Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-09, 12:35 AM   #1
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uprooting a stem

I decided to swap out the fork last night. I had a traditional threaded fork and expander-plug stem on the bike I'm currently using, and I wnated to replace the fork with an all-carbon threadless unit. Anyway, I've got everything finished, but it took me at least three hours to get the stem out of the old fork steerer tube. I had to really reef on the bars side to side, and spray most of a can of penetrating oil into the base of the stem. It was coming out millimeter by millimeter. I would have to stop every now and then to cool off and rest, or check my email, make dinner, have a drink, etc. Anyway, I couldn't believe how long it took before the stem finally came out of the steerer.

I had never liked threadless forks, but I am changing my opinion. It's sure much easier to get the handlebar/stem assembly off a threadless steerer after a winter of bike commuting than off a traditional threaded unit. I never want to deal with traditional expander-bolt stems anymore. Now if they could only figure out a better way to do seatposts...

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 06:29 AM   #2
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
Now if they could only figure out a better way to do seatposts...
My thoughts exactly.

I currently have two road bikes with threaded stems, and swapping out bars is no bargain either. Despite all of that, when I look at any one of my newer steeds and the thread-less setups and then look at the graceful sweeping shape of my Cinelli stem, the Cinelli wins hands down on aesthetics.
Old 10-07-09, 06:56 AM   #3
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
1. When you put it in place, use Phil's waterproof grease on the stem, liberally below the top headset bearing.

2. Use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer (no bounce) to tap the stem up from the bottom while holding down on the bike.

3. Reverse of 2, use a piece of PVC pipe with a slot cutout, put it around the stem, and tap down on the headtube/headset while holding the stem/bars. Pad it with cloth if you need.

Oh yeah, unscrew the expander plug bolt until it extends above the headset. Then tap it down to be sure the expander is loose from the steerer before you try to get the stem out.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 10-07-09 at 12:11 PM.
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 08:01 AM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
Oh yeah, unscrew the expander plug bolt until it extends above the headset. Then tap it down to be sure the expander is loose from the steerer before you try to get the stem out.
That almost always works for me. The only exceptions have been old bikes that had been in storage for several years.
Seat posts are another story.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:38 AM   #5
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
. Now if they could only figure out a better way to do seatposts...

Anti-seize is your friend.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:48 AM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
C.F.Seatposts never stick.

But as a warning- Ti and aluminium will bond better than a weld- unless you use an anti seize agent between them.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 04:43 PM   #7
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
I did use an anti-seize compound, applied liberally. But here in British Columbia, you're dealing with salted roads and wet conditions just about every day between late November and mid-March. I think the anti-seize just gets leeched out of the frame...

And I did have the carbon post stick to the steel frame, but it was easier to get out anyway than the aluminum stem. The disadvantage with carbon is that if it does get stuck, you don't want to apply heat to the tubing! I apply the carbon paste liberally.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 05:19 AM   #8
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As I know only too well, this is a maintenance problem. When I started cycling nearly 40 years ago, the old-school shop owner who sold me my first Peugeot warned me to pull, grease and replace the seat post and quill stem once a year Of course I ignored him for three or four years, and since I lived near the ocean, things were wet and salty a lot. When I finally wanted to change stems, it was a long, tedious task.
FWIW, most lubricants and penetrating oils aren't very effective on steel/aluminum bonds. Ammonia trickled into the joint is supposed to dissolve them. Never tried it, but I've read that it works.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote