Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Getting new trainer.

    I've never used trainer before,but have to use it as my emphysema is worse in winter when exerting myself.My daughter is giving me one she doesnt use,not sure of brand.LBS guy was telling me they chew up tires real bad and was trying to sell me a $65 trainer tire.I could probably buy quite a few cheap crappy tires for that price.Is what he says true?I will probably use it 30-45 mins.every other day if that helps to give me a rough idea how many tires i would use up in 4-5 month period.You guys are way more knowledgable than me and always give great answers to some times difficult questions when called upon,so have at it please.And thankyou in advance.

  2. #2
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never heard of a tire that is trainer specific. All I use is an old tire that I no longer want to use on the road. I certainly wouldn't pay for a tire if I had one laying around. I keep a bike on the trainer for the winter so it's not an issue having a worn tire on the trainer as it won't be used on the road.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I never heard of a tire that is trainer specific. All I use is an old tire that I no longer want to use on the road. I certainly wouldn't pay for a tire if I had one laying around. I keep a bike on the trainer for the winter so it's not an issue having a worn tire on the trainer as it won't be used on the road.
    This tire he showed me had the tread coated or something with a bright blue color and it was extremely hard,cant use it on street for shure looked like a plastic almost.,he was saying i would go through 1 tire a month at least?if not more.

  4. #4
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you would wear out a normal tire if you used the trainer a lot but I can tell you I have used my trainer for a couple hours a day 3 or 4 days a week in the winter and have not worn out a tire. Sure it's squared off but it was worn when I put it on too. If it were me I'd buy a very cheap tire if I didn't have one sitting around. I always have used tires it seems.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Maybe you would wear out a normal tire if you used the trainer a lot but I can tell you I have used my trainer for a couple hours a day 3 or 4 days a week in the winter and have not worn out a tire. Sure it's squared off but it was worn when I put it on too. If it were me I'd buy a very cheap tire if I didn't have one sitting around. I always have used tires it seems.
    Sounds to me like LBS was kinda trying to sell something i dont need,gimmicky stuff.Thanks for reply ,ill pick up new cheap tire.
    I wonder are trainers at all hard on a bike?For instance would you use a real good bike on trainer or ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddez View Post
    Sounds to me like LBS was kinda trying to sell something i dont need,gimmicky stuff.Thanks for reply ,ill pick up new cheap tire.
    I wonder are trainers at all hard on a bike?For instance would you use a real good bike on trainer or ?
    You do not need a trainer specific tire, just an old tire. There may be more wear if you bike aggressively like standing up at over 20 MPH. You may also get more wear if you set the roller pressure low. Low roller pressure makes the training feel easier. You will know if it is too low. The tire makes a noise.
    I use a Carbon Fiber Trek Madone on the trainer without harm to the bike. I did worry about it initially but things are much harder on my bike on the road such as crashes or biking standing up some hill.

  7. #7
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use my best tires on my trainer, I use the same tires I ride on but have changed out due to cuts or excessive road wear.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,721
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just leave the summer tire on the bike and use it all winter on the trainer. I put new ones on in the spring.

  9. #9
    The guy in the 50+ jersey PAlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Davidson, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I never heard of a tire that is trainer specific. All I use is an old tire that I no longer want to use on the road. I certainly wouldn't pay for a tire if I had one laying around. I keep a bike on the trainer for the winter so it's not an issue having a worn tire on the trainer as it won't be used on the road.
    Here you go Andy, been around for several years. Don't know if there's anything to it, but a search in the Forums will also turn up several references to it as well:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.ph...urrency&id=USD

  10. #10
    Senior Member gpelpel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Posts
    2,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use my old tires. My trainer doesn't chew up tires except when the roller tension is not set high enough and the tire slips on the trainer roller at each burst of power. Another thing to look at is to make sure the tire has enough clearance from the ground. Once my trainer wasn't set high enough and the tire was barely touching my uneven tile floor, after a while I could smell some burning odor and had significant evidence of melting on the tire thread.

    The most useful expense you can make with a trainer is to get a spare wheel. Get a cheap one and mount an old tire of it. Swap the wheels for road or trainer use. It's much faster than swapping tires and it allows you to keep your road tire in good condition.

  11. #11
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,154
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Softer tires do wear quickly and leave a nice thick residue on the trainers roller. Use your old tires, then consider a roller specific trainer if you are a heavy user. I ride a trainer 6 days a week for 45 mins to 3 hours. I used one old road tire through all of last winter and may put it back on this year.

  12. #12
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Here you go Andy, been around for several years. Don't know if there's anything to it, but a search in the Forums will also turn up several references to it as well:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.ph...urrency&id=USD
    Huh, well there ya go. I guess they make everything these days. But I still use an old tire. I have a bunch of them. Sometimes I make the mistake of putting them on my bike for road use and while I have gotten a few more miles out of them they seem to flat often too. It's then I remember why I removed them in the first place.

  13. #13
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
    I also use my old tires. My trainer doesn't chew up tires except when the roller tension is not set high enough and the tire slips on the trainer roller at each burst of power. Another thing to look at is to make sure the tire has enough clearance from the ground. Once my trainer wasn't set high enough and the tire was barely touching my uneven tile floor, after a while I could smell some burning odor and had significant evidence of melting on the tire thread.

    The most useful expense you can make with a trainer is to get a spare wheel. Get a cheap one and mount an old tire of it. Swap the wheels for road or trainer use. It's much faster than swapping tires and it allows you to keep your road tire in good condition.
    That's what I do. I have an old Open Pro Ultegra wheel that is designated for trainer use. I also like to use a heavy skewer that will work with my trainer instead of chewing up a good skewer.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew i could count on you all for good answers to my questions.Thats put my mind at rest.I will get a different skewer as my stock one is black finish which i would like to keep looking good,so will get cheap one just for trainer along with cheap tire Thanks all.

  15. #15
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, they do make trainer specific tires but I've found they can wear just as fast as traditional road tires on a trainer. As Bike WNC suggested, it's easiest to get a separate rim and cassette (11-21?) and have it set up as a trainer wheel. That way you can easily swap the trainer wheel with your road wheel when it's time to go riding outside. I've found Vredestein SE's to be a really good trainer tire-you can inflate them to higher pressures, they seem to withstand the higher heats from trainer wheels and they don't wear badly at all. You can get them for $20-$30 on sale via Performance or eBay. I've never had to buy one myself... but have put on used ones ...some that even had holes in the outer casings from embedded rocks. Tough little tires........

  16. #16
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In anticipation of his upcoming shoulder surgery, Hubby ordered the Elite Crono Inout Trainer from Nashbar. (Apparently, he didn't want to wait for me to do my usual exhaustive research. )

    Oh my gosh, the noise! On-line descriptions say it's a "super-quiet resistance type" model, but the noise is similar to a jet engine during take-off. Will a different tire make a difference? This model is self-adjusting according to the rider's weight.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  17. #17
    Senior Member gpelpel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Posts
    2,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    In anticipation of his upcoming shoulder surgery, Hubby ordered the Elite Crono Inout Trainer from Nashbar. (Apparently, he didn't want to wait for me to do my usual exhaustive research. )

    Oh my gosh, the noise! On-line descriptions say it's a "super-quiet resistance type" model, but the noise is similar to a jet engine during take-off. Will a different tire make a difference? This model is self-adjusting according to the rider's weight.
    Magnetic trainers are noisy, fluid trainers are better but some are noisier than others. Tires make a difference too. I use the Kirk Kinetic indoor, it's much quieter than the Minoura magnetic I had before. I have no problem listening to the Spinervals DVDs on my laptop.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    In anticipation of his upcoming shoulder surgery, Hubby ordered the Elite Crono Inout Trainer from Nashbar. (Apparently, he didn't want to wait for me to do my usual exhaustive research. )

    Oh my gosh, the noise! On-line descriptions say it's a "super-quiet resistance type" model, but the noise is similar to a jet engine during take-off. Will a different tire make a difference? This model is self-adjusting according to the rider's weight.
    Oh boy,my neighbours are going to love me.I live in a high rise,fairly sound proof but.Maybe ill put a mat under trainer,might help.

  19. #19
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubby swapped the bike on the trainer for one with slick tires, the result is MUCH quieter.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •