Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody tried the personals?

No... NOT for swinger sex, romance or marriage. A personal ad is how I met Elaine, second wife and a HUGE upgrade from my first. We're doing better than ever 22 years later.

I refer to finding a biking partner that's a good speed/endurance match. One of my employees is a good match but doesn't want to ride very often. Then I have friends who I love dearly but that I have to wait for a lot and who are daunted by the hills I like to conquer. We have a family friend who is in her early 60s -- a tiny, scrawny vegetarian who I doubt weighs even 95 lbs. She will cheerfully go up the steepest hill I can find, and damned if she can't ride all day without getting tired, but she is only in Austin occasionally.

Patience is not my biggest virtue -- When I ride I want to push myself, not cruise around in circles waiting on somebody to catch up. I ride hybridized mountain bikes using no clips or cleats. Handlebars higher than the seat and full suspension are comfortable to me and let me ride hours without my back getting tired. But my equipment, riding style and fitness level -- although good -- is such that I would put a hard core roadie in the same position I am in with most of my friends.

So.......thinking of putting an ad under "strictly platonic."

Comments?

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    A personal ad is how I met Elaine, second wife and a HUGE upgrade from my first.
    Did you get a good deal on the trade-in?

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted, riding partner?

I'd suggest sticking with a local mountain biking group.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that you like to push yourself, why do you want a riding partner? Where I live currently, I ride alone. I like to ride the forest roads, which tend to be steep and unimproved. There aren't a lot of other adult residents here who ride--we do have out-of-state cyclists passing through the area during spring, summer and fall. Occasionally, I worry about no one else being present if I'd have an accident in the hinterlands, but that's life, isn't it. I'm not going to let worries keep me from getting out and enjoying cycling. I do take my cellphone with me, but many areas where I ride don't get a signal.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Did you get a good deal on the trade-in?
    Cost me a few $$$ -- but I don't look back. I am on reasonably good terms with #1.

Don

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Wanted, riding partner?

I'd suggest sticking with a local mountain biking group.

Jumping over rocks and stumps, riding through creek beds etc. is not really my thing. I have a torn rotator cuff and 20+ years ago I broke my collarbone which reunited with about a 1" offset. I have been on a real roll with fitness for a little more than the last year and taking a tumble on my left shoulder could set me back BIG TIME. I do mostly urban riding and have a lot of routes which dodge traffic problems. I ride full-suspension bikes so I can hop curbs, ride comfortably on mildly damaged park trails and go down unpaved bumpy alleys etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Perhaps I should check out a MTB group's least "technical" ride.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
    Given that you like to push yourself, why do you want a riding partner? Where I live currently, I ride alone. I like to ride the forest roads, which tend to be steep and unimproved. There aren't a lot of other adult residents here who ride--we do have out-of-state cyclists passing through the area during spring, summer and fall. Occasionally, I worry about no one else being present if I'd have an accident in the hinterlands, but that's life, isn't it. I'm not going to let worries keep me from getting out and enjoying cycling. I do take my cellphone with me, but many areas where I ride don't get a signal.
    The ideal riding partner would push me just a little more than I push myself. Also, I just enjoy the companionship. When Anise, (the early 60s, miniscule, scrawny, vegetarian under 95 lb lady with incredible fitness) is in town, riding with her is a blast. And no...my wife is NOT jealous! She's fine for me to go riding with Anise, I'm fine for Elaine to go to the opera with one of her gay boyfriends!

I carry a cell phone for emergencies also.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cleveland craigslist bike list had a guy (I assume) that was constantly posting looking for a female tandem partner. It varied every day or two between sharing the love of riding with a possible but not required relationship to the other ad offering 10% non-voting ownership in the tandem for said female artner. His requirement was to send him photos of their legs. He sure got flagged and complained about a lot. Haven't seen those ads for a couple of weeks. Maybe he got enough leg photos...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met my ex through a personals ad.

Have you thought about checking out the bicycle clubs in your area? You might join in on some rides and meet people that way.

It's just me, but I'd never consider rides like that with the owner of the company I work for. Your employee is wise. A double-edged sword if you ask me.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I met my ex through a personals ad.
    Sorry it didn't work out for you as well as it did for me!

Have you thought about checking out the bicycle clubs in your area? You might join in on some rides and meet people that way.
    Most of the rides are hardcore roadie type rides. Just as I don't want to be held back, I don't want to hold someone else back. There are also some group rides which have got out of control -- 200 riders or so. They proceed at the pace of the slowest and are excruciatingly slow. Also some of the group drink beer on the rides and I am a little concerned about safety. One or two other matched riders would be ideal for me. I can't wait till the next time Anise is in town. Meanwhile, this friend who owns a transmission shop is pretty good to ride with. He holds me back a little. Its not so much his fitness level as that he insists on riding a heavy clunker bike that he loves for reasons I cannot fathom.

It's just me, but I'd never consider rides like that with the owner of the company I work for. Your employee is wise. A double-edged sword if you ask me.
    I see your point, but Brandon is like one of the family. In fact, our car repair shop is pretty much a family operation. There's me, there's my stepson who will eventually take over the business (stock market hit kind of delayed my retirement), and there's Brandon who is my stepson's wife's cousin. I don't think he is intimidated by the employer/employee relationship outside of work.

Don in Austin