Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling Playlist Exchange

There have been two recent contrarian threads on the Road Form, “How can you ride with music” and “How can you ride without music.” So IMO, the arguments have been well-debated. I recently got an I-pod and have been voraciously seeking tunes with cycling in mind. My criteria are listed in this post (in reply to the first of those threads):

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I use my cadence meter faithfully when I ride, but I only synch my cadence to the beat when going up hills if I want to raise my cadence. On stiff hills then, even a low cadence, say 50-60, can be beneficial. I select my playlist not only by tempo but by the melody and harmony. So on the flats or downhills, the music is a pleasant accompaniment. My main criterion to put a tune on my playlist is "Do I want to hear this while struggling up a hill (and do I want to hear it more than once, since it is on my playlist)?".

BTW, don't knock Lawrence Welk; he had good musicianship. If you object to his tunes, IMO, Big Band standards (and Classic Rock) are great for cycling.
    Personally, I feel that cycling tunes motivate me to get out onto the road more and have significantly improved my riding. I am seeking suggestions for tunes to add to maintain the variety. Not to sound greedy, but I have about 250 already. Several threads have appeared on BF suggesting cycling tunes, but frankly I have never heard of about 90%. For example see the current thread,

"What's your favorite music to workout to?":
    Whats your favorite music to workout to?

As noted above, I like Big Band and Classic Rock, so I am posting here on the Fifty Plus Forum for suggestions.

I have already exchanged playlists with one subscriber on this Forum who has somewhat similar tastes, but mostly New Wave tunes. She did like three of my selections and picked them up. What I propose is that if you are interested in exchanging playlists, just save your list, or selected tunes, as an Excel Spreadsheet, then copy and paste the Title and Artist columns on your Visitor Message window and post it. Finally, reply to this thread if you have done so to let us know. Alternatively, are there certain artists you like?

Mine is up and I was able to post my entire list of 250 in alphabetical order by Artist, divided into songs before and after 1950. Just click on my screen name and then View Public Profile. My Fifty Plus correspondent gave me the needle about some of my selections, so comments are welcome too. “Hit me with your best shot! / “Fire away!”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you just looking for a list of tunes that fit the criteria or .........?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Are you just looking for a list of tunes that fit the criteria or .........?
    Whatever you've got. Those are my own particular criteria to put a tune on my playlist. Besides maybe someone else may like it if I don't. .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my software for my ipod on my work computer so tomorrow I will try to get the info and post.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride low usage, rural rail trails and love the serenity of same. Thus I have never once ridden with music. However, if'n I were to ride roads, I would give much more consideration to riding with music. Although I must say that I don't know how to distinguish "cycling" music.

I know when I drive, I like to listen to Dylan, Jackson Browne, the Allman Brothers, and some blues. Those strike me as "travelin' music."

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some nature sound tracks that might be good for cycling. Bird song, wind in trees, flowing streams, etc.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I ride low usage, rural rail trails and love the serenity of same. Thus I have never once ridden with music. However, if'n I were to ride roads, I would give much more consideration to riding with music. Although I must say that I don't know how to distinguish "cycling" music.

I know when I drive, I like to listen to Dylan, Jackson Browne, the Allman Brothers, and some blues. Those strike me as "travelin' music."
    I've got a couple Jackson Browne tunes, some blues and I have considered some Allman Bros, in particular (?) Jezebel-- is that theirs?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe how inexpensive the MP3 players are getting. I recently picked up a 2GB Sansa Clip for $30. And to my amazement, through my high-end headphones, the audio quality was better than two different iPods I compared it to, which included a far more expensive iPod Nano that I purchased for my 17 yr old.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a couple Jackson Browne tunes, some blues and I have considered some Allman Bros, in particular (?) Jezebel-- is that theirs?
    Have you listened to Ten Years After, George Thorogood and then there is Jeff Beck. He can be out there but also has some very smooth tunes. And also Eric Clapton.
    I do not listen to music while riding either and think , to me anyway, it would be a deterent because I need the silence to hear cars coming from behind and with music I would get lost in the songs and lose focus on riding safely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Have you listened to Ten Years After, George Thorogood and then there is Jeff Beck. He can be out there but also has some very smooth tunes. And also Eric Clapton...
    I've got Tulsa Time by EC; I'll check out the other artists at the I-tunes store.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often ride to a podcast entitled Cadence Revolution. It features indie electronica. I wouldn't recommend it for easy listening but it can be pretty entertaining when you're riding.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks. I prefer the music of the machine.

But off the bike, I'm into euro-trance electronica.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Jessica." Um, I believe "Jezebel" might be quite a different kind of song. "Jessica" is an excellent song to motivate one to work a little harder on the bike. One day, my son passed me from the opposite direction in his car. Later that day he said, "Mom, you looked like a flying banshee on that bike." I was listening to "Jessica."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread,Jim!
    I will post a list as soon as I have the time and access to my music.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can play any music I want to hear while riding from my own memory. I like listening to the sounds around me as I ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no finer music than the soft whirring of tires on pavement with the wind at your back. I'll record it and send it to you.

And, like Bluesdawg, I have an ipod in my brain. It's on shuffle, though, and I find myself singing the oddest stuff.

Other than that, I can't imagine listening to music while dropping off the backside of a mountain pass, rapidly picking up speed on bad pavement.
    Last edited by Cone Wrench; 10-23-09 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This took some time to get into text format but you decide what is worthy to put on your ipod. Started out as a 60 min. list that is now 4+ hours total. A mix of up tempo and some tunes to slow you down for several min mixed in.

1. WeeJams - Star Spangled Banner (1:34) Local Pittsburgh DuWap Band - Inspiring SSB Version
    2. The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up (3:32)
    3. Al Stewart - License to Steal (3:55) Kill all the lawyers song
    4. Andrew Lloyd Webber - I Don't Know How To Love Him (3:40) from JC Superstar
    5. Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees (5:04)
    6. John Mellencamp - Pink Houses (4:44)
    7. The Outlaws - Green Grass And High Tides (9:48)
    8. Joy Of Cooking - Brownsville / Mockingbird (5:51)
    9. Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (5:31) w/ USC Marching band
    10. Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing (4:03)
    11. Shawn Colvin - Round Of Blues (4:45)
    12. Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care (3:19)
    13. Mike Oldfield - Bell (6:59) Tubular Bells II
    14. Matraca Berg - Along for the Ride (3:45) Best cycling song ever?
    15. Ramsey Lewis - Sky Islands (4:22)
    16. The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (3:47)
    17. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (4:22) USC Band again
    18. John Mellencamp - Hurts So Good (3:39) Hill climbing music?
    19. The Band - The Shape I'm In (4:01)
    20. Mason Williams; Mannheim Steamroller - Classical Gas (3:31)
    21. Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line (3:26) Maybe should be moved to the end?
    22. Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number (4:33)
    23. Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home (4:23)
    24. Steve Winwood - Higher Love (5:51)
    25. Sergio Mendes - Magalenha (3:39)
    26. Earth Wind & Fire - Boogie Wonderland (4:47)
    27. Ten Years After - I'm Going Home [Live] (9:57)
    28. The Kennedys - Mr. Lucky Man (4:08)
    29. Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns And Money (3:29)
    30. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (3:58)
    31. Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner (3:46)
    32. Traffic - Mozambique (4:23)
    33. Shooglenifty - The Pipe Tunes (4:56)
    34. Elton John - Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (11:07)
    35. Elton John - Grey Seal (4:00)
    36. Dick Dale & the Del-Tones - Misirlou (2:40)
    37. Shawn Colvin - Round Of Blues (4:45)
    38. Beth Nielsen Chapman - Life Holds On (4:42)
    39. Travis Tritt - Burning Love (3:34) Great version
    40. Dwight Yoakam - Suspicious Minds (3:51)
    41. Trevor Jones - Promentory (6:12) The Last of the Mohicans (1992 film)
    42. Trevor Jones - The Kiss (2:48) The Last of the Mohicans (1992 film)
    43. The Kennedys - Life Is Large (4:19)
    44. Leo Kottke - Hear The Wind Howl (2:39)
    45. Leo Kottke - Busted Bicycle (2:40) Self explanatory
    46. Nanci Griffith/The Crickets - Well...All Right (2:15)
    47. Delanie & Bonnie - Only You Know And I Know ( Live Version ) (4:42)
    48. Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath (4:22)
    49. California Guitar Trio - Classical Gas (2:55)
    50. The Subdudes - All The Time In The World (4:37)
    51. Berlin Philharmoniker - Track 15 (14:58)
    52. The Beatles - Good Day Sunshine (2:09)
    53. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire / Stevie Ray Vaughan (4:10)
    54. Russ Freeman - Sahara (5:01)
    55. Fleetwood Mac - Great Balls Of Fire (3:37)
    56. The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (6:24)
    57. John Philip Sousa - Hail To The Spirit Of Liberty (2:40)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    There is no finer music than the soft whirring of tires on pavement with the wind at your back. I'll record it and send it to you.
    Arguing about listening to an audio device or not is one of the great popcorn traditions on BF from my experience. A subscriber commented once about his listening experience sans audio device, saying if he wanted to experience the same thing without the hazards of cycling, he could just sit on the side of a busy highway.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-23-09 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    This took some time to get into text format but you decide what is worthy to put on your ipod. Started out as a 60 min. list that is now 4+ hours total. A mix of up tempo and some tunes to slow you down for several min mixed in...
    Hi oilman,

Thanks for your effort. In perusing your list, I saw about six or so bands that we both had on our lists, but no songs. I was particularly gratified to see that someone else had a John Phillip Sousa March. I have both fast and slow songs too, but I shuffle mine because I enjoy the surprise of what comes up next, and IMO, all are good for cycling on any route I take.

I'll bring your list with me next time I visit the I-Tune Store. I was hoping that this thread would become a resource for the musically inclined to share their tastes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi oilman,
    . I was particularly gratified to see that someone else had a John Phillip Sousa March. Is.
    Now, I just can't stay quiet here! I found many of Oilman's playlist selections that I like and will add to my own. I am interesting in checking out the song that he considers to be "the best riding song". However, the inclusion of a John Philip Sousa song in that list surprises, nay, astonishes me! Not so much that it is there, but that a JPS song is found in both forum posted playlists!!!!!
    I am no stranger to unusual riding music. For example, I have Carl Orb's "Oh Fortuna" on my own Ipod. Moreover, as I have told Mr. Boston previously, I find the music of Mr. Sousa uplifting and stirring. When my children were in marching band, I used to pray they would play a Sousa set instead of the intolerable "Salute to Billy Joel" we were forced to withstand. But I cannot imagine listening to Sousa while riding unless I had first woven red, white and blue crepe paper through the spokes of my wheels and attached miniature flags to my handlebars! We all have our own taste in music, but Sousa on the bike? Is their a sect of cycling fife enthusiasts that I am not aware of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Now, I just can't stay quiet here!... the inclusion of a John Philip Sousa song in that list surprises, nay, astonishes me! Not so much that it is there, but that a JPS song is found in both forum posted playlists!!!!!

...I cannot imagine listening to Sousa while riding unless I had first woven red, white and blue crepe paper through the spokes of my wheels and attached miniature flags to my handlebars! We all have our own taste in music, but Sousa on the bike? Is their a sect of cycling fife enthusiasts that I am not aware of?
    Actually the streamers and bunting don't add that much drag. "God Bless Vespucciland."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like to get a section on the I Pod of 80+ for the slopes round here. Only one for me and that is Status Quo. OK They are British- been around for years- Like me- but they play a type of Music I like. Just in case any of you are old enough to have enjoyed it- Quo were the group that open Live Aid in London in 85 and then caught Concord to play at live Aid in America. Medly of their Music below and This is typical of their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5Gi...eature=related

But plenty of John Lee Hooker- Plenty of other Blues- Bit of Queen And a bit of Classical.

Just why is it that when I hit the Steep bits does the 110 cadence come on.

But one you may not have heard is below- Quo with the Beachboys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwzWN...eature=related
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great list, oilman. Surprised you don't have one song from ELP.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the streamers and bunting don't add that much drag. "God Bless Vespucciland."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

But one you may not have heard is below- Quo with the Beachboys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwzWN...eature=related
    Ah, Stapfam, you are taking me back in time with this one! During my misspent youth, my parents were constantly revoking my car privileges for one reason or another. One of my girlfriends used to sing this song to me every time it happened! I'm going to have to buy this one! Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast