in the line and I politely told him it was a no-no. No harm done and no offence taken.
Another point on pacelines, we try to limit the line to 6 riders, so we may have three groups. This minimizes the time during the rotation that the changeover rider is out in traffic.
Regarding the comment by someone about A and B groups, our experience has been the opposite. We ride at 18-20mph in the B group. There is another group which rides in the 20-22mph range, but they have had several serious accidents due to carelessness in the past couple of years. I have ridden with them, but soon realised they were an accident waiting to happen.
Old 09-12-09, 01:36 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I dislike large group rides and tight peletons. I ride solo or with a smaller group which does not mind getting spread out a bit. I am extremely comfortable with one of our ride leaders, but the other sometimes does things, such as coming up on the right side of right-turning cars, which go completely against my ingrained practice.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-12-09, 03:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Vehicular Correct.
Really? I always thought it stood for Vehicular Cycling. I hope I'm right. I don't like being "correct".
Old 09-12-09, 07:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Will - I've noticed on a number of occasions, while riding MS 150s and with my local groups that a few people have the propensity to ride left of the center line. It's weird, but they continue to do it even if you draw it to their attention. Fortunately this is usually at low speed when they are chatting, but I do see a few who ride outside the designated bike lane for no apparent reason. We can't all be perfect!
As for pacelines, I only ride with people I feel confident with and have experience of their riding abilities and discipline. We used to have a reminder session before each ride on what to do and what not to do in a paceline, but that seems to have been neglected. I try to do this if we have a new rider and if they have never ridden in a line, we ask them to stay at the back and watch how things work.
A little while ago we had a strong rider join us who said he knew paceline riding but then proceeded to use his aerobars in the midst of the line. Others muttered about this, but no-one said anything until one evening he was in front of me in the line and I politely told him it was a no-no. No harm done and no offence taken.
Another point on pacelines, we try to limit the line to 6 riders, so we may have three groups. This minimizes the time during the rotation that the changeover rider is out in traffic.
Regarding the comment by someone about A and B groups, our experience has been the opposite. We ride at 18-20mph in the B group. There is another group which rides in the 20-22mph range, but they have had several serious accidents due to carelessness in the past couple of years. I have ridden with them, but soon realised they were an accident waiting to happen.
Thank you Artmo for the measured response. I am not very adverse to cycling side by side as you may remember. I get upset if the bikers take up all of the road and there is a blind curve ahead or behind.
I like to live a little longer.
This thread MAY have raised consciousness to this perhaps a little in some cyclist.
If so, it was worth it.
Old 09-12-09, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Really? I always thought it stood for Vehicular Cycling. I hope I'm right. I don't like being "correct".
You may be correct after all. I am relying on my memory banks here which have shown to be faulty at times.
--------------
Upps, I Googled it and you are right and correct.
Old 09-12-09, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Imagine a road 20ft wide with 10ft hedges and curve after curve after curve- very few straight bits and you just don't hear a car whether it is coming from front or behind.

Our backroads and I reckon there are more cyclists out on them on a Sunday than cars. Whether people get lulled into a false sense of security - I don't know- but unless you ride or drive sensibly- you are an accident waiting to happen.
That sounds Scary.
The special issue we have here is that we have relatively few Cyclist on our roads as compared to Europa. That means that our car drivers get the shock of the day if some jerk comes at them in their lane.
Old 09-12-09, 08:00 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very wary on large group event rides. There are too many inexperienced cyclists on those type rides and more often than not someone goes down. So I usually off and hang a few meters of the back. Sure it costs me some extra effort but I'll trade that for safety any day. So if I can't be right on the front I hang off the back. But I also get to ride with some former pro riders. They like to ride with their elbow touching mine as we ride side by side. At first I was near panic being so close but now I trust them and I guess they trust me so there is some comfort in knowing where the other rider is. Both those guys have way more 1000 mile weeks on the bike than I have months so they are rock solid and give me the confidence to ride like that. But put me in a chaotic group of weekend warriors and I'm out of there.
Old 09-13-09, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Well, I am posting to get your $.02
It is difficult to precisely describe a situation. We have here sort of a rule for cyclist and cars to leave a distance of 3 ft between car and bike and 3 ft to the curb.
I would not dare to go over toward center of the road because there have been numerous instances where a car passed from behind with another car coming from the front. I may be doing 15 MPH or less as were the cars are doing 30 MPH or more. The Idea to BLOCK the car from behind may be not sound advise given my experience. Definitely not on a country road. You will not live long.
The cyclist in my post above knew he was going against traffic. I suspect he does that often and it bothers me because he leads other people.
Please observe that I mentioned parked cars also plus the 3 ft rule (dooring!).
The only rule I know of is to ride as close to the right as practicable - not an arbitrary distance of 3 feet or any other number. I'd be amazed if it is different in Illinois; this IS the written law in Michigan, and it was in Illinois last time I looked. It's a RECOMMENDATION to allow a clearance to parked cars when they're present, but I don't think it's written in the law.