Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross-training 50+++ discussion group???

Cross-training 50+++ discussion group???

I'm interested in somehow forming a discussion group where the focus is on folks who want to do a more comprehensive fitness regime - perhaps aimed at folks 60+ or so - I don't know, just a thought.

It would emphasize

A variety of cardio training activities
    Different strength training/resistance training stuff
    Flexibility and stretching
    Nutrition
    Body composition
    Motivation
    Concerns and problems associated with the above and aging a bit

Currently, I am into swimming, bicycling, weight lifting, walking and resistance exercises, specific prescribed exercises for my new problems with my SI joint, stretching. I try some with nutrition, and my body composition could use some rebalancing.

I mentioned 60+ because I think 60 or perhaps 65 is when some of this stuff becomes more challenging and problems occur that aren't there at 50.

I do not want the typical senior low-level "Silver Sneakers" approach - I want to go far beyond that. I also want to avoid, if possible, the senior "star" who excels in just one activity to the exclusion of others.

I was recently told in a gym - "Denver Fox - he is the one who exercises so vigorously that he puts all the rest of us to shame."

I was thinking of a Facebook group or whatever.

Well, I have spilled the beans.

Any reactions and thoughts?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-04-09 at 12:25 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested, but I'm too young.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    LOL

I bet that is the first time in a long time that someone told you that you were "too young!"

Of course, anyone would be encouraged to join, but the recruiting emphasis would be on 60 - 65+, I would guess.

However, given only one response so far, I may be having a very small group!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess I have my answer.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's late, but I would be very interested. I'm into cycling, resistance training and walking at the present time. I also try to watch the nutrition pretty closely, but I could do much better with more variety.
    Don't give up on the idea yet!

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    DnvrFox! SurlyGirly is to young.Im also to young soooo Im hopeing that you [being senior will explain the idea of starting cross training in our formitable years/Kenneth

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested but I only do miles.

Where you:

"Denver Fox - he is the one who exercises so vigorously that he puts all the rest of us to shame."
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im very interested in general fitness but it comes from the work that ive done all my life that required being fit /In short im here if you think ive anything to offer./Kenneth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly 60, so I might qualify, except that I'm a monoathlete and always have been. Owned one pair of running shoes once, might have run a cumulative lifetime total of 10 miles. I stretch when I yawn. Riding and racing track and road bikes since 1964; never felt the need to stray from this sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must have been a different Denver Fox I invited to be a Friend on Facebook. Haven't gotten a response yet.

Anyway, my two big hobbies are Cycling and Scuba Diving. Don't really know how to swim very well and I have had a numb knee for months now that prevents running or walking very far. The knee is having some "consults" next week so maye I can start some of my old activity after they determine what is causing the problem.

I'm always Up for more info on what is profitable and what is not. Most of what is in the community is aimed at just getting "old folks" to do any exercise at all. A sad commentary on both the culture and the people.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    It must have been a different Denver Fox I invited to be a Friend on Facebook. Haven't gotten a response yet.

Anyway, my two big hobbies are Cycling and Scuba Diving. Don't really know how to swim very well and I have had a numb knee for months now that prevents running or walking very far. The knee is having some "consults" next week so maye I can start some of my old activity after they determine what is causing the problem.

I'm always Up for more info on what is profitable and what is not. Most of what is in the community is aimed at just getting "old folks" to do any exercise at all. A sad commentary on both the culture and the people.

Amazingly, there ARE two Denver Fox's on Facebook, and folks do get us confused.

My Bikes
    Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually advocate the elliptical cross trainer/cycling/walking approach to staying fit.
    I recommend using the cross training facilities when cycling outside is not possible or a bit harsh.
    I also recommend the cross trainer/cycling in preference to running because they are less severe on the body.
    The reason I use my facilities at home is because in UK terms I'm a few miles away from sporting facilities [in US/Oz terms I'm just down the road from them].

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukmtk View Post
    I actually advocate the elliptical cross trainer/cycling/walking approach to staying fit.
    I recommend using the cross training facilities when cycling outside is not possible or a bit harsh.
    I also recommend the cross trainer/cycling in preference to running because they are less severe on the body.
    The reason I use my facilities at home is because in UK terms I'm a few miles away from sporting facilities [in US/Oz terms I'm just down the road from them].
    Likely some language differences here. By cross-training, I mean doing a variety of different exercises to fully keep the body in shape - resistance training, swimming, kettle balls or whatever. I do not mean a specific type of machine.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bike about 50 - 100 miles a week. I do resistance training workouts 3 times/week, one day a week with a trainer. I make it an absolute rule to do a minimum of 20 minutes cardio per day and have missed only two days in the last year and a half. Most days it is much, much more than twenty minutes, but I chose that amount because it gets you started and to the point where you want to do more.
    When I am not riding one of my bikes, sometimes I walk long distance for cardio, sometimes the tread mill or elliptical at the gym, sometimes I use the rowing machine at my shop at home.

When I decided to take better care of myself about 1 1/4 years ago I also changed my diet: Little red meat, no more whole milk, good breakfast, lots of fish and Omega 3 acids etc. etc. I lost about 40 pounds, my LDL level went WAY down and I am overall more fit than when I was 50. I am now 63.

So that's MY comprehensive plan.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested. I've haven't been injured, except for needing orthodics to run with, over 30 years. Then last year I developed platar fascitiis and achiles tendonitis. A PT showed me how out of alignment by body is and how poor my balance is. A lot of that is doing nothing but running for 20 years. That got me back in swimming and stretching. I'm trying now to get back that balance and rid myself of the other problems.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Gios Compact Pro , Gios fixed gear, Pedal Force RS2, Fuji single speed, Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale CAAD5.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to get in at least an hour a day of aerobics. Usually in the winter it is an hour on an elliptical/stationary bike [schwinn aerodyne or a semi recumbent]/treadmill or a combo of the three. 3 or 4 days I do a five set core and arm circuit thing: 1.pull-ups and dips on an assisted machine [I am doing 6 reps with a 40 lb assist]; 2. 10 back extension sit-ups and 10 roman chair back extensions; 3. 25 inflated ball situps; 4. 25 twists standing with a bar behind my neck; and 5. 10 push-ups. 2 days I'll do a leg thing - 5 set circuit each of 1. lunges - 10- w/ light weights (sometimes I pyramid the wts 10-12-15-12-10); 2. deadlifts, not heavy; 3. half hacksquats not heavy [barbell between legs one hand in front one hand in back holding the barbell); 4. sitting on an inflated ball situps; 5. twists and 6. push-ups. I ride a bike as much as weather allows. Try to swim at least two days a week for a half hour to an hour alternating strokes (works out to be half mile to a mile) I try to do longer bike rides on the weekends. I'll just swim tonight and hope I get home in time to watch most of the world series. So I have been doing a variation or so of this routine for about 3 or 4 weeks and enjoy it. I belong to a gym that is also a rehab facility for a local hospital. not taking any chances! I turned 66 on 11/2/2009.
    Last edited by RoyIII; 11-04-09 at 03:32 PM. Reason: age added

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLEASE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

Please do not go there and post how much you don't want to do cross-training.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    PLEASE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

Please do not go there and post how much you don't want to do cross-training.

OK, I'll admit ignorance. How do you find and join the group?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I hope you don't mind, I invited 3 of my Facebook friends (2 of whom are 60+, the 3rd a few years older than I) who are members of my bike group. Two of them are relatively recent members and have become very serious riders while losing weight, changing what they eat, and getting serious about fitness in general.
    Last edited by Yen; 11-04-09 at 07:34 PM.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to have a group here, I am in,,, sounds very interesting, and something I am looking for info on...66(for another couple weeks), and holding...
    Bud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    If you decide to have a group here, I am in,,, sounds very interesting, and something I am looking for info on...66(for another couple weeks), and holding...
    Bud
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?fil...2167843&ref=mf

No group "here."

Instead a Facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?fil...2167843&ref=mf

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highlight of my MTB career is when a teenager gushed, Hey Mr.Y, I have never seen anyone as old as you ride so aggressively.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Amazingly, there ARE two Denver Fox's on Facebook, and folks do get us confused.
    OK, guess I picked the wrong one. Just go to my page and add yourself. Then I'll reciprocate.

I tried that this morning and did't find anything. Just now tried again and it worked fine. I'm new so this is just part of the learning curve I'm sure
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 11-04-09 at 09:54 PM.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast