User Tag List

My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC Problems and riding (bicycle health)

I really have avoided asking this on the board but doctor isn't being very helpful.
    About 2 years ago I was diag. with PC and had brachy treatment. Early this year I developed a BAD infection that shut everything down and required I have turp surgery. Had the surgery in mid July.
    As I love my riding time even though I'm not a hard rider I was doing 15-20 miles a day at my nice slow pace with stops in the park and for coffee etc. Other problem is I heal slow as I am a type 2 diabetic.

I asked my doctor today if I could ride again if I could stand the pain. He hymned and hawed and then finally said get a gel seat ,add a gel cover and use riding shorts with the pad !!! apparently the pressure on the peritinium (sp) is not cool with these conditions. Yes I know a recumbent might work but I really like my raleigh and my old puch mixte and would like to be able to continue riding them. I'm only about a quarter mile from the mup and it runs along the river and is such a nice way to spend a day.

Anyone else had similar problem,was it solveable, how etc. I'm 66 and miss my excercise and time outside.
    Hate the medical crap and getting old, but like someone told, me it beats the options.
    Last edited by JustCruisin; 09-16-09 at 07:07 PM.
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the saddle- Forget the gel seat- but do get one with the Cutout. Plenty of those about.

BUT- Saddle position is paramount. To get pressure off Perineum- have the saddle point down a bit and make certain that you are on the sit bones when seated. You may slide forward a bit but gradually raise the nose till it hurts- then back off a bit.

I had Radical Prostatectomy and suffered with wrong saddles for several years. Then one day- it all worked and I found the comfortable saddle was the narrow Flite saddles. Think this was just before I was about to throw the seatpost away as I felt as though I was riding on that.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the correct saddle and the proper fit on the bike, bicycling should not cause or exacerbate prostate problems. I favor either a traditional tensioned leather saddle or one with a cutout or slot on top. Padded saddles often squish and apply pressure right where you do not want it, thereby contributing to the problem they were intended to resolve.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father (in his 80s) had the same procedure done last year. After about 2 months he was able to ride again. Given he uses a rather upright riding position a seat with a cut out and a fairly wide back end seems to work for him. He's no longer riding more than 3 or 4 miles a day, but he is still riding. The gel shorts, seat, etc. would most likely distribute pressure more evenly, which could actually put more pressure on the area you are trying to relieve.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.I was riding a brooks b68? I think, sprung wide seat had risers on the bars had basically converted my Mt bike to a hybrid. I had an old gel seat I got on the wifes bike a while back ,a gel cover I got on a mixte I bought and shorts. Bottom line no way the pain is still a killer. So I gave in and ordered a trike Friday night. hope it works out!
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.