Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 4.5, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you just hate it...

when you come back from a ride. You were slower than usual and feel like crap. Then when you put you're bike away you notice that one of the brake pads was dragging!!!! At least I have a reason why I was so slow. Well slower anyway.

Bill

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I know your pain. In a cyclo cross race, last Sunday, at the end of the first lap I noticed my front wheel skidding on loose gravel while I was pedaling. The front V brake's spring was not opening back up and one shoe was dragging. The course took us through a sand pit and I think sand got into the brake. By the time I got the brake working properly the 45 minute race was two laps older. I petitioned the organizers to allow me to race in the following race and they OK'd it. Problem is the next race was 1 hr long and filled with the Cat 1,2 and 3 studs.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I check the brakes to see if they're dragging, then I realise I'm just f'n slow. It is what it is.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at it as power training.

I often set the brakes to drag and lower the pressures in the tyres----On my mates bikes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me:
    The Tour leader and Chief Mechanic changed tires for me and installed the wheel.
    My biking performance was very bad after that. I thought it was psychological on my part due to multiple flats I had on that day.
    No, the Tour Leader and Chief Mechanic installed the wheel with a drag and I was too trusting to check him.
    That will never happen to me again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever thought a brake pad was rubbing on a ride. It's never actually happened. I was just slow that day.

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Look at it as power training.

I often set the brakes to drag and lower the pressures in the tyres----On my mates bikes.

Good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gash44 View Post
    Good one.
    Only if your not one of his mates.lol

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddez View Post
    Only if your not one of his mates.lol
    True

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just happened to me today. During my commute from work I was slow and felt like crap. After reading the OP's suggestion of the brake pads dragging, I checked my bike. Mechanically my bike checked out flawless. I am so disappointed that I couldn't find a mechanical excuse for the way I felt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to sound uppity, but that never happens to me because I check the bike over before I ride.
    Well, it happened to me ONCE, and that's why I check the bike now. Takes less than a minute.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had it. Hated it. Worse than a headwind or false flat. Finally replaced brakes.

Sadly enough, Velo Dog, brakes can work perfectly for a pre-ride check and still end up dragging.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there. I actually like tinkering with my bike now before a ride. I put it up on the stand, make sure everything shifts perfectly and the brakes are dialed in perfectly. For some reason, having a perfectly tuned bike really encourages me to ride.

Before I used to just jump on the bike and then adjust while I was riding. Not near as fun.

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 4.5, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I don't mean to sound uppity, but that never happens to me because I check the bike over before I ride.
    Well, it happened to me ONCE, and that's why I check the bike now. Takes less than a minute.
    Actually that is sort of why it happened. I was checking the bike. Looked down and saw the rear wheel was just a bit closer to the left chainstay. Centered the wheel after tightening the skewer a bit. Forgot to check the wheel for free spin.