Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Trek Madone 5.5

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek Madone 5.5

I have a chance to get a left over 2008 Trek Madone 5.5 Performance with full Dura-Ace and Bontrager crank 50-34 and Sram OpenGlide 1070 11-26 10 speed. They threw some pedals on it and I took it for a ride and boy was it really nice.

I can get this for $3500.00 with a year of free tuneups from the LBS. I was wondering what you think.

Thanks
    Lennie

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great bike, but it sounds like a better deal could be made on a 08'.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some reviews: http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/tr...2_5668crx.aspx

Personally, I am not a fan of carbon frames. I prefer steel. If *I* were buying an upper end road bike today I would go for the new Rivendell Roadeo. http://www.rivbike.com/ Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    That's a great bike, but it sounds like a better deal could be made on a 08'.
    +1 The $3,500 mark is pretty easily found. It's probably a fair price, but not a a great deal. The year of free tune ups is pretty standard in my area at any price range. So, I wouldn't consider this as anything extra. While I'm finished with the purchase of any more carbon bikes (at least until the next jump in their evolution), I think if you are really interested you need to take it for a bit of a longer ride. $3500 is still a chunk of money to drop on a bike. If you buy it and find that you don't really like it, you'll lose about 30% of what you paid right from the start if you try and sell it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fair deal to me. I paid $2999.00 for my 08 Dura Ace Cervello RS. I got it on clearance during the middle of the winter/depths of the recession. Prior to that, it had been listed at a sale price of $3500, also.

Shop around and see what else is out there. I think you may find your deal is pretty solid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good bike, so-so price. You can pretty much get that price with a little negotiating any time. Either wait until they get a little hungrier or as JBBROOKS says, "shop around". Waiting may cause you to lose the deal though. If you just have to have it, go for it and be happy, you won't have paid MSRP for it!

My Bikes
    Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2007 Madone 5.2 with Ultegra $2.8K out the door no pedals. The only parts that are Bontrager are the saddle, seat post, fork, and wheels. It is the best bike I have ever ridden.

It sounds like the $3.5K may be last 2008 summer's price, so it would seem like it can still be discounted some for summer 2009 closeout. From reading those reviews, it looks like there may be some problems with some of the components which can probably be switched out for the same price of $3.5K. Maybe change out the crank set if there are problems with Bontrager.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that exact bike. I got it when they first came out, in November of 2007. I've got thousands and thousands of miles on it. It's now my "backup" bike. I haven't decided whether to sell it or not. I'll probably use it on the trainer this winter.

The price? Meh. I think I only paid about $3600 for mine almost two years ago.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a 2006 Madone 5.2 with Ultegra (including crankset) and Race Lite wheels. I got a better deal on the 2006 v 2007 but always regretted not getting the 2007 Madone 5.5.

My 2006 was fabulous and I enjoyed it. The Race Lite wheels that were on the bike were BS but okay. I am not sure about the reliability of the Bontrager Crankset and it may be heavier. I seem to recall problems. Make sure you are getting Race X lite wheels. They are about 400 gms lighter than the Race Lite.

However, at that price point, you can almost have the pick of the litter. I would check out some other bikes since I think that is part of the fun of getting a new one.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gash44 View Post
    I have a chance to get a left over 2008 Trek Madone 5.5 Performance with full Dura-Ace and Bontrager crank 50-34 and Sram OpenGlide 1070 11-26 10 speed. They threw some pedals on it and I took it for a ride and boy was it really nice.

I can get this for $3500.00 with a year of free tuneups from the LBS. I was wondering what you think.

Thanks
    Lennie
    The 5.5 is a wonderful bike. I test biked it for several weeks but decided on a 5.2 for monetary reasons. I did regret that decision. Dura Ace shifts more crisp.
    The price sounds right but not necessarily low. I got my 5.2 for $2,200 (less pedals and tax).
    BTW, the Bontrager saddle is not so great. I put a Terry Touring saddle on my. I do lots of Centuries however.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Madone is a high performance bike. If you want a nice high performance bike and the madone certainly fits the bill, that sounds like a good price.