Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilly Hundred riders?

Anyone ride in the Hilly Hundred this past weekend? If so, what were your riding times? This was my first ride in the event.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been about 30 years but I still remember Mt. Tabor hill. It's not very long but it's 20%.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding times? How about glasses of cider drank? I stopped at all the SAGs, just to be polite. Averaged 12.something mph both days. Hit 41.5 on one downhill but failed to climb Mt. Tabor hill - first time I tried it on a recumbent. Conquered it two years ago on our tandem with my wife supplying the extra oomph.
    Mt. Tabor is far and away the worst of the Hilly Hills.
    Oh, and while I'm bragging, I failed to make it up The Wall in Morgan County a few weeks ago.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince868 View Post
    Anyone ride in the Hilly Hundred this past weekend? If so, what were your riding times? This was my first ride in the event.
    So we can Mock-Gloat or disbelieve you- What was your time?

Times on century rides are not important to me. I can do metrics in around 4 hours- hillier the ride- longer the time- but I am afraid that the extra milage up to 100 and I just take in the scenery and relax.

And Jan--Stokers do manage to bring in the Turbo power occasionally. Sounds like yours is fuel injected aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it. For Stapfam's and others' benefit, Hilly Hundred is 50 miles per day for two days, not a century ride. There is 4372 feet of climbing on Saturday and 4156 feet on Sunday, making for a 8528 vertical foot weekend. That's pretty hilly by midwest US standards. There are at least a half-dozen named hills of a half mile or more with grades of 11% or more, as well as lots of unnamed shorter but still steep hills.

I waited until 11:10 to leave on Saturday. Wasn't alone, either. On Sunday I left closer to 9:00. Roads were packed both days, which had an effect on my speeds. I made it up all the hills without walking, and even did Cemetery Hill in my middle ring - quite an accomplishment for a recumbent! I'll have to check my speedo, but my averages usually run in the mid-17s for both days.

Some pics posted to my Photobucket account. None of me, since I was on the wrong side of the camera!
    http://tinyurl.com/yg4r37a

Here's a pic of the bike I was riding:
    http://tinyurl.com/yflmgru
    Last edited by BlazingPedals; 10-28-09 at 01:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I waited until 11:10 to leave on Saturday. Wasn't alone, either. On Sunday I left closer to 9:00. Roads were packed both days, which had an effect on my speeds. I made it up all the hills without walking, and even did Cemetery Hill in my middle ring - quite an accomplishment for a recumbent! I'll have to check my speedo, but my averages usually run in the mid-17s for both days.
    I left quite a bit earlier both days. You may have passed me.

Why don't you just save a little weight and remove that small chainring?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    failed to climb Mt. Tabor hill
    The first time I rode the Hilly I was both underconditioned and under geared. When I started up Mt Tabor I had, by far, the worst leg cramp experience of my life. Both legs simply locked up and wouldn't bend in either direction. Naturally I fell over. A fellow stopped, got off of his bike in the middle of the hill and walked me around for a couple of minutes. When it looked like I would be able to walk up the hill he got back on his bike, clipped in (this was prior to clipless pedals) and resumed pedaling straight up the 20% hill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    The first time I rode the Hilly I was both underconditioned and under geared. When I started up Mt Tabor I had, by far, the worst leg cramp experience of my life. Both legs simply locked up and wouldn't bend in either direction. Naturally I fell over. A fellow stopped, got off of his bike in the middle of the hill and walked me around for a couple of minutes. When it looked like I would be able to walk up the hill he got back on his bike, clipped in (this was prior to clipless pedals) and resumed pedaling straight up the 20% hill.
    A couple of years ago I saw a guy go up and down that hill at least a couple of times pulling a youngster in a trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My driveway is 21%.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    My driveway is 21%.
    I'm glad I don't have to plow your driveway in the winter - or drive down it when it's icy and try to stop at the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I don't have to plow your driveway in the winter - or drive down it when it's icy and try to stop at the bottom.
    I did slide off it once last year. We usually leave the trucks down at the bottom in the field if it is going to snow. I have shoveled as much as a foot of snow off it but in recent years we haven't had much snow at all. It's good exercise and I don't mind doing it but the driveway is 400ft long and heavy snow takes some time to clear.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I got a shot of the elusive BlazingPedals in Morgan-Monroe State Forest. I would have made better time if I hadn't stopped for so many photo opportunities.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's me! That must have been sometime early Sunday?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday. I think that is just after the climb up into the Forest, a mile or so before the T intersection/left turn at the Main Forest Road.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing a hiily ride over two days makes sense- but when do you get the recovery ride in after the first day?

Multiple days rides are not for me. Climbing on a bike the second day with the aching muscles and butt do not agree with me. I have done a few but I do not like that second day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No aching butt after riding a 'bent but I will confess to muscle soreness after the Hilly.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My legs were rarin' to go on Sunday. After all, Saturday is only 4372 feet of climbing! I was a little sore on Monday, but that was only because I didn't eat soon enough after the ride.

You got a larger version of that? It'd make a great wallpaper for the office computer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large enough? I can do bigger.
    The image isn't real sharp because of your blazing speed.

Where do you hang panniers on that bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about bents but that riding position in the above picture looks very uncomfortable to me. It certainly looks like it would be less than ideal when climbing a decent grade.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I don't know anything about bents but that riding position in the above picture looks very uncomfortable to me. It certainly looks like it would be less than ideal when climbing a decent grade.
    When you watch TV at home, would you rather to lie back in a recliner with a pillow behind your head, or is your preference to perch on a 5-square-inch triangle of leather, leaning forward to put half your weight on your hands? I'm cradled in a form-fitting chair with a neck rest to hold my head up for me. There's no weight on my hands. I don't understand how anybody can for even a half-second think the position is uncomfortable.

It's true I can't stand on steep hills, but I get by.

Thanks JanMM. That size was fine!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you watch TV at home, would you rather to lie back in a recliner with a pillow behind your head, or is your preference to perch on a 5-square-inch triangle of leather, leaning forward to put half your weight on your hands? I'm cradled in a form-fitting chair with a neck rest to hold my head up for me. There's no weight on my hands. I don't understand how anybody can for even a half-second think the position is uncomfortable.
    Same caveat as BikeWNC gave, I have no idea how it actually feels to ride a recumbent. The position above looks a bit more extreme than the 'bents I have seen on rides. I don't lean that far back in my recliner. I imagine it is very aerodynamic. Does the blood rush to your head on a steep climb?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true I can't stand on steep hills, but I get by.

Thanks JanMM. That size was fine!
    I didn't see the neck rest but nevertheless it seems like a very reclined position even for a bent. I bet on the flat it is very fast though. Maybe someday I'll need to be in a bent to ride but for now I'm happy with my diamond frame bike. Besides, where I live a bent would be extremely challenging to ride. I have never seen one in my area.

edit. BTW, when I watch tv, I'm usually curled up in the fetal position. Anyway that's how I watch the Giants game today. LOL.