Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which of your cars do your bikes remind you of?

I know it's a bit silly...

I was thinking about which of the cars I've owned are sort of like the bikes I ride. My Roubiax is a little like my Avalon, in that the ride is comfortable for long trips, but also a little like my old RX-7, in that it's rather responsive and peppy.

My Globe, however, reminds me of my old Ford Explorer -- heavy, and I can tote stuff around on it.

Anyway, do any of your bikes remind you of one of the cars you've owned?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's easy. The Xtracycle is the two-wheeled equivalent of my Subaru Outback wagon.

I don't think the RB-T is like any of my other cars. It is a sports tourer, so could be a bit like the Subaru WRX wagon, but it is a turbo, and I ride slow. It isn't like my MGA other than each is a bit older than my other cars/bikes. It is more like my big scooter; comfortable for long rides and can haul enough for an overnighter or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is easy....they all remind me of my '72 MGB.

Open air wind-in-my-hair, nimble, fun and easy to maintain.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all do, in that the purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg!

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chevy Chevette - weak motor..

Fear no hill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F350 super duty reminds me of my Canondale r2000 they are both tanks.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Hercules 3-Speed reminds me of my '68 MG Midget (now gone, i.e. old technology or no technology at all) whereas my Calfee is like my Miata (fast, fun, goes round corners quick!) and my fixed gear MASI is like my Insight (very efficient) . . . except the bike is older.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    80's bridgesgtone 450, '09 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually love this question being both a car & bike enthusiast. I like to think that my latest acquisition, a bianchi vigorelli - reynolds 631 steel tubing with ultegra/105 mix groupset reminds me of a 1969 lancia fulvia. Sport ready, sexy, a little odd & out of place but all classic.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike (2003 Trek 1000) reminds of my current car (2009 Yaris hatchback). Not real cool, not real showy, not real fast, but easy to park, didn't pay a lot for it, great fuel mileage, gets me where I want to go, and only big enough for me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cars have been cars, my bikes bikes. The best combination though was my Diamondback Ascent which fit very neatly into my 1962 VW Transporter. Roll it in, turn the handlebars to the left and it was parked and secure.

Then there is my American Eagle/Nishiki 10 speed, which has outlasted all of my cars combined.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vintage Tommasini reminds me of all the Italian sports cars I have wanted to own but never have.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say that Dormouse is like my Cube...........but the Cube is black.

Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL drew55's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting analogies....
    My Cannondale R800 - like a Chevy or Ford - good all around transportation
    My Orbea Ora - like a sports cars I havn't had since I was in my 20s
    My Recumbant - like an SUV, comfortable, big and bulky
    My Mountain bike - like an old Jeep
    It's always windy - just get out and ride

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
    ♥♥ SW-FL Tour2015♥ http://bit.ly/Drew-SWFL-2015 ♥♥
    Please support if you can

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bianchi Mountain bike- My old MK1 Landrover--All terrain but struggles up the steep hills.

Tandem-Mk 1 Austin healey sprite No control over the thing and slow up hills

OCR3 - Ford Cortina Mk1 Heavy and no engine

Need I go on?

Boreas and the TCR C are like a little sports car that is for show- What they lack in power- they make up in manoeuverability and Fun.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Stumpjumper is like our Subaru Forestor - able to go places I don't have the skill and huevos for.
    The Roubaix is like my Fiat 850 Spider - sexy and sporty, but with an underpowered motor.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm, not enough cars to accurately compare but I guess my Specialized Tricross Comp reminds me of my Acura in terms of comfort and nice handling. Better yet, maybe a Lexus SUV (which I don't have) since it also handles chores well as a light touring bike.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red one.

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I like the photo compare theme.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cars?
    Nope, this is better...

We've been bingeing on DVDs of HBO's Big Love, the great cable show about a polygamist family; a man and his three wives.

Tricia pointed out I'm a bicycle polygamist with three bikes.
    So, of course, we started trying to decide which bike corresponded to which of Bill's wives.

I said the Fixed gear was Margene, because it's young and hip, like her. Nikki is the commuter bike because Nikki knows how to work and handle the grunt work. My Kestrel should be Barb, because it, and she, are good for the long haul.

Tricia had a different take. The commuter bike is Barb because Barb is reliable, and equipped to handle the load. Bill can always turn to Barb, she'll get him through whatever comes along.

Nikki is the fixed gear. She has her own beauty. It's a sparse and simple beauty, but beauty none the less. She does, however, take some getting used to. She has pretty basic needs, but like a flat on the rear wheel of a fixed gear, she has her own special maintenance issues.

Margene is the Kestrel, because your road bike makes you feel young, fast and exciting, and reminds you why you love to ride your bike. A lot. And the drop bars provide a variety of positions.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Cars?
    Nope, this is better...

We've been bingeing on DVDs of HBO's Big Love, the great cable show about a polygamist family; a man and his three wives.

Tricia pointed out I'm a bicycle polygamist with three bikes.
    So, of course, we started trying to decide which bike corresponded to which of Bill's wives.

I said the Fixed gear was Margene, because it's young and hip, like her. Nikki is the commuter bike because Nikki knows how to work and handle the grunt work. My Kestrel should be Barb, because it, and she, are good for the long haul.

Tricia had a different take. The commuter bike is Barb because Barb is reliable, and equipped to handle the load. Bill can always turn to Barb, she'll get him through whatever comes along.

Nikki is the fixed gear. She has her own beauty. It's a sparse and simple beauty, but beauty none the less. She does, however, take some getting used to. She has pretty basic needs, but like a flat on the rear wheel of a fixed gear, she has her own special maintenance issues.

Margene is the Kestrel, because your road bike makes you feel young, fast and exciting, and reminds you why you love to ride your bike. A lot. And the drop bars provide a variety of positions.
    Post of the day!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Jamis? Got to be my first car: a '51 Chevy Sedan. Heavy steel, all day comfort.
    I called my Chevy "the tank"; I call my Jamis "the beast". Maybe I should rethink that.

My Giant is my current car, an '01 BMW 325i (hm. also a sedan).
    The lightest or fastest thing on the road but comfortable, quick and nimble.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than relating specific cars to specific bikes, I am more inclined to see a pycho relationship between the car(s) and bike(s) one purchases.

I was encouraged to get into cycling by an older gentleman who was a librarian at the Oakland Public Library, where I worked part time when I was around 20 years of age. I was really into sports cars and Formula 1 at the time, but all I could afford was a Toyota Corolla (an entry-level car which cost $2000 new in those days!). This guy owned a Porsche C, but he also owned a couple of Schwinn Paramounts, and he talked me into buying my first 10-speed bike. I started off with a cheap Japanese bike, and then upgraded to a Peugeot PX-10, an entry-level bike.

Now I own a 2000 Subaru Legacy L wagon, as well as a nearly-vintage Kuwahara tandem, a 1989 Benotto track bike used as a fixed-gear bike on the road, a 2000 carbon fiber Trek, and a Dolan track bike actually used on the track. The word that comes to mind is "practical." I think Subaru owners are very practical because Subarus, and especially Subaru wagons, are about the most practical cars on the road, but they also handle like European sports sedans in a fast corner (but without having to fill them with premium gasoline, and with far greater reliability). I like to think the bike selection reflects practicality as well. Nothing really fancy or ostentatious, just tools laid out for work.

I once knew a wealthy German guy. He owned a bronze Mercedes and had his custom-made bikes painted to match the car.

I'm waiting for Subaru to come out with a turbo diesel, my next car. Right now, I think diesels are the most practical, but they need to be turbocharged for the performance.

L.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    ...and especially Subaru wagons...

See this link for my WRX and OBXT

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Klein is like a Corvette (which I've never owned). It's got a lot more capability than will ever get used. It's all poseur points.
    My Bridgestone is like our Saturn SL1. It does absolutely everything that I need a bike to do it's just not very flashy.
    My Marin beater bike is like my old Ranger pick up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast