Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a mechanic in LBS yesterday (for 15 minutes)

Yesterday I took my Litespeed in to my favorite LBS. I have never had the wheels trued other than a little tweaking by me and I also wanted to replace the rear wheel bearings. I usually do everything myself but I thought it would be nice to drop it off for a few days and let the owner / mechanic do it for me. I have my Poprad to ride as a spare anyway. Well, I carried my bike in the shop and the owners wife told me that the owner had to have an emergency operation to remove his gall bladder and part of his stomach and was in the hospital. After we talked about his condition for a while she asked me what I needed. I told her, bearings. She did not know what size I needed so I asked if I could take my wheel apart and see. She said sure. As I went into the work area she asked me if I knew how to adjust the shifter on a 3 speed bike. There was one in the stand and she had put a new rear tire on it but did not know how to adjust the shifting. Since I have been fixing up bikes in my garage for a local charity I have worked on a few 3 speeds so I knew a little about it. I adjusted the shifting and the brakes and took it for a test ride. It was really nice having a bike in that big heavy duty stand and having a whole bunch of Park tools all in neat order on the bench and wall to work with.
    After I finished the 3 speed I took my wheel apart and figured out which bearings I needed.
    Then some guy came in and we helped him pick out some tubes for his bike.
    I don't think I am ready to be a "wrench" but it was fun for a little while.
    If I was going to be in the bike business I would rather be out front selling things to people.
    The owners wife told me that as soon as he gets out of the hospital they are putting their bike business up for sale, so if any of you would like to move to a nice little town (Crystal River Fl.) where the weather is great all year this might be the opportunity to make your dreams come true

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good spring diving in that area for cross sport fun.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    Good spring diving in that area for cross sport fun.
    ....and great cave diving in that region as well.... not sure I could make both of those hobbies align very well though.
    Bob
    Zendiving Scuba Forum (Owner)
    Quest for Fitness
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    The owners wife told me that as soon as he gets out of the hospital they are putting their bike business up for sale, so if any of you would like to move to a nice little town (Crystal River Fl.) where the weather is great all year this might be the opportunity to make your dreams come true
    beautiful area...

sorry to read about the business going up for sale... shops down here are doing very well as of late, even without the snowbirds...

btw, how do you adjust a Sturmey-Archer?

:-)

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to read about the business going up for sale... shops down here are doing very well as of late, even without the snowbirds...
    It really isn't a bad thing for them to sell the shop, the owner is in his 70's and I think his wife has been ready for him to retire for a while now. I think they do a pretty fair business.
    btw, how do you adjust a Sturmey-Archer?
    I don't know what brand the three speed was but I moved the twist grip shifter to the lowest position, took the slack out of the cable at the rear and then tweaked the adjuster a little with the threaded rear connecter.