Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-09, 08:29 PM   #1
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trued My Wheels Tonight

Took 5 minutes. LOL. I have to love having wheels that stay true. I have a Park TS-2 truing stand and tension meter but hardly needed either one. The Shimano 7950 24CL wheels have been great. I had to do the usual couple of touch up tension checks in first month but since then, almost a year later, they have stayed right on. I also checked my training powertap rear wheel but it didn't need a thing. I guess it is overbuilt by today's standards with an Open Pro rim, 32 2X 15/16 spokes.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 12:18 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will take out the slight wobbles in my wheels and I am pretty good at that- but 3 retrues and the wheels go into my builder. I reckon that there are somethings it is better to pay the experts to do and wheel building and trueing is one of those skills that others have more proficiency at than me.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 04:13 AM   #3
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.
trueing up wheels

Yea right when I try to do this I end up with a mess up rim.lol Now days I take it to my LBS they don't charge much do do it so I let them do it that way I get a much better ride
KDC1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 08:35 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Wow! That's some range of personal experience. I guess that's why they have both chocolate and vanilla.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 09:10 AM   #5
The Smokester

Bikes:
I have taken to building my own wheels now. Have stand, tensiometer and dishing gauge. My experience is the same...Touch up a new wheel after the first few hundred miles, check the tension and it will last for 10,000's of miles barring an accident.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 09:33 AM   #6
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
I have taken to building my own wheels now. Have stand, tensiometer and dishing gauge. My experience is the same...Touch up a new wheel after the first few hundred miles, check the tension and it will last for 10,000's of miles barring an accident.
That really is the key to it, getting that proper tension back after the first few good rides. It is so important to not wait too long before the first check. I usually do the tuneup after the first couple weeks and then again after a month. After that, all a well built wheel will need is a very minor touch up once a season.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:01 AM   #7
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
I built my own for several years.....I even built a few for others along the way. They were better versions of the traditional wheel than I could buy.

Lately I've returned to buying wheels from Mavic because I cannot purchase the materials used in those wheels for less than it costs to buy the wheel itself. MTB wheels from Mavic in the Crossride, Crosstrail series have a unique construction of special hubs that accomodate straight pull spokes and enoumously strong spokes and rim systems. Check tension, retrue, yes. Build from scratch......not any more.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 01:40 PM   #8
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
... I guess it is overbuilt by today's standards with an Open Pro rim, 32 2X 15/16 spokes.
That is not overbuilt at all (36 spokes might be).

I ride 32- and 36-spoke wheels exclusively and have not desire to switch to reduced spoke counts, paired spokes, etc. The higher the spoke count, the greater the wheel's strength-to-weight ratio. I favor 3X, although 2X front is probably acceptable. Radial spoking puts one hellacious load on the hub flange.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 03:22 PM   #9
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
The best way to learn to true wheels without messing them up is to build some wheels.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 03:51 PM   #10
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
That is not overbuilt at all (36 spokes might be).

I ride 32- and 36-spoke wheels exclusively and have not desire to switch to reduced spoke counts, paired spokes, etc. The higher the spoke count, the greater the wheel's strength-to-weight ratio. I favor 3X, although 2X front is probably acceptable. Radial spoking puts one hellacious load on the hub flange.
Through the last few years, I have built radially spoked front wheels for big guys (200/230lb range). It has always been my opinion that the radial was the strongest wheel I could put together............assuming that the hub could handle the load. I have never had a Shimano show any signs of damage from such a build and the modern hubs 105 and up are rated by Shimano for a radial front load.

I have just come off of 3 years on a set of Mavic 24 spoke Crossride disc wheels which after the initial tension check have not needed an adjustment or truing in spite of being used on dirt, traprock, potholes, ruts etc. This all has been under a 220 lb rider..........me

The real strength in a wheel is in its rim. Spokes are there to keep the rim round and to keep it from tacoing under side load. Modern box section or deep v rims have gotten quite a bit better in the last few years. Straight pull spokes eleminate another break point. Spokes that don't touch each other where they cross also don't wear at the cross point.

Edit: On the other hand, the new wheels coming in this week are 20 spokes front and rear...........

Last edited by maddmaxx; 09-12-09 at 03:56 PM.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote