Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Choice for Rail trails

I'm building up a Specialized Tricrosss for rail trail/winter road use. What would be a good all purpose tire in the 700 x 32 range?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody seems to have their own preference in tire brands.

I've been buying all Continentals for the last several years and, until they make me mad for some reason, I suppose I'll continue.

The Continental tire in the size you mentioned is the Contact or Contact Security. Both have a puncture resistant strip, the Security has reflective sidewalls.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong2 View Post
    I'm building up a Specialized Tricrosss for rail trail/winter road use. What would be a good all purpose tire in the 700 x 32 range?
    Paved or not paved?

My Bikes
    Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme on my Tricross. Expensive, but they last forever, roll fast, and they are bombproof.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_supreme
    http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...s#product=none
    You go where you look

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Continental Contact on one of my bikes. On a narrow rim, the 700x32 Contact only measures around 29mm.

The Panaracer Pasela TG is another good choice. As would be the Schwalbe Marathon and Specialized Crossroads Armadillo.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my Raleigh Passage hybrid. They seem to roll fast, I haven't had a flat in over a year, but they are heavy. I noticed the weight when I first put them on but not so much now. When these wear out I will stay with the same tires. The trails I ride are limestone screenings.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a set of Panaracer TG's on my commuter and I have been very happy with them. They are not 32's they are 28's and that seems plenty wide enough for what I do. I ride them mostly on good roads but some gravel road and some pretty rough sidewalks on my commute. 32's just seem to wide to me unless you ride off road, but that is just my preference.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, there's no such thing as "a good all-purpose tire for rail trail/winter road use". The demands of the two riding environments are different, and what helps one, is detrimental to the other--assuming that your rail trails are gravel, like they are here.

What makes a tire good for the road--rounded profile, no tread--causes it to sink in gravel. Grippy nubs (not to be confused with knobs) on a flat profile help a tire float over gravel, but they significantly reduce the contact patch on pavement, and makes any sort of wet, or even damp, pavement extremely dangerous.

I've learned this the hard way. I ride cyclocross tires on gravel, and road tires on road. And studded snow tires below freezing, because there's always a little patch of ice that mysteriously doesn't get salted away.
    Last edited by tsl; 10-04-09 at 07:27 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your responses. The winter roads use would be on paved roads. I only asked about 700 x 32 as that is what Specialized puts on them. I would definitetly consider 700 x 28 if those would work well on crushed stone trails. Thanks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panaracer Pasela TG are what has been on my bike for about 3 years now. I should say I'm on my second pair in 3 years. Great tires and the price isn't bad either.
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong2 View Post
    I appreciate your responses. The winter roads use would be on paved roads. I only asked about 700 x 32 as that is what Specialized puts on them. I would definitetly consider 700 x 28 if those would work well on crushed stone trails. Thanks
    I used 700 x 28 on limestone and changed to 32 because of deterioration of the limestone trail. May be a local problem. Lots of loose sand. Very dangerous at higher speed also if wet. We had a bad accident with a Tandem on that and that made me more careful.
    The 32 has lower pressure and more profile. Much safer. I used Bontrager with good results for many years.
    There is nothing wrong with Continental or Schwalbe either. They are all quality tires.

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grifo

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of the tires in my stable - I would use my Michelin City Trekking tires for crushed stone. Or I might actually put on those killer hybrid tires if I wanted to be bomb proof
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a prog on TV tonight and it will be possible shortly to go from London to Paris by trail. The London to the south coast will be on a cycle route that is made up of rail trail- designated cycle tracks and some road. That would be about 60 miles by the route they have given and I know some of the route as it will be on a local MUP. The route will be paved all the way so Road tyres would be possible.

40 miles into France is on a new Paved trail. It looks good. Then you start on Shale tracks and roads. The commentator that was doing the trail did it on a medium grade hybrid and it looks easy enough but on the shale track- I would be looking at a wider tyre than the 23's that I run.

So give it a year or so and it will look like a decent 3 day ride. 6 if you return aswell but for an experienced cyclist should not cause any problems with traffic. Especially in France as the French respect cyclists.

So Want to see Europe- or part of it and you may have an easy 6 day trip to plan.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh? why would 60 miles take 6 days?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    huh? why would 60 miles take 6 days?
    60 miles in England- 4 hour ferry crossing-"X" hours at Customs so that is one day done with- 140 miles to Paris and there is no way I an rushing past all those cafes and bars. so reckon 2 days from the Channel to Paris.

So 3 days to Paris and 3 days back (If I can still move after all the French food and wine)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    ........there is no way I an rushing past all those cafes and bars. so reckon 2 days from the Channel to Paris.
    Drinking and eating my way from London to Paris and back sounds like fun.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you sure 6 days is enough? There are a lot of cafes.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... not to mention French cuties!