Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour of Britain ride.

Early start for me this morning- 5 am to get up to London for the ride. I know it would not start till 10am but registration would be from 8 am and there would be a problem parking. Drove up to the "Tower of London" area to find a very expensive parking lot for the day. Only 8 miles to the start from here but by the time I had assembled the bike- and got lost on the backstreets- it was 8 before I got there. Time for a Coffee and PIE after registration which is posted elsewhere. There were going to be 1,000 riders on this morning funride for Prostate Cancer and they had asked for Fancy Dress. Hence the Bananaman suit and a big placard on the back of the bike. Just chilled out till 9am and not many in fancy dress. But they were probably like me and did not want to give away too many secrets on what they were going to dress up as.

But the time came to get ready and On with the suit. That was going to be warm to ride in so start taking liquids. Then time to look around. Not many others were dressing up much- a couple had on Pink Leggings and a Pink wig- another couple in 60's style clothing-----and that was it.

Not one other person had taken the effort to do anything to make this a spectacular event for the Charity. Then it started- The Interviews- for local radio- Local papers and National TV. Then the event commentators had a long chat with me about the event. It was obvious that as the only idiot out there I got the lot. Even down on the start line and as I arrived the commentator started winding up the crowds to support "Bananaman"

Finally the ride and sorry but I did try to get pics but on this bike in this set up- I took one and it was decidedly unsafe but one you might all recognise. The route was easy Almost deadflat except for a couple of underpasses- but the problem I had was avoiding the Motor bikes. Once the ride started- and the crowd at the front had gone- All the Camera crews had to do was practice by getting shots of the one idiot out there. I was shown on TV on the news on the ride- and to be honest- I didn't realise how fast I did the ride. My cadence and poise on the bike is perfect. I look good- Even though a bit of an idiot in the way I dressed up. And 13 miles in 38 minutes. Not going for it at any time and still had the banter with the crowd. Tried to get one of the Police Cycle patrol to swop uniforms and bikes but she was not having any of that. Glad she didn't as her bike looked heavier than mine.

Only problem I had was on the ride itself. There were two of the Podium girls doing the ride and I just could not understand these young male riders taking part. These girls were ignored by everyone- Except me. They were Sponsored by Rapha Condor for the event with clothing and bikes. Neither had ridden much before but they manged the 13 miles easily with no problems. EXCEPT for the Chain tat on one of the girls. I just had to get a pic at the end- and that did start a chain reaction. Everyone wanted to get a pic of them after that.

Couple of other points and there were 20 "Selected" celebrities doing the ride. It was also the launch of a new electric bike- and they did impress me on the ride. Range of 25 miles and a top speed of 20 mph. And easy to ride as they put the celebs on them and got 20 bikes back in one piece.

Pics attached but none of the tour. Decided to get back to the car and when I got there to offload the bike- I was shatterred- so went home. Couple of interestings pics of bikes- The White/green bike is a 13lbs lightweight bought off the adverts in a UK Magazine- Dure ace and very lightweight but nothing special. The recumbent might be and it did get some speed behind it. And the GOcycles. Today was the official launch so no idea on prices- but it is aimed at a buy a bike system for commuting we have in the UK. Bought through your workplace and no taxes and a generous contribution from the taxpayers who are not able to get on the scheme- Could work out as little as $1600.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-19-09 at 02:55 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride, and for being the center of attention!

I think one of your shots deserves a bit more attention, so here it is:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride, and for a good cause too. I especially like the first pic; but gotta say that pic with the podium girls is a close second. Hmmm...maybe I should get a "Bananaman" suit.

Perhaps we could persuade Curtis to add the "Bananaman" outfit to his line of 50+ clothing.
    Last edited by Louis; 09-19-09 at 06:33 PM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a second I thought you had purloined the infamous BikeSnobNYC chickenman outfit.

There is an article in the London Times online lamenting the dearth of febrile women in England. From your picture I'd have to say the article is wrong.
    Last edited by The Weak Link; 09-19-09 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report and pics, stapfam.

You honored the spirit of the ride with the great outfit, and sign. Well done.

Wow! Nice podium girls... I'm envious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report and pics.

I wonder why such a large group of riders but so few fancy dressers?

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Great report and pics.

I wonder why such a large group of riders but so few fancy dressers?
    This was a BIG National ride and Being mainly riders from the capital- I suppose they are a bit more reserved than us Rural lads. On some of ourlocal rides you do feel left out if you don't put a bit of effort into dressing up. I suppose they could be worried that their City Banker boss will recognise them and promote them onto the board of directors.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    For a second I thought you had purloined the infamous BikeSnobNYC chickenman outfit.

There is an article in the London Times online lamenting the dearth of febrile women in England. From your picture I'd have to say the article is wrong.
    I am afraid that The London Times appears to be correct- but as noted there are a few exceptions.

This was an expensive ride to enter- even if it was for charity- and they did ask for a lot of sponsorship to do the event. This was also the first time that the Prostate Cancer charity has got involved with the T.o.B. so hopefully riders in future years will lose their inhibitions and put some more effort into promoting the charity.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does one find a Bananaman suit? And is Bananaman a lesser known Superhero?
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon DA
    196- Raleigh Record
    2008 Fuji Cross Pro, commuter, tourer

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved your report and photos. I think the costume is fabulous and you deserve every hug you get from pretty cyclists for your efforts.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prxmid View Post
    Where does one find a Bananaman suit? And is Bananaman a lesser known Superhero?
    Flea-bay for the costume And it is on this page.

http://www.fancydressnation.co.uk/ac...FYNu4wodtQvp6w

And so you can learn about him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwRMYz1vfcQ

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job all around.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades