Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

philisophical question to ponder...

Hi fellow over 50 folks, I kinda lurk around the 50+ forum and post a reply occasionally, but this is may first thread.

A little pre question intro; I am 53, will be 54 very soon and the wife is going to be 50 in Nov. We are among the faster riders in our area and often have taken heat for it, ie. why do you guys always ride so fast...you ride too much, things like that. Well in pondering this question, while riding, I think I have found a reply and wanted some thoughts from others, or maybe better yet, comments on wether this has crossed your thoughts as well, so here goes...

My reply would be; "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"

It often enters my thoughts as I ride on a beautiful road, race some young *** up a hill, or do 150 mile ride just because I can, that there will come a time when none of this will no longer be possible and in a personnel way it saddens me. Have or do any of you ponder this?

This forum has some unique perspectives and I will enjoy seeing what others have to say.

DAN

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do..but keep a postive outlook which it sounds you do.
    I too am 50, and ride 350-400 miles per month. I usually average 18-19 mph.

Here's one to ponder; I'm out the other week riding my usual route when I hear this huffing behind me.
    Here I glance to the side to see this guy, who must have been 65-70 on an old schwinn varsity clocking right there with me. I mean this guy had white knee socks, dickies shorts, sneakers, a tee shirt, no gloves, no helmet. Far from a biker looking dude....and he's blowing by me like I'm standing still.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question sounds like a veiled compliment to me.

It sounds far preferable to "how do you manage to ride so slow?", which is what I'm asked all too often.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ride at your own pace and let others ride at their's. This applies to both sides of the comment. I tend to get a little quirky when others tell me what I should or should not do. (assuming it's a personal thing, not business)

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you can't raise yourself to other's levels, bring them down to your own level."

That is what your acquaintances are doing to you.

Who knows how fast you can ride in later years? We have some 65+'rs who could wipe you out - Will Dehne, for one. Not I, however.

That really isn't the point. You ride fast because you can and you enjoy it. They are simply jealous.

So, if they ask "why do you guys always ride so fast...you ride too much, things like that,"

Tell them:

"Because I(we) can and I(we) enjoy it."
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-13-09 at 06:42 AM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I'm 57 and still ride a bicycle for pretty much the same reason I did 50 years ago: wind in my face, bending into curves, sunshine or rain, simple physical principles demonstrated in the great world.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride with younger riders or ride alone.

I stopped riding with one club, their "very fast" rides (according to their website) were not-so-fast. I was killing 4 hours to ride 45 miles, this included a 30 minute break. I can do 70 miles in that time if I ride alone.

I now ride longer rides with a friend who is younger. We are well matched in personality, pace and distance.

Michael
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that my reference to "I'm too fast" is miss leading what I'm shooting for in this convesation. The point of the inquiry is, "do you think about the time you will no longer be able to ride" this may be because of age, injury, whatever!

Ability isn't my motive, the diminishing of ability/health is!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my parent’s longevity and health as they approached 75 and 85, I think I'll be cycling a long time.

I hope to cycle at a 17 mph pace until I'm 70. I'll have to stop riding about 5 to 10 years after that. This will be more out of fear of injury than anything else.

I've got about 25 more years.

Michael

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    So, if they ask "why do you guys always ride so fast...you ride too much, things like that,"

Tell them:

That would be my response.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barrett,
    Not to be morbid, but to illistrate, in my mom's family all the women lived into their 90's, so she felt she would be around to a ripe old age as well. She died at 65. My wifes father was an athelete and very active person, he now sits in a chair 24/7, cannot talk or care for himself, been this way for about 4-5 years he's 74. So it's not like you will get to choose when it will end, you just hope you will be one of the lucky ones.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that. I'm planning on what's probable, not what's possible.

I also am living well everyday, knowing what it all could stop at anytime.

Michael

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leinad View Post
    I think that my reference to "I'm too fast" is miss leading what I'm shooting for in this convesation. The point of the inquiry is, "do you think about the time you will no longer be able to ride" this may be because of age, injury, whatever!

Ability isn't my motive, the diminishing of ability/health is!!!
    The answer from me is: All the time but in a positive way. I thank Providence for being able to do what I do as long as Providence lets me do it.
    This answers your question I think.
    There are two more reasons why I bike fast compared to most people.
    Weight control
    I love to eat and drink well. I put on weight fast if I do not bike or exercise 3 hours per day. The alternative is starving my system. That is no fun at all.
    BTW, slow biking will do nothing for weight control.
    Runners High
    I get an feeling of euphoria if I bike fast and long. For instance: On our get together in Glenn Wood Springs I did the round trip from GWS to the Tavern and back under 4 hours. That is total time and there are many stops and lights on that 70 mile round trip. I was high as a kite from that ride and followed with a car drive to North Platte Nebraska.
    --------------
    Nowhere enters the opinion of others in these priorities. It is MY LIFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfaYFIHt1g
    Last edited by will dehne; 09-13-09 at 06:29 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barrett,
    Not to be morbid, but to illistrate, in my mom's family all the women lived into their 90's, so she felt she would be around to a ripe old age as well. She died at 65. My wifes father was an athelete and very active person, he now sits in a chair 24/7, cannot talk or care for himself, been this way for about 4-5 years he's 74. So it's not like you will get to choose when it will end, you just hope you will be one of the lucky ones.
    This is so true. Absolutly matches my experience.
    This fact of life makes me go faster in defiance to the fact that we are powerless in the face of Providence. Going full speed with my bike into the face of a rainstorm, on Aero bars is such a response.
    That is why some people do Hang Gliding, Mountain Climbing, Risk their lifes in all out endavors.
    This is NOT for everyone, just some of us.
    IT IS MY LIFE, watch the song video (bon jovi).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfaYFIHt1g
    Last edited by will dehne; 09-13-09 at 06:28 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I try not to plan for that which I can't do. I try to do what I can.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the key would be to live in the present as much as possible. As long as I can ride today, if I want, that is the important thing to me. I usually can't totally control what happens in my future, so hopefully, what I do today will have a positive effect on the future. That is, if I don't get run over by a semi.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Tell them:

+1. I was going to write the same thing.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fellow over 50 folks, I kinda lurk around the 50+ forum and post a reply occasionally, but this is may first thread.

My reply would be; "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"

It often enters my thoughts as I ride on a beautiful road, race some young *** up a hill, or do 150 mile ride just because I can, that there will come a time when none of this will no longer be possible and in a personnel way it saddens me. Have or do any of you ponder this?

This forum has some unique perspectives and I will enjoy seeing what others have to say.

DAN
    Its about the meaning of life. Once you accept your own mortality, you hope to grow old gracefully. I think its a good idea for younger riders to socialize with riders who are in their 70's or 80's. When you're young, everything is self centered. When you get older, you look outwards, to others and accept their faults along with their virtues. Its about self giving. Do you remember Shel Silverstein's book, the Giving Tree?

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . It often enters my thoughts as I ride on a beautiful road, race some young *** up a hill, or do 150 mile ride just because I can, that there will come a time when none of this will no longer be possible and in a personnel way it saddens me. Have or do any of you ponder this?
    It's always possible you will not reach that age.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You do what you think is best for you. I'll do what I think is best for me."

Works for lots of situations.

My Bikes
    1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a critic around every corner, isn't there? I'm 56, enjoy many hobbies and still love to ride horses, kayak and bicycle. I'm in good health and certainly do not take it for granted, but also believe that one should seize the day and do whatever one enjoys for as long as possible. My mother passed away at age 51, my father at 61 and my best friend died in her sleep of a heart attack-at 43.

One of my favorite quotes from a movie is: "I don't want to look back and be at the end of someone else's life." That said, continue to do whatever makes you happy and avoid negative people who don't seem to 'get it'.

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qcottay, that is so true! In a way though, that may in fact be an easier out! I mean when the end comes, it comes and so it shall be, but I wonder what it will be like to look back some day and say "man, I use to ride like that" or "wow I miss being able to (add what you like here)"

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retro grouch, I think you miss my point, read post #8

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qcottay, that is so true! In a way though, that may in fact be an easier out! I mean when the end comes, it comes and so it shall be, but I wonder what it will be like to look back some day and say "man, I use to ride like that" or "wow I miss being able to (add what you like here)"
    Nope - I don't do that.

I keep finding new and interesting stuff to do and learn, to use my talents in different ways.

Each day is a new challenge, where I find and use new talents to meet those challenges.

I doon't look back with regrets, only forward with anticipation.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-13-09 at 04:51 PM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your setting yourself up for depression.
    Yes - I consider that there are only so many seasons left - what that number is I don't know. This only makes me want to make the best out of them while hoping that medical technology will give me even more.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast