Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will you live to be 100??

There were a couple of articles on Yahoo yesterday about living to 100, including the prophecy that more and more of us will and ways to help make it happen.

Do you want to live to 100?

Do you see yourself cycling until what age, then? What kind of cycling?

( by the way, if I'm living to 100 I certainly don't want to think of myself as "old" at 50. That would mean that I will spend almost half of my life thinking of myself as old, rather than middle-aged)

I hope that I never stop cycling. If my body rebels too much, maybe I will eventually ride a recumbent trike!
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I do not want to live to be 100. Don't want to deal with everything that would come with that goal. I can understand others wanting to, but I have no desire whatsoever.

I agree with your statement about turning 50. Even if one were to live to just 80 (which is very common if you have already reached 50), that's 30 years. Just as far away as 20 is from 50. No reason to consider one's life to be mostly over by 50, or to not have lofty future goals.

Technically, most people don't consider one to be "old" or "elderly" until you are 65 or 70, and a lot of people who are 65 or 70 reject that way of thinking. The U.S. Government's definition of "elderly" is 65 ... they may have to revisit that definition as the Baby Boomers age.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a metric.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2006 Allez, 2012 Mares
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live long or live short, but live well.
    1992 Peugeot mtb, gone
    2006 Specialized Allez
    2008 Specialized HotWalk, son's bike
    2009 Specialized Tricross, gone
    2010 Ridgeback Honey, daughter's bike
    2012 Islabikes Beinn, daughter's 2nd bike
    2012 Focus Mares
    2012 Cannondale SuperSix

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    No, I do not want to live to be 100. Don't want to deal with everything that would come with that goal. I can understand others wanting to, but I have no desire whatsoever.

I agree with your statement about turning 50. Even if one were to live to just 80 (which is very common if you have already reached 50), that's 30 years. Just as far away as 20 is from 50. No reason to consider one's life to be mostly over by 50, or to not have lofty future goals.

Technically, most people don't consider one to be "old" or "elderly" until you are 65 or 70, and a lot of people who are 65 or 70 reject that way of thinking. The U.S. Government's definition of "elderly" is 65 ... they may have to revisit that definition as the Baby Boomers age.
    +1 this is exactly how I feel.
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would give me 35 years of struggling to survive on a pension that is not large enough.

And 35 more years of hills.

Mind you- if the pension increases-I'll take the ups and downs that go with it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang1 View Post
    Live long or live short, but live well.
    +1 Today was the only one that matters.

(And today was special since I got in 12 mile rides on my three favorite bikes.... every now and then I like to do this: ride a 12 mile circuit on three different bikes. I am a lucky man... three bikes that are fantastic.)

Should tomorrow come, I'll rejoice and deal with what it brings me.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough question. At 67, I feel like I'd like to go on living even past 100. However, I'm aware that things can change and I might change my mind as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being 70, the predicted median (half live longer, half live less long) life span for a person my age today is 85. As for me, I'm more interested in maintaining a quality lifestyle that includes plenty of activity and don't much think about longevity.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would demand new jerseys!

I'm only 56 but really dont want to go that long.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Louis.........the older I get, the longer I want to live......

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Do you want to live to 100?

Oh good lord no! WHY? I see myself getting to about 78, still fairly healthy, have my mind, some money to live on and "pop" stroke, gone... that would be perfect.

Do you see yourself cycling until what age, then? What kind of cycling?

Yes... everything I do now (road and mountain) but just slower and with more caution.
    It's not so much about being healthy and living a long active life, it's just living in a world where I will probably still have to work and it's gone to hell in a hand basket. Alittle off topic I know, but I know hard times are coming and I don't want to be old and have to deal with it. Hard times are better suited for youth.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt I will and do not think I would want to anyway. Seems alot of things can and will happen the older one gets and I do not want to deal with them or have someone have to deal taking care of me.
    I am with NOS88, today is the day and if tomorrow comes I will deal with that.

My Bikes
    '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 56 and for me it depends more on the quality of life than anything else. If I manage to stay healthy then 70 0r 80 is fine. 100, I am not to sure if I want to hang on that long. I am retiring from my current job the day after Christmas and I am kinda worried about the future (hell in a hand basket and all). If you look back at the medical breakthroughs that have occured in the past 25 years the next 25 years could be quite amazing. Who knows.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to live to 47. I will reach this goal on Friday. Beyond that, all bets are off.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 70, my mother is 96 and in good health and is mentally sharp (and still drives). I hope that I have inherited her genes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly, I want to be healthy and active as long as I live. My grandfather and uncle both had strokes that disabled them for several years and it was pretty sad seeing them imprisoned in the hospital bed. My mother however was making plans on her deathbed to finish her PhD.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1992 Trek 970 SingleTrack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'all are too philosophical! You bet yer ass I want to live to be 100, and as far beyond as I can!

Look at all we've seen in life in the 50+ years we've had. I want to see what more life has to offer, and what wonders come down the pike. My grandmother lived from the horse and buggy days well past man landing on the moon. Imagine those sorts of changes for us.

Two years ago when Dad died at 77, suddenly those 24 years between us didn't seem nearly long enough! All four of my grandparents and several great grandparents lived into their late eighties. I can certainly do at least that well. When I was a teen I read Lord of the Rings, and decided then and there that just like Bilbo Baggins, I too would have an eleventy-first birthday party. I just passed the halfway point six months ago, so I'm barely half dead!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have no designs on living to 100, and really don't care if I live past 75, my wife has a fair chance of getting to 100. Her great-grandmother lived to 95, her grandmother is still kicking at 96. Given 40+ years of medical advances and 100 is not the least bit far-fetched for her.

But I've told her she's going to have to go the last 25 or so years alone. My pension should take care of her. So I have no guilty feelings about it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never thought about it. Both of my parents died young and I had never thought I'd live to be as old as I am. I've lived longer than both of my parents. Like others here, I think the best that most anyone can hope for is to lead a healthy and active life until they die. We've all seen what medicine can do today--keep people around for a long time without decent quality of life, draining a family's financial resources. Whether that can continue in this country, I would suspect not.

I too look for the economic downturn to worsen much more before things improve; I hope I'm wrong but I think we could be in for triple-digit inflation in the US. Heaven help those of us in the US if the dollar is dropped as a reserve currency. Foreign investors will depart and we'll need loans from international organizations like the IMF and World Bank. The bureaucrats in D.C. will be in shock if they just can't print more money to cover their endless deficit spending. I don't see them able to exercise the discipline to reduce spending so I expect to see taxes increase significantly.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can still play golf, ride a bike and drink margaritas then heck yeah!! Not sure if I could still do a birthday ride but you just never know.......

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine how many bikes will be hanging in my garage if I live to 100. Best be thinking about some sort of storage building when we downsize the house.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to live to 150 and be shot by a jealous husband while running out the back door with my clothes under my arm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=
    But I've told her she's going to have to go the last 25 or so years alone. My pension should take care of her. So I have no guilty feelings about it.[/QUOTE]

But will your pension cover the second husband and the Corvette?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh129 View Post
    But will your pension cover the second husband and the Corvette?
    I hope not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast