Thread: First Century

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Century

Well fellow BF member Robert Foster has sufficiently motivated me into doing the Hemet Century on Saturday. My previous longest ride was a metric century last year, but I have over 2,000 miles in this year and did a 50 mile tune-up ride on Monday with no issues at all. In fact, if I had time, I felt as if I could have done a century on Monday. My new saddle is the best I have ridden on to the point where I almost don't even think about it. I guess I'm as ready as I ever will be...

Today I start loading some good carbs and hydrating along with a quick 15 miles to get the juices flowing.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Metric Man,

Which one are you doing? The 2nd loop is much more scenic, if that matters to you. On the other hand, if you do the first loop, and still feel good (great food at lunch!), then you still have time to join us on the 2nd loop for your first double!

My wife and I are riding the Hemet double, plus my wife is riding with Lou Ann (it will be Lou's first double), and our Australian friend Andrew is riding it too. Hemet is always a fun double!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck!

You have been around here enough to know what to expect and what you will need to do.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and stay away from doing a double.....at least this time.
    Dont let Rick bait you in. LOL

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi Metric Man,

Which one are you doing? The 2nd loop is much more scenic, if that matters to you. On the other hand, if you do the first loop, and still feel good (great food at lunch!), then you still have time to join us on the 2nd loop for your first double!

My wife and I are riding the Hemet double, plus my wife is riding with Lou Ann (it will be Lou's first double), and our Australian friend Andrew is riding it too. Hemet is always a fun double!

Rick / OCRR
    With all due respect Rick YOU'RE AN ANIMAL!! I am looking forward to meeting you though...what time are you heading out on the first loop?

I will not be doing a double, and only hope to finish in 7 hours or so...maybe less.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Good luck!

You have been around here enough to know what to expect and what you will need to do.
    Thanks CF...I feel pretty good about this one. It's not a big climbing century and I train in hills so it shouldn't be too much trouble.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Good luck and stay away from doing a double.....at least this time.
    Dont let Rick bait you in. LOL
    Don't worry about that!
    Mark

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    With all due respect Rick YOU'RE AN ANIMAL!! I am looking forward to meeting you though...what time are you heading out on the first loop?
    Hi Metric Man,

My wife is in charge of the depart time and she seems to be wavering between 3:30 and 4:00 AM. I plan to start with Jackie (my wife) and Lou Ann; stay with them until it gets light, then take off on my own.

You see . . . I get lost easily and my wife never gets lost! So on doubles I traditionally stay with her (or someone else who knows the way) until dawn. I'm hoping to finish the first loop between 11:00 AM and Noon.

I have an "idea" of going back to my Motel room, taking a shower and changing into fresh shorts/jersey/socks for the 2nd loop. This would consume an additional 1/2 hour, approx. but may be worth it. I'll let you know if I actually go through with this notion when I write my report after the ride!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're checking into the Motel tonight? I'm going to head down to Hemet to register tonight so maybe I'll see you then...but you can be sure that at 3:30 am I will still be in slumber land. It's nice that I'm only 25 minutes from the motel.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're checking into the Motel tonight? :
    Yes Metric Man,

We live in Whittier so it's a couple hour drive (depending on traffic) to Hemet. So yes we will
    be staying at the Motel 6 on both Fri. and Sat. nights.

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a bit of luck- you should be able to do Ricks second lap with him. I have heard that he slows down on the second hundred and it would a bit of an eye-opener to see if this is true

Only thing I will remind you of- is to work into the ride. On a 100 miler- I take at least 10 miles to get into my full pace. Then I can keep near it for the rest of the ride. Doesn't take much- a gear lower up the early hills- Let the 20 year olds go and let the HR creep up gradually. And if you feel that you have overdone it for a while- Slow down- take a gel with plenty of water and wait for the energy to kick back in.

Good luck and we want pics of the ride- and the PIE.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    With a bit of luck- you should be able to do Ricks second lap with him. I have heard that he slows down on the second hundred and it would a bit of an eye-opener to see if this is true.
    Actually Stapfam,

It's not a "2nd lap" but rather a completely different course for the afternoon/night bit! And I do take the first 100 slow and hammer the 2nd 100, but that only applies to the Hemet double, i.e. the only CA Double that comes back to the start after 100 miles.

Here's the link: http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/HemetDC/

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Metric-I know you'll do very well!! You'll have to change your name to Century Man afterwards!! It sounds like a terrific event.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher ARC Pro, Cannondale Caffein 29er Lefty hardtail, building a Kona Major One, Custom steel frame from early 80's with Campy Nuovo Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well fellow BF member Robert Foster has sufficiently motivated me into doing the Hemet Century on Saturday. My previous longest ride was a metric century last year, but I have over 2,000 miles in this year and did a 50 mile tune-up ride on Monday with no issues at all. In fact, if I had time, I felt as if I could have done a century on Monday. My new saddle is the best I have ridden on to the point where I almost don't even think about it. I guess I'm as ready as I ever will be...

Today I start loading some good carbs and hydrating along with a quick 15 miles to get the juices flowing.
    Metric Man- -Can you enlighten a new member as to what your new saddle is? You may have posted it elsewhere but I havn't seen it yet.

Enjoy the ride!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNRon View Post
    Metric Man- -Can you enlighten a new member as to what your new saddle is? You may have posted it elsewhere but I havn't seen it yet.

Enjoy the ride!
    As unglamorous as it is...Specialized Indie XC

In 143mm, it's the best saddle I've ever sat on...YMMV and so might your butt.
    Mark

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t plan on doing the double because last year it went up Saint John’s grade or better known as Sage Street, a steep narrow twisty road where the cars give you little or no room. I have only ridden up it once and I thought I was going to pass out. However looking at the posted second loop I believe I could have done it if I had planned better. Still I have about four people riding with us that have never done a century and I figured I would stay with them anyway. Maybe I will see Rick as well. There were a lot of people checking in as we signed up tonight. I was late because we had to take our little dog to the Vet for an emergency and I didn’t get home till after 7pm.