Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My bike is almost sold

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My bike is almost sold

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
My bike is almost sold

It worked like a surprise. A guy was looking for a Roubaix and I told him I would sell him mine. We agreed on a price and he wants it this weekend. I've had the Roubaix for 2 years, next month and it's a fine bike, but I was wondering if there is something else out there that I should try. My choices are,
Giant Defy Advanced
Specialized Expert compact
Cervelo RS
Look 566.

These are the bikes I'm going to look at today and see what's what. If any of you know of anybody with these bikes, maybe you could shed some light on some of the good points and bad. I was also thinking about just keeping the Jamis and have only one bike. I do use the Specialized about 500 miles a month compared to the jamis at 100 a month. So that puts me back to the Roubaix. I thought about selling the Jamis, but I have more money into it, than I could get out of it.

Or just say the heck with the whole deal and just keep on riding what I have. I just thought the above bikes would be a little more responsive than the Roubaix and still give me a good ride. Anyhow any replies would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-23-09, 07:56 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you referring to a Specialized Tarmac Expert? I have put about 14,000 miles on a Roubaix Expert Compact over the past 2.5 years. When I purchased the bike my goal was to ride on fast group rides and longer rides. I thought the relaxed frame and compact crank would be to my benefit. Over the past two years I began to train and race and the bike served me well. I had the stem set as low as it would allow to keep me as aero as possible. I recently upgraded to a Tarmac Pro SL with a standard crankset when the Roubaix's frame was damaged in an auto collision. After a couple rides on the Tarmac I'm very pleased in the bike. It fits like an old glove and I don't have any issues with the more aggressive position, which I wanted.

The Tarmac only has 2 Zertz inserts located on the seat post as compared to the 6 Zertz inserts on the Roubaix. The seat post insert has a light purple cast. The purple inserts must be a really special equipment as the new bike rides just comfortable as the Roubaix.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 09-23-09 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't go wrong with look frames and forks. i have 585 and its the best i've riden
Old 09-23-09, 08:46 AM

Yes I was referring to the Roubaix Expert Compact and I hope to take it for a ride today as well as the Look. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-23-09, 10:42 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are selling a Roubaix to buy a Roubaix?

But I think you are selling a AL/CF Roubaix to potentially purchase a full CF Roubaix, correct?

You seem to have fully adapted to road bikes, after a fairly long period of moving in that direction.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-23-09, 10:50 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am a Giant man but looked at the DEFY and not too pleased. No test ride which would be the final test but just does not seem to be up to the quality that I ride now. Now the new TCR's are a different proposition.

But 3 bike names that I must try sometime. They have all caught my attention and one of those is Cervello. Won't tell you the others as they are not on your list

But get out and try them all. Which is what I should do sometime. I might find that with the type of riding I am doing now- I might not suit the bikes I think I should.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-23-09, 01:01 PM
Junior WHAT?!?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SELLING a bike???

I've heard of that but thought it was just a old wives tale. I didn't believe that people really sold them.
It just seems so........final, or something.
Old 09-23-09, 01:34 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by molarface
SELLING a bike???

I've heard of that but thought it was just a old wives tale. I didn't believe that people really sold them.
It just seems so........final, or something.
He's trading up. Therefore he's gaining.
Old 09-23-09, 02:20 PM

After riding a Specialized Expert Com, a Tarmac, a Trek Madone, Giant Defy, Felt, Cervelo and Look. I liked the Look the best. It had Rival components and really rode nice, but it was red. My second choice would have been the Cevelo, but it had really crappy wheels. I think they were Shimano R 20. Then the Felt had a nice ride as well, but the graphics really turned me off.

I can get the Look for $2700 and don't have to do anything to it. The Cervelo was $3100 and I would have to upgrade the wheels. The Felt was marked down to $2000, but I would have to buy wheels for it as well. So there you have it. I think I got about 25 miles in riding so that was good.

It does make me wonder about a different wheel set and keep what I have. The Specialized Expert Com wasn't much different than what I have. I really didn't notice much difference from the 105 to the Ultegra components. Yes Tom, I do have the full carbon Roubaix and it's nice, but I'm always looking for something a little better.

Anyhow I'm going to have to think this over a little more and see what I come up with. Thanks a lot for all the replies and ride safe.
Old 09-23-09, 02:36 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have to admit that the two road bikes I ride have good wheels. I have thought about getting a better bike- but don't think I could warrant the cost at present.

But how many miles on your current bike? Enough to say that it is going to need a few replacement parts shortly?--- That can get expensive and I hate to say it but Frames do go "off" If you have a buyer and you can get the bike you want- then get the bike. You liked the Look the best. What if it is the wrong colour. When you ride it- you won't be looking at the bike. I even have a bike with White on it but luckily not much.

I know it is up to you but I would go into the LBS with the look with some tinted glasses on. Preferably ones that would turn the frame into the colour you want. Then test the Look again- to see if it is the bike you want. If it is not a better bike then you have now- think again.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-23-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 02:37 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. I didn't think people sold bikes. They get stolen (horror), or they get smashed up in a crash (horror) or they get smashed up when you forget they are on the roof and drive into the garage (horror) or they get given away when a better one comes along (good karma).

Or more likely they sit in the basement gathering dust.
Old 09-23-09, 02:54 PM

Just for the heck of it I looked the Felt up and I guess $2000 is a pretty good deal.
https://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalo.../09-f4-sl.aspx

Thanks again for the replies. I had to look up the Felt, man is that a great price.
Old 09-23-09, 04:48 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I recently upgraded to a Tarmac Pro SL with a standard crankset when the Roubaix's frame was damaged in an auto collision.
What is your longest ride to date on your Tarmac?
I bought the Tarmac Expert in 2007 - Ultegra with Dura Ace RD. I like the ride for about 50 miles and then it grates on me. General overall soreness, legs, butt, arms. I have not found a combo that makes the ride comfy for a century yet. The odd thing is it is extremely comfortable for those shorter rides. What has been your experience? My Simoncini rides well all the way out to a century.
Old 09-24-09, 02:14 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
What is your longest ride to date on your Tarmac?
I bought the Tarmac Expert in 2007 - Ultegra with Dura Ace RD. I like the ride for about 50 miles and then it grates on me. General overall soreness, legs, butt, arms. I have not found a combo that makes the ride comfy for a century yet. The odd thing is it is extremely comfortable for those shorter rides. What has been your experience? My Simoncini rides well all the way out to a century.
Boreas is lightweight aluminium and a comfortable ride but I got the TCR-C shortly afterwards. I thought the CF would give a compliant ride- more than Aluminium but that Boreas does take some beating on the comfort stakes. The TCR is for hills. Have no idea why but it just sails up them. You pedal and next thing you know it is at the top. Boreas is not bad but if hills are involved- then I have to ride the TCR. But like you- over 50 miles and Boreas gets used- or if it is a flatter ride- or if I need to put in some speed.

Whether this is a trait of C.F.- I cannot say but Each bike is set up the same- or as near as possible. It just seems that they like to have different uses.

Spike Milligan