Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

About to hit the big five-oh

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 12:41 AM
rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Geezers! Okay, I'm only forty-nine years old until next summer, but I figured I might as well dip my toe in the water here. I've been riding the same Schwinn ten-speed since the early 1980s, and, here's the kicker, most of the many thousands of miles have been "no hands" while simultaneously playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar.

The Schwinn Sportabout (a "Varsinental" type) is not a light machine. I just weighed mine last week and it is forty-three pounds as equipped with a Schwinn U-lock, two headlights, two tail lights and a Schwinn Approved rack over the rear wheel. My own weight has topped two hundred pounds before, and for some years until this year was hovering between 190 and 200 pounds pretty consistently. I've ridden my bicycle a lot more this year (partly because my car is broken!) and I'm down to about 185 pounds now.

The great news is that sometime in the next week or so my vintage Schwinn is going to have some major improvements made to it. The original steel handlebar and stem will be replaced by an aluminum one from a different model Schwinn of similar vintage, and I am having the LBS lace vintage Schwinn Approved hubs to modern aluminum rims for lighter and stronger wheels. I am also upgrading to Kool-Stop "salmon" brake pads for the new rims.

I don't know if any of this will be enough to make up for the fact that I am older when it comes to riding up hills, but it's gotta help

The "upgrades" page isn't published yet on my web site until the work is actually done, but the "New Wheels" page is already up even though I leave space at the bottom for photographs of the finished wheels that aren't done yet.

Peace. Out. TBG
Old 09-29-09, 08:50 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss-normally that is a good thing.

Many of us have ridden the Schwinns as well-but probably not while strumming Fender or even an air guitar.

If you haven't tried some of the other new technology in bikes today you might give it a spin. For a lot of us it makes the riding experience even more enjoyable. But then again some folks very satisfied with the vintage models.
Old 09-29-09, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sensible upgrades. You will the wheels. BEWARE of birthday party givers ! Fifty's a big one. Why don't you ride with a Les ? Is it on account of the weight ?
Old 09-29-09, 11:11 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez,

Another no-hand riding gitar picking young gun. You young guys are all alike!

Welcome aboard.
Old 09-29-09, 03:24 PM
rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
Sensible upgrades
The upgrades were suggestions sent to me in April 2009 by a former Schwinn store manager named Raleigh D. He is also the source of the better handlebar and stem. I was originally going to go with a handlebar and stem from a 1970s Continental to stay true to the "Varsinental" theme, but the parts he offered come from a Le Tour or similar Made in Japan model. These are still 1970s Schwinn parts, look similar to what one might find on a Continental, and are very pretty. I couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted by old and new
Why don't you ride with a Les ? Is it on account of the weight ?
That's probably the biggest reason. Les Pauls weigh twice as much as Stratocasters, but I also like the way a Strat's body is contoured and the double cutaways, and there's nothing like the sound of a tortured Strat. I've always played a Strat or Strat copy.

Last edited by BikeGuitarist; 09-29-09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 03:28 PM
rocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Geez,

Another no-hand riding gitar picking young gun.
Another??? Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't sure how I'd be received in the 50+ forum considering I'm only 49.
Old 09-29-09, 03:34 PM
rocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
If you haven't tried some of the other new technology in bikes today you might give it a spin. For a lot of us it makes the riding experience even more enjoyable. But then again some folks very satisfied with the vintage models.
I've ridden the same Schwinn bicycle since the early 1980s. It has a very smooth, comfortable and solid ride even if it is twice as heavy and not as efficient as the bicycles of today. I've never even tried to ride another bicycle all this time, only this one. I'm not even sure if another Sportabout or Continental of the same era would have the same magic as the one I have.

According to the front page feature story of the October 15, 2007 issue of the News Review newspaper of Roseburg, Oregon, leprechauns running alongside are what make it possible for me to ride and play guitar at the same time. Do all Schwinns of that era come with attendant leprechauns, or did I just get lucky?
Old 09-29-09, 03:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hate to say it but bikes have improved over the past few years- let alone pushing 30.

I only started riding in 1990 and I can still remember my first "New" bike. A Trek 820. in comparison to my 1990 Bianchi Grizzley there is a world of difference. Have to admit that not many of the Current MTB's interest me- but the quality of the parts does. They have improved a lot in the last year or so.

But Vintage and Veteran bikes have an attraction . Just not for me.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-29-09, 04:33 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeGuitarist
Another??? Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't sure how I'd be received in the 50+ forum considering I'm only 49.
We never can know how long we will be in the 50+ forum, so a head start is a good thing.