Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried a little MTBing. Kinda liked it.

I've had the two-ton steel Trek Antelope 820 "Frigid Rigid" for a couple of years now as a cruiser/beater but never got round to playing in the dirt. Finally took it on the easy two-track "green" trails at Stoney Creek park this past weekend. Fun! Hills got the heart rate up and who knows - if I do it a couple of times a week and try some more difficult trails it might make me a better road hill climber too.

Heavy and entry-level as the bike is, I still like the handling. The first homemade MTBs were made from heavy steel cruiser frames, yes?

So there - another dimension to my biking.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might as well sell the road bikes and go and get that full suspension bike now. If you get into mountain biking and enjoy it and can get up the hills and afford to replace the ripped clothing and broken helmets that will swiftly follow- it is the only thing to do.

Gave up mountain biking 3 years ago due to not landing as lightly as I used to. Not certain if I regret it but a Sunday morning ride up on the hills with only the cry of the Crows choking on the tractor fumes has a special appeal that cannot be met anywhere else.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my rode bike I bought a Gary Fisher Wahoo hardtail as well . I have two parks close by that have single tracks and 1 is a 7 mile loop and 1 is a 12 mile loop. It is a blast but the thing with me is I hate to have to put it in my truck and drive there. I would rather just hop on and ride like I do with my road bike. I will get back there soon as fall comes around and winter as well bcause it is a blast. I really think I get as much as or maybe more of a workout on the MTB as the Roadie.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer my hardtail to any road bike I have ridden. Granted, it is a F900 Cannondale which has disc brakes, etc so isn't exactly entry level. It will go pretty much anywhere, and is pretty comfortable too.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing nice about a mountain bike is that they are just fine on a road, but when a path shows up, you can take it!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to love mountain biking back when I did it regularly enough to maintain some skills. I especially liked it in the winter when wind, ice and road crud make road biking unpleasant.

Now that I've been away from it for several years, and having had a couple of semi-serious injuries, I'm kind of reluctant to do real mountain biking anymore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    One thing nice about a mountain bike is that they are just fine on a road, but when a path shows up, you can take it!
    Crtreedude's two posts above pretty much sum me up Yes, I'll admit it: I'm one of those very odd people who simply likes using an mtb for all-around riding. I've tried -- and tried -- to 'get into' road bikes -- we just don't get along! My arthritic back, shoulder, elbows, wrists and thumbs like suspension; wider tires (slicks for the road) suit my innate clumsiness/lack of athletic ability, etc. etc. It's wholly irrational, but there it is! And, like Stapfam above, there really is (for me at least) no better cycling experience than getting off-road (nothing too technical for this over-age kid) and on to singletrack and exploring. By the bye, I also dislike (both practically and in principle) the notion of attaching a bike to a motor vehicle and driving to a place to ride; if I can't ride there, I don't go there

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I used to love mountain biking back when I did it regularly enough to maintain some skills. I especially liked it in the winter when wind, ice and road crud make road biking unpleasant.

Now that I've been away from it for several years, and having had a couple of semi-serious injuries, I'm kind of reluctant to do real mountain biking anymore.
    I am not sure what I do is real mountain biking, but I have been known to bunny hop a chicken or two. I like a mountain bike for comfort and stability, and pretty much all our roads are dirt and rock anyway.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

"Real" mountain biking can be as hard as you want to make it. Some days I just want to cruise on trails like Bev's KT trail, and some days I want to be a little more adventerous. Hint, one nice thing about being in the woods is that no one sees you get off and walk the bike up the tough stuff.

I almost rebuilt dormouse this time around as a full suspension bike with a new frame from Sette, but the classic front suspension hardtail has so many nice features for "multi media" riding that I stayed with that. Sometimes a quick 10 mile trail/dirt road ride up into town followed by a road section to the bank or pie shop, some doodling around and a return on the dirt is just perfect.

I rode it with a rigid front for a little over a year, but since I have a reasonably good suspension fork, back on it went............boy does that make a difference in how hard I can take the rough stuff. Sometimes the back end is bouncing back and forth and spending half the time up in the air.......just stand a bit like a jockey and ride.................

For those of you who do both, they say that the MTB will make you a stronger rider (and a bit more technical capable) while the road bike will increase your endurance.

Happy trails.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=maddmaxx;9730095
    For those of you who do both, they say that the MTB will make you a stronger rider (and a bit more technical capable) while the road bike will increase your endurance.

Happy trails.[/QUOTE]

Too many years on a mountain bike and My problem when I went road was lack of speed. All those long steep hills to go up on a bike weighing a bit too much and on a trail that you have to negotiate round the mud- the scree and the ruts meant that I climbed hills slowly to save energy. Always got the HR up into the higher reaches though so I was not slacking.

On the road I still do the hills with a high HR but on the flat and I just ease off. Possibly saving myself for the next hill.

But a good hard ride for me on an MTB is about 30 to 40 miles offroad. On the road and it won't get tough till about 70 miles. And a metric on a road bike and I could do it tomorrrow with no training. A metric offroad is a different matter.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Too many years on a mountain bike and My problem when I went road was lack of speed. All those long steep hills to go up on a bike weighing a bit too much and on a trail that you have to negotiate round the mud- the scree and the ruts meant that I climbed hills slowly to save energy. Always got the HR up into the higher reaches though so I was not slacking.

On the road I still do the hills with a high HR but on the flat and I just ease off. Possibly saving myself for the next hill.

But a good hard ride for me on an MTB is about 30 to 40 miles offroad. On the road and it won't get tough till about 70 miles. And a metric on a road bike and I could do it tomorrrow with no training. A metric offroad is a different matter.
    I truely doubt that I will ever complete an age ride offroad..............I think there ought to be some sort of multiplier, but I don't have any idea how to calculate all of the variables. Terrain, surface, dampness, pucker factor...............etc.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing better than road riding is MTB riding.
    No. The only thing better than MTB riding is road riding.
    No. The only thing better than road or MTB riding is a bike that can handle both on and offroad riding.
    No. A pure no compromise road bike is the ultimate.
    No. A full suspension MTB is the ultimate.
    Face it. Whatever kind of bike I'm on and whatever type of riding I'm doing at the time is best.
    Variety is the spice of life.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    "Real" mountain biking can be as hard as you want to make it.
    This, I think, is especially true for those of us who were never competent off road. Since there are no former exploits to compare ourselves against, it's all fun and games.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You might as well sell the road bikes and go and get that full suspension bike now...
    Per Stap and others who mentioned suspension bikes: If I get into it, decent front suspension/hardtail bikes pop up pretty regularly on the local Craigslist. Right now there are a couple of Trek 4300s and a Rockhopper. Meanwhile, the rigid frame is OK for the easy non-technical trails I ride now. There are no actual mountains or even rocky outcrops in the greater Detroit area, except for Mt. Clemens (local joke).
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put more miles on my Specialized Sequoia, but I ride my Trek 820 far more often.
    I ride 2 miles of pavement to get to the gravel road. Then I ride 2 more miles of gravel road to get to the gravel paths on the river levees. Those paths aren't open to traffic - only pedestrians and maintenance vehicles are allowed to use them.
    After supper last night I put on my lights and went for a 20 mile mtb ride. Got back about an hour after dark. Didn't see a soul once I got on the gravel.
    That kind of riding is most satisfying. Just got to remember to take along tools and bug spray.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    Per Stap and others who mentioned suspension bikes: If I get into it, decent front suspension/hardtail bikes pop up pretty regularly on the local Craigslist. Right now there are a couple of Trek 4300s and a Rockhopper. Meanwhile, the rigid frame is OK for the easy non-technical trails I ride now. There are no actual mountains or even rocky outcrops in the greater Detroit area, except for Mt. Clemens (local joke).
    Top grade suspension bikes work- there are a lot that don't. I rode fully rigid for 11 years and only got Front suspension 2 years after the bypass to ease the pain of downhills on the chest. Hardtails are still the way to go.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another who gets on the mountain bike, rides a few miles from home to the trails, rides around the trails, and then returns. I've owned road bikes, and I like the current solution better. I like being out where it's quiet, and I like not having to drive to reach the trailhead. The bike is a full-suspension one. I like cush.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
    The bike is a full-suspension one. I like cush.
    You want cush- Act as Pilot on one of these. 6" front suspension works. Stoker needs something better though. And a couple of pics of our local hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    By the bye, I also dislike (both practically and in principle) the notion of attaching a bike to a motor vehicle and driving to a place to ride; if I can't ride there, I don't go there
    Here's my solution.

Nah, I was just taking my daughter's mountain bike to her so she could ride home. I too recently tried mountain biking for the first time since I was about 12 (although it wasn't mountain biking then; I only had one bike and used it on the streets and in the woods.) I had a blast!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I rode the trails on Bangert Island near St. Charles, MO. That was the most fun I've had in a while. I ride the Katy Trail quite often, and it passes right by Bangert. Today I took my mtb instead of my cruiser.
    I plan on spending a lot more time on those mtb trails.