User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cheap sunglasses II

Well, I'm halfway done with the cataract surgery. One eye is complete and one to go in a couple of weeks. I'm trapped between a good eye and a bad eye and I presently have to juggle various glasses around to do different things untill both are done.

Does anybody have any advice on reasonable wrap around dark glassis for riding? Do different tints on the lenses help? Are the inexpensive ones strong enough not to break when looked at? If you buy from Nashbar or someone like that, how do you get a good fit?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to buy expensive wrap around sunglasses. Not any longer. I now but these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dual-comfort.html. At under $10/pair they are a real bargin. Additionally, they work as well or better than any of the more expensive glasses I've used in the past. They also make a version with a bi-focal in typical reading glasses strenghts (+1 thru +3). I wear those when I'm riding alone and may have to fix a flat. (Just can't see well enough to do this without a little help.)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, good information and a good website link.

Magnum Propulsion
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been getting these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

I started wearing these safety glasses at work and really liked how comfortable they fit. The lenses are very dark wrap around to block light from the sides. I bought 6 pairs last time for $35, including shipping. The only problem I have with them is that the lenses seem to scratch up easily if I'm not careful how I clean them, or toss them around. But for the price, I can live with that.

TMB
    My Bikes
    Steel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probikekit have their own "house" brand which are very good and come with interchangeable lenses.

They are cheap and well worth twice the price.

Take a look at

www.probikekit.com

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a source for sunglasses that either fit over or clip on your prescription glasses?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmanKC View Post
    Does anyone have a source for sunglasses that either fit over or clip on your prescription glasses?
    As a matter of fact, I have an flyer in my free meds kit from the surgery.

Polar Optics OveRx Sunglasses come in various sizes and are designes to go on over (and fit) your normal glasses. They say they can be ordered at

www.diopticssunwear.com

I have no further information other than the add flyer.

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back before I needed far-vision correction, I always used the Performance Bicycle brand sunglasses. They come with different color inserts. They were about $20.00 as they used to be perpetually "on sale". My wife still uses those today.

For off road I prefer the orange color to filter blue and provide a sharper view and increased contrast especially in the shadows. For road I prefer gray which gives good color accuracy.

Now that I need prescription glasses, I use the same colors, but have them tinted to block only 50% of the light vice the more typical 80%. All but my off-road glasses are also polarized to reduce the glint from shiny man-made objects.

Any cheap lens irrespective of the color filters uv effectively.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmanKC View Post
    Walgreens carries Sun Shields brand sunglasses for wearing over glasses. They make at least 2 sizes. Less than $20 and once in awhile they're on sale. I've had several compliments on mine, so I guess they don't look like grandpa shades. One thing I don't like about them is they seem to scratch easily. You can find them on Amazon too, but you need to make sure you get the right size. Sometimes the description doesn't give that info.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    foster grant "Ironman" brand. Target, Wallymart, Walgreens etc all carry them.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maxx, you are in luck. you really only need one lense! just get another eyepatch in clear polycarbonate. that'll fix ya right up. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with these. Bifocal. Now I got to think most of us 50+ need one of these. Only $19.00.
    http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...ses/Categories

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple, Gary Fisher Hi Fi Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw some yesterday at Walmart in the sporting goods section. I can't remember the name, but I believe they were polarized fishing glasses and only cost $5 if I remember correctly. Nice glasses too!!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I used to buy expensive wrap around sunglasses. Not any longer. I now but these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dual-comfort.html. At under $10/pair they are a real bargin. Additionally, they work as well or better than any of the more expensive glasses I've used in the past. They also make a version with a bi-focal in typical reading glasses strenghts (+1 thru +3). I wear those when I'm riding alone and may have to fix a flat. (Just can't see well enough to do this without a little help.)
    +1

I wear the Elvex bifocal safety glasses at work too, and the tinted version has become my favorite riding glasses.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    +1 on the link for Safety Glasses USA

I buy the DeWalt glasses in both clear and gray, usually three pair of each when I order. I only need the bifocal part.

On a rainy day, with cheap glasses, I use RainX to clean them before I go out. When they eventually get scratched or ruined...toss'em and go to the next pair. On a multi-day trip I carry an extra pair.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman