Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Chain guards???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain guards???

Looking for some help here. As I indicated in an earlier post this week, I've just recently started to commute by bike again. The first five trips in and out of work have been encouraging. However, I'm having some issues with keeping my pants free of chain crud. I'm using a leg band to keep the pants away from the chain; yet on two days I've still ended up with chain marks. I did a quick Internet search to see if I could get a chain guard to put on my Cannondale 800T. What I came up with was SKS has one that will work with a chain ring as large as 46T. I'm currently running a 50x48X24 triple. Hence, I suspect it won't work. Any thoughts about other options? (BTW, wearing cycling specific clothes won't work. I'm expected to walk through the front door already meeting the dress code - casual professional).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one at Veolo Orange is rated for 48 teeth, but they claim it will work with a 50.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go in the back door.
    Try to sell you company that by riding to work, it is making them more "Green"or "sustainable", two big buzz word these days. And for you to continue to make them look good, you need to use the proper gear for cycling, like specific clothing.
    Is there a local "alternate transportation" organization in your parts, they may be able to help you sell it that way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big problem is going to be finding a guard that works with a front derailer. This Simplex does, but it only works with a Simplex Prestige FD. The Prestige probably won't handle a triple. It barely handles a double.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution was to buy a new bike with a chainguard built in. Any of the European commuter bikes will have one and also provide lights, fenders, and a riding position more compatible with normal clothing. Best of all, a new bike will conform to the N+1 principle and ensure that you will always have a backup bike if your main bike is unavailablle.

Paul

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought...perhaps you could take an old pair of leg warmers and cut them off at the knee...stay with me here...then use the larger portion to pull over your pants. Just pull the cut-off leg warmers up to the knee.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metric Man, that sounds like a pretty good idea!

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking a couple strips of duct tape until Metric Man's suggestion.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you could look on a vintage miltary surplus/re-enactors' equipment site for gaiters.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one was designed for a trike, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on any bike

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...ory=1231971527
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also have business casual code. My solution is to either pull socks over the top and pull down afterwards, or in cold weather just throw on a pair of goretex slip over pants. Has worked well for many years.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
    Also have business casual code. My solution is to either pull socks over the top and pull down afterwards, or in cold weather just throw on a pair of goretex slip over pants. Has worked well for many years.
    That's a good point -- we are approaching the time of the year when my Gortex overpants are worn every day just to keep warm and dry. You will have until Spring to find a long-term solution.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I'm expected to walk through the front door already meeting the dress code - casual professional).
    Overpants or leg warmers, as suggested...but I gotta say that I really, really, really hate these moronic company rules. To me they are a sign of a company that just plain isn't worth working for. I'm sorry you gotta tolerate that kind of BS, especially at our advanced age.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    Overpants or leg warmers, as suggested...but I gotta say that I really, really, really hate these moronic company rules. To me they are a sign of a company that just plain isn't worth working for. I'm sorry you gotta tolerate that kind of BS, especially at our advanced age.
    Yes, I have to agree. There's this word that gets thrown around a lot: "professional," as in "look professional." What does it mean? This is total corporate BS and one big reason why I really dislike corporate culture. Where I work (public sector accounting/auditing), they have a bike room near the loading docks, but no change room in that area, so I just take the elevator up to the 8th floor dressed in my cycling gear (but with a change of shoes, that I keep in the bike room). I then use the shower and change in the facilities we have on our floor. I think this is the absolute minimum that a company should provide. Considering what cyclists do to reduce traffic congestion and mitigate pollution - small in terms of an individual, but potentially quite large if enough people did it - companies should be bending over backwards to accommodate cycling, and motorists should be on their knees thanking us for reducing the number of cars in their way.

Luis

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Human tranlation "look professional" means "we won't pay you more, so wear nicer clothes"
    Hi 'o Silver away