Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-09, 09:49 AM   #1
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riding aggravates tennis elbow?

Posted this in the Road section but it may be more of an issue with those of us that "qualify" to frequent this section.

As I turned 59 I decided to work on fitness. Started working out with a trainer. Seems one of the exercises caused a little tennis elbow in the right arm. Stopped doing the exercise, but about 6 months later I started Road biking 100 - 120 mi wk. Don't notice any pain during riding, but be TE started getting real bad. Don't know what else might be causing it as nothing else has changed.

Dr said to avoid twisting motions (like a screwdriver) and using alternate hot an cold packs, and to get a forearm tennis elbow strap. I wear it most all day, and esp when I ride. That works really good, an the pain has subsided alot.

Has anyone else experienced tennis elbow pain from riding?
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 10:47 AM   #2
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I have. It didn't cause any of my three bouts with tennis elbow, but riding aggravated it. At least riding on an upright bike aggravated it, I was fine on my recumbent.

It's amazing how well those TE forearm straps work to alleviate the pain and accelerate healing. In each of my flare-ups, wearing the strap eventually healed my TE. Although once it took about 5 months.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 11:00 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those tennis elbow straps- There are two forms over here. One works for the wife and the other works for me. They restrict a bit of movement but the wifes stops her twisting the elbow one way and mine stops me from twisting the other. They have worked.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 04:57 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I had it several years ago - was caused because I had to lift an hold a weight with my arms partially bend. It reoccured for several years and was irrated by the bike. I used a strap and just stoped doing things that caused me pain. It finally healed completely but it took several years.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 06:53 PM   #5
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just for good luck, keep those elbows well in and it might help. At least it helps me.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 11:09 PM   #6
merlin55

Bikes:
Avoid lifting heavy items with you elbow straight. Riding seems to delay the healing process, for a couple of months it hurt just doing simple things like brushing my teeth. 6 to 10 months to heal is not uncommon
merlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 11:20 AM   #7
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Take 2 Aleve and call me in the morning.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 05:44 PM   #8
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Funny you should mention this. I've had a pain in my right arm just by the elbow for about three weeks now. Ive been lifting and carrying things more often at work and using a hand cart. It went away while on vacation when I also didn't ride. I never would have thought of tennis elbow
fusilierdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 06:12 PM   #9
cranky old dude

Bikes:
My 'Tennis Elbow' symptoms were mostly in my forearms. I couldn't hold anything. They finally listened to me at work when I had a work-mate tape the wrench into my hand so I wouldn't drop it....no exageration!

I would think that even a recumbent would have been out of the question for me as I would have been unable to use the Grip Shifters.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 08:10 PM   #10
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I got Golfer's Elbow in my right elbow from riding a spinning bike. I used two straps to try to minimize further discomfort. Went away when I stopped spinning for the summer. No issues at all from my road bike.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 03:14 AM   #11
sunburst

Bikes: giant, trek, peugeots, friday
My TE comes from weight-lifting, especially dumbbells, and from fingersytle guitar. It affects my right elbow much more. So in cycling I compensate by using the left/front brake more. Bike fit can affect this also. The less you have to extend you forearms, the better.
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 12:26 PM   #12
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
I've also got pain in both elbows even though I haven't been on my bike since early August. Been recovering from heart bypass surgery but the elbow pain is still there...along with a few others.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:58 PM   #13
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just thought I'd point a great way to hurt your wrists and elbows is to work a lot on a computer with a mouse. Just like tennis elbow. Don't ask how i know.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 07:12 PM   #14
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
I have this problem with elbows and wrists riding my road bike on lousy pavement. The constant pounding and vibration hurts and makes cycling less fun. I have used support wraps and they do help. So do pills. And so does a bike with fatter tires and suspension.
This issue is serious.
I have no problems on smooth pavement. We need to get Obama's attention on this. Nothing a few billion road dollars can't fix.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 08:54 AM   #15
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike
Someone mentioned a recumbent. You really should try out a recumbent. There is no weight placed on the hands elbow or shoulders. As always with a bent comfort is the main word.
layedback1 is offline   Reply With Quote