Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bikeing terms that I remember..

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bikeing terms that I remember..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 11:35 AM

Bikes: DeRosa, Marinoni, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some more "Retro Weirdness": "Ramhorn" handlebars, anyone remember this variation on the classic Mustang style bars? I mounted a pair on my first 2 wheeler when I was 9 or 10 (late 60s).
Old 10-04-09, 11:57 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a bike part, but a stunt..... remember doing wheelies?
Old 10-04-09, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
-Those plastic lights that shone light in two directions, with a white lens facing front, and a red one facing rear. They were small and light weight, with the idea being that you could strap it to your left arm, or left ankle.
Mine had yellow and red lenses and they had cloth straps that were hard to tighten.
Old 10-04-09, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Piece of old leather belt hanging on both axles "sliding" around to keep them clean.
Old 10-04-09, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
This reminds me of my friend John Bright from Boston, MA who during the 70's and 80's would do wheelies on a road bike the whole length of my street.

John was an excellent road racer. I remember in the 80's he was riding in a race in Falmouth, MA. Eric Heiden (Olympic speed skater) was also in that race. Eric finished 52nd and my friend John finished 8th. I never forgot that day.
Old 10-04-09, 08:50 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Mine [plastic leg light] had yellow and red lenses and they had cloth straps that were hard to tighten.
Mine had the white front, red rear, and a squarish yellow lens on top. Think it took two C batteries. Ditto on the cloth strap.
Old 10-05-09, 07:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickJIV
Piece of old leather belt hanging on both axles "sliding" around to keep them clean.
The ones you could buy had little round reflectors on them, we called 'em "Hub Shiners".
Old 10-05-09, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old black leather "Detto Pietro" racing shoes, they had hard wooden (or leather?) soles that would last about a year. The cleats had to be nailed on...hopefully in the correct position. Then I remember finally getting a pair of the latest Adidas "Eddy Merckx" models with synthetic mesh uppers and a plastic sole, of course the cleats still had to be nailed on.
Old 10-05-09, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-Drilled brake levers. In the early '70s, if you paid $300.00 or more for a "ten speed" it probably came with brake levers with lots of little holes drilled in them. Some chainrings were also drilled.:
I recall being a bit of a "weight weenie" back then and trying to drill out almost anything to lighten it up, my old Marinoni has drilled out rear dropouts.

-Simplex Derailers. You are officially in the old timers club if you remember these. :
The old lower-end plastic Simplex derailleurs were horrible, the black plastic turned white with age and they were the most sluggish units ever. The high-end all alloy Simplex stuff was better though.
Old 10-05-09, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
To ask somebody to go for a bike ride you'd ask if they wanted to do some "free wheeling".
Old 10-05-09, 08:04 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by garboplex
My old black leather "Detto Pietro" racing shoes, they had hard wooden (or leather?) soles that would last about a year. The cleats had to be nailed on...hopefully in the correct position. Then I remember finally getting a pair of the latest Adidas "Eddy Merckx" models with synthetic mesh uppers and a plastic sole, of course the cleats still had to be nailed on.
I'm still using mine:

Not sure why yours only lasted a year, though...
Old 10-05-09, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8288 Post(s)
Liked 9,067 Times in 4,484 Posts
My dad bought me an "English Racer" 3 speed from Pep Boys for $35 in 1965, or so. I broke the frame after a couple years. My older brother had a J.C. Higgens in the 50s and early 60s.
There is a race series here called 'The coaster brake challenge'. Race any bike you want, as long as it is singlespeed with a coaster brake. No front brake allowed. It's off-road and a friend did it last year and won one of the races. It was written up in Bike Magazine and one of their editors did one of the races on a Soft Ride.
Old 10-05-09, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I still have one wool jersey and one pair of wool tights. I don't quite fit into the jersey anymore. The bike that the jersey goes with had all drilled parts, and sew-ups.

I once wore the tights on a river rafting trip. I was the only one that was warm in the water as it acted as a wet suit.

I had an English Racer, a Royce Union, with twist shift 3 speed. It was the coolest bike around. Then I rode my friends 5 speed and was hooked so I bought a 10speed Peugeot with the plastic Simplex derailleur and the rims that hummed when you used the brakes. They didn't stop worth a damn, but the sounded nice.

Do you remember real suede chammies? They turned rock hard when you washed them.
Old 10-05-09, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8288 Post(s)
Liked 9,067 Times in 4,484 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
People still do wheelies. Floyd Landis and Robbie McKewen come to mind. I rode with this guy and he popped the front end up every time he saw a camera.
Old 10-05-09, 12:27 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

Yes, but one time my front wheel fell out. That kind of ruined the fun for me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-05-09, 12:57 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
People still do wheelies. Floyd Landis and Robbie McKewen come to mind. I rode with this guy and he popped the front end up every time he saw a camera.

Wow, great picture and he looks like a Clyde.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-05-09, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Anybody remember those square white plastic headlights that slid into a white plastic receiver that clamped onto your handlebars via a white plastic thumbscrew? I think they were French, and the only place you could get batteries for them was at the bike shop?
Old 10-05-09, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
^
The lights are Wonder Lights with that funky French battery. I think they were a La Vie Claire sponsor.
Old 10-05-09, 04:30 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
I had one of those, and even wrote up a glowing (no pun intended) review that got published in a "Wraparound" section of Harper's magazine for consumer reviews of products.
Old 10-05-09, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I may still have my wonder light. The batteries didn't last all that long. Or maybe I had a knock-off since I don't remember it being a special battery.
Old 10-05-09, 06:43 PM
Chilled Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-Those plastic lights that shone light in two directions, with a white lens facing front, and a red one facing rear. They were small and light weight, with the idea being that you could strap it to your left arm, or left ankle.
These were called "French armband lights." I still have two of them.
Old 10-05-09, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
Terms I remember

Trackman's wobble [removing one ball bearing from a hub to make it spin faster]
Drillium
Flickstand
Hairnet [leather helmet]
Skid Lid
Old 10-05-09, 07:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I may still have my wonder light. The batteries didn't last all that long. Or maybe I had a knock-off since I don't remember it being a special battery.
I had a couple of Wonder Lights. The batteries were quite unique in the States. They did come out with some better (more expensive) batteries at some point.
They weren't Wonderful lights, but the competition in battery bike lights was pretty poor around 1980 or so.
Old 10-05-09, 08:09 PM
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Anybody remember those square white plastic headlights that slid into a white plastic receiver that clamped onto your handlebars via a white plastic thumbscrew? I think they were French, and the only place you could get batteries for them was at the bike shop?
Originally Posted by tony2v
^
The lights are Wonder Lights with that funky French battery. I think they were a La Vie Claire sponsor.
Originally Posted by bcoppola
^
I had one of those, and even wrote up a glowing (no pun intended) review that got published in a "Wraparound" section of Harper's magazine for consumer reviews of products.
Originally Posted by zacster
Yeah, I remember them! I peeled the cardboard off that encased the battery and discovered it was made from three "AA" cells that were soldered in series. After that, I was able to do the same to make my own replacement batteries. The light output was miserable and the plastic clamp would slip if you ran on a rough road or over a pavement change. But it was lightweight and didn't require a "premanent" set up.
Old 10-05-09, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Here's my attempt at a wheelie last Mother's Day. I made my son take me out to teach me. I stayed up like this for,oh,135cm. (It's national metric day)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Still 1.jpg (44.9 KB, 19 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.