Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: 9/11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9/11

While the rest of the world remembers 9/11 for the awful destruction caused that day in 2001, I remember 9/11/03 as the day I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Six years since that awful day. Three years and almost two months since the last chemo. Seven surgeries (three big ones, four little ones) and 22 inches of chest and abdominal scars. And approaching 11,000 miles on the bike since the last chemo.

A somber anniversary. I mark it by encouraging everyone, again, to get that colonoscopy and to encourgage all your friends, relatives, aand acquaintances to do the same. A little prevention goes a long, long way.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the annual reminder. I think I would still be just thinking about getting a colonoscopy without your original posts on the subject.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    While the rest of the world remembers 9/11 for the awful destruction caused that day in 2001, I remember 9/11/03 as the day I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Six years since that awful day. Three years and almost two months since the last chemo. Seven surgeries (three big ones, four little ones) and 22 inches of chest and abdominal scars. And approaching 11,000 miles on the bike since the last chemo.

A somber anniversary. I mark it by encouraging everyone, again, to get that colonoscopy and to encourgage all your friends, relatives, aand acquaintances to do the same. A little prevention goes a long, long way.
    I am glad for you.
    May I ask you for some information I do not have?
    Not everyone gets colon cancer. Is there a cause and effect for more likely colon cancer? Diet? Hereditary? Fiber?
    Please, I am not getting into your situation but you may know more then I do about this subject.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember 9/11/03 as the day I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Six years since that awful day.

I mark it by encouraging everyone, again, to get that colonoscopy and to encourgage all your friends, relatives, and acquaintances to do the same. A little prevention goes a long, long way.
    Kerlenbach, , buddy! I commend you on your success, and your admonition to all to "get 'er done" when it comes to colonoscopy. We lost a dear friend at 54 to colon ca. If she had a colonoscopy at 45 and 50, I believe she might be with us today.

I am a 7 yr survivor of male breast cancer! Yes, men have breasts, and yes they do get breast cancer, though rare. Bottom line is be vigilant.

For those of us in this forum, while we never expect it, we're getting to be of the age where things start to go wrong. C'est la vie.

Another story is my 6 yr old grandson. Pardon me while I "hijack" this post for a second. Just before his 6th birthday he was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma, a rare form of childhood cancer. He had a successful 7.5 hr. surgery to remove the tumor, and unfortuneatly they had to take his right kidney as well. He then had 5 months of aggressive chemotherapy.

He's now at Miami children's Hosp, under going a "auto-transplant", a term applied to a bone marrow transplant based on a transfusion of his own stem cells. They were harvested from his blood after his 2nd chemo, and analyzed and found to be "clean."

After he received a very heavy 4 day 24 hr chemotherapy, his stem cells have now been transfused back into him. They will rebuild his bone marrow and any other cells damaged by chemo. We hope he'll be going home in a few weeks. He won't go back to school before the New Year, but God willing, he'll be fully cancer free and on the road to a full normal life.

Tyler is a trooper. My wife and I recently bought a "department store" tandem online so that we might both enjoy our local road bike club rides. My grandson Tyler was thrilled with the purchase, and could not wait to ride it. He'll soon be tall enough to reach the pedals, so I was reluctant to buy a "kid stoker" kit. With his input, we designed a foot rest that allows him to ride "Jazz" the name he gave to our tandem. Pix attached. The one pic is of him "in training" to be my stoker, a name given the the rear seat on a tandem. click on the icon to see the full size pic.

I fully believe in the power of prayer, and if you are so inclined, please pray for Tyler's full and complete recovery. Please pray also for Elizabeth, a 1 yr old leukemia patient in the room next to Tyler. Dr.s only give her a 10% chance of survival.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobthib; 09-12-09 at 05:27 PM.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9/11/01 was the day I returned to work after surgery to remove Prostate Cancer. I heard it on the Radio at work and decided that I was going to have a short day at work.

8 years later and I still remember that day as the start of my recovery.
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-12-09 at 03:41 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    I am glad for you.
    Not everyone gets colon cancer. Is there a cause and effect for more likely colon cancer? Diet? Hereditary? Fiber?
    Please, I am not getting into your situation but you may know more then I do about this subject.
    Check out www.uptodate.com/patients.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big congrats, Kerlenbach, from one cancer survivor to another!
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait untill my next colonoscopy. They gave me great drugs and told me I had to pass gas before I went home. There must have been six or eight of us seperated by a curtain tooting and laughing like crazy! My check up was negative even though I have family history on both sides.

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyler will be in my thoughts... it was 4 years ago my mom got stage 4 ovarian; she fought the sucker and had another pretty decent 2 1/2 years and fairly quickly left us.

For guys, also do a yearly digital prostate exam... do not only trust a PSA.
    1991 Trek 750 Multitrack Hybrid

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post
    Tyler will be in my thoughts... it was 4 years ago my mom got stage 4 ovarian; she fought the sucker and had another pretty decent 2 1/2 years and fairly quickly left us.

Riverside, thanks for the thoughts for Tyler.

My mom and her mom both died from ovarian cancer in their 50s. Turns out it's related to breast cancer, at least in some cases. If you have sisters they should be very aggressive in the health maintenance. Google BRAC. For people who are + for BRCA, there is an increase in incidence of Color cancer, as well as other forms, eg. prostate. Fore warned is fore armed.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    I am glad for you.
    For most kinds of colon cancer, genetics play a small role. Diet, environmental factors, and luck seem to be the biggest factors. The average age at diagnosis is 75; I was 47. Smoking, drinking, and lack of acitivity are major factors. As a result, I think most folks on this forum are at little risk for the disease. I did not smoke or drink, but I was a middle-aged sedentary lawyer with no family history when I was diagnoised, but I was a bit overweight, over-stressed, and eating a diet high in red meat.

I write these posts not so much for the benefit of those who post here, but to encourage all of you to get your friends and acquaintances to get the test. Significant physical activity, like cycling, will greatly reduce the risk of colon cancer. During a colonoscopy, the doctor can remove polyps before they can become cancerous and, as a result, prevent the development of the disease. No polyps = no colon cancer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bobthib - I wish the best for Tyler, and Elizabeth too. Childhood cancer is a terrible thing.

Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL drew55's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have sucessfully been ahead of the game after having 1/2 of my vocal cords removed as portions went tumorous and they started growing to the point of making breathing difficult. After the surgery and some light chemo for 3 months back in '85, the only thing noticiable left over is a fairly flat voice and a tendancy to easily become horse. Fortunatly for me, it's been more of a stumbling block and so far, nothing else.

Congrats Kerlenbach - regardless of how long - surving is an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Condolances on the loss of your mom...my father passed as a result of prostrate cancer - all along even after several surgeries it was a cancer that wasn't doing anything with PSA levels the comment not to trust the simple most comfortable test really hits home - Don't trust it as the only indicator.
    It's always windy - just get out and ride

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
    ♥♥ SW-FL Tour2015♥ http://bit.ly/Drew-SWFL-2015 ♥♥
    Please support if you can

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most kinds of colon cancer, genetics play a small role. Diet, environmental factors, and luck seem to be the biggest factors. The average age at diagnosis is 75; I was 47. Smoking, drinking, and lack of acitivity are major factors. As a result, I think most folks on this forum are at little risk for the disease. I did not smoke or drink, but I was a middle-aged sedentary lawyer with no family history when I was diagnoised, but I was a bit overweight, over-stressed, and eating a diet high in red meat.

I write these posts not so much for the benefit of those who post here, but to encourage all of you to get your friends and acquaintances to get the test. Significant physical activity, like cycling, will greatly reduce the risk of colon cancer. During a colonoscopy, the doctor can remove polyps before they can become cancerous and, as a result, prevent the development of the disease. No polyps = no colon cancer.
    Thank you for this response to my question.

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drew55 View Post
    Condolances on the loss of your mom...my father passed as a result of prostrate cancer - all along even after several surgeries it was a cancer that wasn't doing anything with PSA levels the comment not to trust the simple most comfortable test really hits home - Don't trust it as the only indicator.
    Thanks... my aunt did survive a bout of breast cancer. How's this for irony... my sister has spent most of her career as a financial administrator for both the Columbia and NYU Cancer Centers.

We SHOULD still do the PSA, it's value is mostly in tracking yearly results to see if any large change happens. BUT a digital exam should be done at the same time.

BTW, I was way remiss to not congratulating Kerlenbach both on beating it AND his almost 4 trips coast to coast on muscle powered 2 wheels... you are an inspiration!
    1991 Trek 750 Multitrack Hybrid

My Bikes
    Giant TCR 1, Norco Challenger
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mark 1 year cancer free (bladder), I congratulate everyone here with a courageous story to tell.
    Also as a side remark, everytime I see my doctor I get a digital exam, I almost forget what my doctor looks like now : )

Paul