Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding aggravates tennis elbow?

Posted this in the Road section but it may be more of an issue with those of us that "qualify" to frequent this section.

As I turned 59 I decided to work on fitness. Started working out with a trainer. Seems one of the exercises caused a little tennis elbow in the right arm. Stopped doing the exercise, but about 6 months later I started Road biking 100 - 120 mi wk. Don't notice any pain during riding, but be TE started getting real bad. Don't know what else might be causing it as nothing else has changed.

Dr said to avoid twisting motions (like a screwdriver) and using alternate hot an cold packs, and to get a forearm tennis elbow strap. I wear it most all day, and esp when I ride. That works really good, an the pain has subsided alot.

Has anyone else experienced tennis elbow pain from riding?
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have. It didn't cause any of my three bouts with tennis elbow, but riding aggravated it. At least riding on an upright bike aggravated it, I was fine on my recumbent.

It's amazing how well those TE forearm straps work to alleviate the pain and accelerate healing. In each of my flare-ups, wearing the strap eventually healed my TE. Although once it took about 5 months.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those tennis elbow straps- There are two forms over here. One works for the wife and the other works for me. They restrict a bit of movement but the wifes stops her twisting the elbow one way and mine stops me from twisting the other. They have worked.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it several years ago - was caused because I had to lift an hold a weight with my arms partially bend. It reoccured for several years and was irrated by the bike. I used a strap and just stoped doing things that caused me pain. It finally healed completely but it took several years.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for good luck, keep those elbows well in and it might help. At least it helps me.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid lifting heavy items with you elbow straight. Riding seems to delay the healing process, for a couple of months it hurt just doing simple things like brushing my teeth. 6 to 10 months to heal is not uncommon

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take 2 Aleve and call me in the morning.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should mention this. I've had a pain in my right arm just by the elbow for about three weeks now. Ive been lifting and carrying things more often at work and using a hand cart. It went away while on vacation when I also didn't ride. I never would have thought of tennis elbow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'Tennis Elbow' symptoms were mostly in my forearms. I couldn't hold anything. They finally listened to me at work when I had a work-mate tape the wrench into my hand so I wouldn't drop it....no exageration!

I would think that even a recumbent would have been out of the question for me as I would have been unable to use the Grip Shifters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got Golfer's Elbow in my right elbow from riding a spinning bike. I used two straps to try to minimize further discomfort. Went away when I stopped spinning for the summer. No issues at all from my road bike.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    giant, trek, peugeots, friday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TE comes from weight-lifting, especially dumbbells, and from fingersytle guitar. It affects my right elbow much more. So in cycling I compensate by using the left/front brake more. Bike fit can affect this also. The less you have to extend you forearms, the better.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got pain in both elbows even though I haven't been on my bike since early August. Been recovering from heart bypass surgery but the elbow pain is still there...along with a few others.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought I'd point a great way to hurt your wrists and elbows is to work a lot on a computer with a mouse. Just like tennis elbow. Don't ask how i know.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this problem with elbows and wrists riding my road bike on lousy pavement. The constant pounding and vibration hurts and makes cycling less fun. I have used support wraps and they do help. So do pills. And so does a bike with fatter tires and suspension.
    This issue is serious.
    I have no problems on smooth pavement. We need to get Obama's attention on this. Nothing a few billion road dollars can't fix.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone mentioned a recumbent. You really should try out a recumbent. There is no weight placed on the hands elbow or shoulders. As always with a bent comfort is the main word.