Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What caused the burst of energy?

Last evening I was on my normal Monday evening ride with guys I ride with quite often. When we turned to ride up a hill that we include every Monday evening I fell in behind a friend that normally rides the hill well. After a couple of switchbacks I felt good and decided to "kick it in" for a while. I passed him so he stayed on my wheel most of the way up. With about 1/3 of a mile to go he fell off. When we gathered at the top he told me it had to be a record time for our group (old guys). I agreed, but had no idea why.

So, what happens that causes a person to feel much better than normal once in a great while? Usually I am riding at 11 of 12 MPH in an easy section of this hill, but last evening I was holding 14 MPH without struggling at all. I gave this instance for comparison. Can a person determine what creates this? At 60 years old I would love to have that power more than once is a great while. I do not know of anything I ate different yesterday. Then how does it happen?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sex.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good hydration? What did you eat that day? When did you eat before the ride?

What seems to make a difference for me is eating about 2 hours before I ride and eat a decent meal. Getting hydrated well seems to be the largest benefit I've experienced so far.

Ofcouse could be lack of sex...
    2009 Trek 7.3 (Black), Cateye Strada /w cadence. My Cycling Adventures

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    No sex.
    Gee, I was thinking the opposite. At least it's worth a try.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be due to not riding as much or as hard over the few days prior to your hill ride. In my training every 4th week is a recovery week. During the week following a recovery week I usually have an extra gear or "where did that come from speed" when needed.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the stars were correctly aligned and you ride fell in the perfect portion of your circadian cycle?

I've had days like this too. They are uplifting and quite satisfying. I guess if they came all the time, they would be the norm and not feel special at all. Glad you had your recent one.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the OP of this thread I would like to add that I reviewed my day before writing. I could not pick anything out that was different. A meal at noon, rode at 5:30. Had a salad.

It would be nice to capture why this happens so it could re recreated at will.

I remember a basketball game back in college that was like this ride. The coach asked me after the game what the story was. As he said, I played the game above the rim. Every jump for a rebound or a shot was exceptional. No idea why. Just wish I could capture it, maybe in a bottle, and save it for later use.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The energy has just kicked in from Last Saturdays PIE ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some days God smiles on yah.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a bunch of things which all came together at once - a sunami of energy. Too bad you can't bottle it - although lots of sports nutrition companies claim they have.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tailwind
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    As the OP of this thread I would like to add that I reviewed my day before writing. I could not pick anything out that was different. A meal at noon, rode at 5:30. Had a salad.

It would be nice to capture why this happens so it could re recreated at will.

I remember a basketball game back in college that was like this ride. The coach asked me after the game what the story was. As he said, I played the game above the rim. Every jump for a rebound or a shot was exceptional. No idea why. Just wish I could capture it, maybe in a bottle, and save it for later use.
    Aren't those moments defined as moments of clarity? A moment in time where everything is right with the world, when we can pretty much excel at whatever we are doing for that moment.

The engineer inside tells me this is just an undocumented process, there is a reason for it, we just haven't the data to prove it.
    2009 Trek 7.3 (Black), Cateye Strada /w cadence. My Cycling Adventures

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A can of spinach can do this for you.

Or so I was led to believe as a child.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me once when I confused the (illicit powdered central nervous system stimulant that begins with "C" censored by the BB) bowl for the sugar bowl while making a cup of coffee.

(I kid.)
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (weight/power+nutrition)642 X pie - taxes + (1/2 natural wind - "other" wind) + &^%$(*&^% + sex - sex = speed on hill. I think.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racers know that it's possible to induce "peak performances" by following a prescribed training regimen leading up to the event they wish to peak for. Usually this consists of training according to a "fibonacci sequence" of hard days and rest days. (Humanoids respond well to fibonacci sequences, trust me.)

You obviously hit a random peak. Because a fibonacci sequence doesn't at first appear to exhibit a pattern, you wouldn't think anything was out of the ordinary.

Fibonacci sequence = 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34...

Luis

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ask why. Just smile and enjoy the moment.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    That happened to me once when I confused the (illicit powdered central nervous system stimulant that begins with "C" censored by the BB) bowl for the sugar bowl while making a cup of coffee.

(I kid.)
    Can I come have coffee at your house?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    (weight/power+nutrition)642 X pie - taxes + (1/2 natural wind - "other" wind) + &^%$(*&^% + sex - sex = speed on hill. I think.
    I love it!!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    Ooops. I made on slight mistake in the above equation. Instead of &^%$(*&^%, it should have been &^%$(*#^%.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    manopause power surge ?

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In sports, there is a term called being in the zone, or there was when I was younger. I do believe it is what you are describing. I find by really watching what I eat I can achieve this pretty frequently. It also is a sign you are getting in pretty good shape.

I don't know if the diet is still out there, but I used to follow it very closely as a way to keep my weight down, it is called "The Zone" and his point is to instead of eating whatever we want, you eat food almost like a prescription, therefore making it easier on your body to maintain sugar levels, etc. It is the best way I have find to feel very good.

Exercise helps in that it helps regulate you as well, once you get through the inertia of starting.

just my dos colones (worth about 1/3 of a penny now...)

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen first several years ago, and a few times this year, on hills. Several years back I took my go fast bike on a 35 mile group ride, one of my first. Mrs RF and I were riding with some friends on a 'bent tandem, and Mrs RF and Mrs Friend traded places so she could sample the stoker life. She's stronger and lighter than Mrs. Friend, so they hauled. So I could talk and hear her reaction, I chased the tandem. 20 minutes of 53/13 and near gears, spinning around 110 most of the time, I stayed mostly abreast and learned a lot. I was amazed!

I started this year with a lot of hill riding, as aggressive as I could manage, after a decent base period. I've had some rabbit-like experiences on some of my local hills (nothing to do with the purported role of sex!). They seem to be more frequent the stronger I get.

I think there is a very real component of Not Knowing What Our Capabilities Are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    In sports, there is a term called being in the zone, or there was when I was younger. I do believe it is what you are describing. I find by really watching what I eat I can achieve this pretty frequently. It also is a sign you are getting in pretty good shape.

I don't know if the diet is still out there, but I used to follow it very closely as a way to keep my weight down, it is called "The Zone" and his point is to instead of eating whatever we want, you eat food almost like a prescription, therefore making it easier on your body to maintain sugar levels, etc. It is the best way I have find to feel very good.

Exercise helps in that it helps regulate you as well, once you get through the inertia of starting.

just my dos colones (worth about 1/3 of a penny now...)
    I follow the Zone diet and find it does put me in the "Zone." The prescription aspect, as I understand and follow it, is to eat carbohydrates and proteins together in a specific proportion, approximately a plateful of carbs with a portion of protein about the size of a deck of playing cards.

There have been plenty of threads about motivation, but I find what helps get me through the inertia of starting is to know that usually after the first few miles, I'll be glad I'm rolling along.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think the "accidental peak performance" is one of the best possabilities. I know a lady that worked very hard to achieve peak performance for a ride. She worked closely with a coach for several weeks to be ready for that one ride. Peak performance can happen, and possbily happened to me by accident.
    Just a guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast