Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the flu good training for a mountainous century?

Last week I was limited in my ride time due to sinus problems. Now I have caught the flu from my wife and I'm bed and chair ridden with a fever spiking to 102F. Six Gap ride is coming in a week and a half.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be great for that. It always works for me.
    I was training for Lagbrau. My knee swelled up over the knee cap. After three weeks of no improvement I had it drained today.
    Fly to Denver for the weekend. Take the shuttle up here to 9000 feet and we can ride some of the passes.
    I am sure we will both be ready for some extreme riding by the following weekend.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my.........timing couldn't be worse for Six Gap. You're a tough guy but if you're not fully recovered in a day or two next weekend could wind up being a really, really long day. If still subpar, would 3 gap still be in the mix???

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Oh my.........timing couldn't be worse for Six Gap. You're a tough guy but if you're not fully recovered in a day or two next weekend could wind up being a really, really long day. If still subpar, would 3 gap still be in the mix???
    Yes, 3 gap is an option. Hopefully the Tamiflu will do it's magic and I'll get better soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, horrible timing. Hope you don't make your recovery longer and harder by riding too soon or too far. While I've always found such situations frustrating, I think it better to error on the side of being cautious about one's health when dealing with rigorous exercise after a bout with the flu. (And I don't think it has anything to do with how "tough" one is. Rather, it has to do with how smart one is). Feel better soon.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn. Maybe breaking 100F counts as a century?

Get well soon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I had the flu and even barfed on Wednesday before my favorite century. I rested and drank as much water as I could and went on the ride. I felt pretty good up until the lunch stop at mile 60, then I was toast. More than half of the 7000 feet of climbing comes after lunch and I suffered to the point of wanting to quit, and I never quit. The wonderful lady in the SAG car took care of me, stopping ahead every few miles and offering ice water, snacks, and encouragement. This helped a lot and I'll never forget it.
    In retrospect I shouldn't have gone and if I had it to do over I would have done something easier. (yeah, right)

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe with some sag assistance for uphill sections?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to steal your thunder BluesDawg...but I've just been diagnosed with a mild hernia and go see the surgeon tomorrow. I have a feeling this is going to mess up my 6 Gap ride as well. I hope you get to ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See how you feel Monday- or tuesday at the latest.

I did one of my 100 mile offroad rides with the start of a cold and lots of aspirin. Did the ride but felt terrible the next day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Not to steal your thunder BluesDawg...but I've just been diagnosed with a mild hernia and go see the surgeon tomorrow. I have a feeling this is going to mess up my 6 Gap ride as well. I hope you get to ride.
    Ouch! That is likely to be a bigger obstacle than influenza.

Update: My fever broke last night and I've been feeling much better today. I'm planning to go back to work tomorrow. My wife is at the same point of recovery as me although her fever started last Friday while mine started Monday. Difference is that she called my doctor in time to get me started on Tamiflu while she didn't see her doctor soon enough to take it. The rule is to start it within 48 hours of the first symptoms. It seems to work.

I'll take it easy for a couple more days, concentrating on nutrition and hydration. I'll put in some short to medium effort rides over the weekend and step it up through the middle of next week, tapering off during the latter part of the week. I'll probably make a ride day decision whether to go for the 50 or 100 mile ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my sponsored ride tomorrow- And last night woke up with a cough and a blocked nose.

Looks like the Ride drink will be a good bordeaux or brandy. Won't make me feel any better- but I won't care.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan