Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crater Lake, Oregon, mini-tour

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 12:23 AM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A small group from our local bike club (Yaquina Wheels) in Newport, Oregon went to the Crater Lake National Park area last weekend to ride from Diamond Lake (just north of Crater Lake) up to and around the Rim Drive, a distance of 67 miles.

Not all riders rode the whole 67 miles, some got SAG'd up to the rim and up some of the steeper climbs.

The weather the day of the ride was very good, temps in the upper 70's, basically no wind, although we had a very heavy thunder, lightning, & rainstorm Saturday night.

To see some pictures, click here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/SkipH152/CraterLake

This was the route of day 3 from Cycle Oregon in 2007. If anyone is interested, here is a PDF map of the route:

https://www.yaquinawheels.org/Maps/CraterLake.pdf

Yeah, it says 6,470 feet of climbing, max elevation 7,853' (I live at sea level), I did it all plus some extra.

On Sunday, I got to ride out the north end of Diamond Lake towards Roseburg, OR, on hwy 138 for what was almost '40 miles of downhill', with over 4000' of elevation LOSS. It wasn't ALL downhill, still required pedaling most of the time, especially on some uphill parts of it, but it was still lots of downhill, most of it on very good road with very few cars.
Old 09-18-09, 06:23 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thank you posting! This fits very nicely with my recent post on looking for different rides. We visited Crater Lake in May a few years ago and there was still so much snow piled up not all the roads were open. It is a very memorable and scenic area.
Old 09-18-09, 01:31 PM
DPN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting that!

One of my earliest memories from childhood is looking at a picture of Crater Lake!!!

DPN