User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can sleep tonight

My second son (19 yrs.) has recently taken a real interest in cycling, which is a thrill to me. He told me wanted a bike to commute around campus in the city. I sort of reluctantly gave him my old Fuji Monterey, which was my spare bike. After he took it last week, I panicked in realizing he didn't have a helmet! He didn't particularly want one, but I insisted if he was going to be riding around Center City, he needed to have one. We went out today to a cool sports shop and had him fitted for it. I was assured by the staff that all helmets that were offered there met Fed. safety standards so I let him pick the one he wanted (within reason.) Although it cost twice what I paid for mine, I'm hoping if he thinks it looks hip, he won't hesitate to wear it. I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing, and Junior has a good example to follow because his Mom wears her helmet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That strategy worked with my daughters. It won't take long before putting a helmet on to ride just becomes second nature for him.

My LBS started carrying POC helmets this year and the demand from kids has been amazing. Primarily because they look cool. IMO, they are the best thing going, though they are spendy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Although it cost twice what I paid for mine, I'm hoping if he thinks it looks hip, he won't hesitate to wear it. I hope.
    My Mom paid a lot for some of the cycling things I got, like a Raleigh 3 speed that too soon bit the dust being jumped over a hole in the ground. But in the long run, she never wasted a penny. That bike was an expensive lesson, but I learned it, and have gone on to many safe cycling years. You did good.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    You did the right thing, and Junior has a good example to follow because his Mom wears her helmet.
    +1. The best we can do is provide the proper equipment and set a good example.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job - I am sure he will wear it - particularly if he thinks it does not make him look silly. Compared to the clown outfits most of us wear (me included) a helmet is a mild fashion statement.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Thanks, guys! I was hoping I'd used the right tactics. I try to tell him that once you get used to wearing it, it seems unnatural not to wear it. Not to mention, once you see everybody wearing them, you get used to the look of it. I hope it will get to the point where when he sees a helmetless rider he'll be thinking, "Duuuuddde, get a helmet!"