Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An old broad with a big decision...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here's my stats..... late 40s female but in pretty darn good shape (sadly, running is over for me) . I've been using my husband's mountain bike and can put 30 miles in for fun and I love the workout. But I'm just starting my homework to purchase my own bike. I am looking to do long distance (30-80 miles a day), charity rides, group rides, etc. Not a racer by any stretch, but I don't want to be left in the dust either. Am I asking for too much looking for a lightweight hybrid/touring that is comparable to a decent road bike? This bike I hope will take me well into my 50's and I like the idea of stability and comfort from the hybrid. But everyone's telling me that if I plan to do that many miles I should have a road bike. Isn't there something out there that has it all?
Old 11-20-09, 09:25 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Where do you ride and what bike is your husbands bike?
Thanks.

Old 11-20-09, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Cal and his bike is a Giant bike (in all respects 8)
Old 11-20-09, 09:31 AM
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by alleycatmag
So Cal and his bike is a Giant bike (in all respects 8)
Nice place to ride, Was there in August.
A road bike will have better gearing and will take less effort to ride long distances.

Old 11-20-09, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hot place to be in August, but glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the input! I think I'll train on the mountain bike (more effort/better workout) and ultimately purchase a road bike. I'm guessing that's probably the best way to go. Thanks so much! P.S. Nice picture and a great smile... you look like you really enjoy life as I do!
Old 11-20-09, 09:40 AM
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by alleycatmag
A hot place to be in August, but glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the input! I think I'll train on the mountain bike (more effort/better workout) and ultimately purchase a road bike. I'm guessing that's probably the best way to go. Thanks so much! P.S. Nice picture and a great smile... you look like you really enjoy life as I do!
It is fun. Rode along the CA coast for three days.

Old 11-20-09, 09:43 AM
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like this thread is also in GCD forum as well.
Here's a copy of my reply I added to the one over there:
I've known a few people who began on mtn/hybrid bikes and soft/cushioned saddlesfor distances <= 31 miles. (50K)
However, as they began to train/ride (and ejoye it) more and increase their distance as well as ride with others, they transitioned over to road bikes w/harder saddles. I feel the more your ride you will increase stability and comfort as well as pick up technique from other riders. YMMV...or, hey, why not get one of each type?

If you can afford it, a good bike fit at an LBS will certainly help as well.
Old 11-20-09, 09:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to tell you, you're the first person I've ever "chatted" with! Or are we blogging? I'm a bit computer challenged. Hope I'm doing it right. But thanks for the photo. Looks like it was wonderful!
Old 11-20-09, 09:47 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
A road bike is a bit better simply because on a mountain bike your hands are frozen in one position the whole time you ride, which causes fatigue, while on a road bike with drop bars, you can shift them around a bit.

You can set the road bike up for comfort and to accomodate your advanced age (ha ha, I'm a decade older than you), by ensuring the vendor doesn't cut the steering tube too short. The handlebars should be at the same height as the seat. Younger riders and especially racers, set the handlebars much lower than the seat, for aerodynamics, but that's not as appropriate for our demographic.

Last edited by cooker; 11-20-09 at 09:49 AM. Reason: tidying up
Old 11-20-09, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's the ticket. The more I study, the more I realize I'm road bike destined. I rode on a friend's road bike just around the block and it was like butter! So smooth!
Old 11-20-09, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! No aerodynamics for me. just want to enjoy the ride and keep up with the group. Maybe that's the ticket-- picking the right group! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-20-09, 09:55 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're fit, flexible and you like a good workout. You have just described the type of person a road bike was made for. You might want to look for a bike with a slightly relaxed geometry which usually means a slightly taller head tube. Depending on your body proportions, a women's specific design (WSD) might also suit you. That usually means a slightly shorter top tube. Spend as much as you can afford. As long as it's not going to be a knockabout errand bike, think all carbon. Then, post a picture of that big silly smile you'll have on your face after your first ride.

Or buy a hybrid, because then you'll end up buying a road bike 6 months later and then you'll have two bikes and will have helped stimulate the economy
Old 11-20-09, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds as if your next step is to choose two or three excellent or at least good local bike shops and begin the process of conversation and test rides. I suggest you be at least as selective in choosing shops as the bike itself. Ask around. Trust your instincts when you visit. When you find a bike that seems right, do at least an hour of test riding.

Your goal of finding a bike to take you well into your 50's is a steep one. You might compromise on finding a bike that will hook you on cycling and provide an experience base for choosing the next one.
Old 11-20-09, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 55 yr old woman, and I started on a mountain bike about 4 years ago, and the stability was a big factor for me. I rode it about a year then got a Scott Contessa road bike, it was very comfortable right away. I sold the mtn bike and then bought a Specialized TriCross about a year ago, it is a nice combination of stability and still rolls easier than the mtn bike. I love my Scott and ride it alot, but also love my Specialized, especially during the winter when there is gravel on the shoulders, and it also lets be ride the non paved roads. Mostly though I would say that it is an illusion that the road bikes are not stable or comfortable, they very much are! Have fun with whatever you get!
Old 11-20-09, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great answer Cone Wrench! I keep hearing the same thing. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 11-20-09, 10:05 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I like my Cervelo RS with the taller head tube but still a very good bike. Good enough for the Cervelo team to use it on the Paris Roubaix cobblestone race. The longer wheelbase compared to the Cervelo R3 will give you a bit more feeling of stability. The curved seat stays will give you a softer ride for those long distance rides.

Test ride this and the Specialized Roubaix which also has a taller head tube.
Old 11-20-09, 10:06 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I say get a good hybrid and two wheelsets. Get one for skinny Roadie tires and then regular hybrid tires. Give Hubby his MTB back. The hybrid should let you try a few trails with the old guy. The skinny tires will let you get a taste for the Roadie situation. If you can put up with the guys whistling at you in those spandex suits that Roadies wear, well, that's your call. I prefer hitting the dusty trail. There are a lot of good MTB competitions for women. You might like the Fat Tire Fraternity. You can be the new 40 y.o. princess of the cyclocross world.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-20-09, 10:07 AM
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget to factor in accessories: helmet, seat bag, water bottle cages, spare tube(s), patch kit, multi tool, mini bike pump
or CO2 pump+cartridges, cyclocpmuter, & rear blinkie light. Possibly clipless pedals and bike shoes w/cleats.
Old 11-20-09, 10:35 AM
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"old broad"?? Isnt 40 the new 30???

Your situation is not a lot different than mine was when I started riding again (late, late 40's except old guy and was in bad shape).

A road bike is not am absolute necessity to do >40 miles a day. My everyday bike is a MTB (w/commuter tires) that I ride 40+ miles almost every day with 50-60 mile rides not uncommon. The fat tires give a smooth, comfortable ride and the heavier bike provides more of a workout than a hybrid or road bike. It is not fun riding it up steep hills, but again it is a workout (and justifies pie or ice cream for desert!).

It took about 2 years to get into shape and graduate to things like bike shoes and smoother commuter tires, but at this point I dont have any trouble keeping up with or out riding 30- and even 20-somethings on hybrids who you would think should blow by a geezer.

That said, on days I am feeling my age, want an easier ride or want to ride a really long distance I have a hybrid. It goes faster, but is so light you really have to ride farther or faster or do more hills to burn the same number of calories (even with the fattest tires I can find). I ride MUPs a lot and it is not always safe or practical to go faster with the peds, kids, dogs and joggers on the left side of the road, so for a basic ride the MTB works better for me. I try to do 2 or 3 centuries (100 mile rides) each summer, and those are all on the hybrid (though in August, I did do a 94 mile ride on a new MTB). I can do more miles in less time on the hybrid, but burn fewer calories and get a easier workout - but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

If you are going to do a lot of group rides, and they ride fast, you might need a hybrid or road bike to keep up... Depends on whether you want to focus more on fitness/getting a work out or the social aspect. I declined group rides at first because the profile was "medium 17-20 mph" which was outside my ability. Today, I come across that group all the time when I am running errands and easily pass them and their fru-fru bikes while laden down with groceries and library books. (They obviously dont ride as fast as they say, and are more into chatting etc as they ride).

A good hybrid is probably makes the most sense. Good for distance, touring, commuting, rec riding and very do-able on group rides that are more about socializing vs training. I am partial to Trek and the 7.3FX or 7.5FX are pretty nice and Giant has equivalents.

Allow that some of the "you really need a road bike" advise comes from roadies with a particular mindset in which that phrase can really mean "you really need a road bike...to be cool". Me, I am not training for anything, am as cool as I am going to be and ride to have fun, save gas, get outside and get a workout.
Old 11-20-09, 10:42 AM
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
A road bike is a bit better simply because on a mountain bike your hands are frozen in one position the whole time you ride, which causes fatigue, while on a road bike with drop bars, you can shift them around a bit.
Unless you put bar ends on the MTB, then you have 3 or more positions: the top which allows you to stretch out your back a bit; the sides which aids climbs a great deal and the basic bar grips.
Old 11-20-09, 10:55 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Coolness is not an issue. Unless you have a problem with riding a drop bar road bike, it is the fastest, most efficient, most comfortable and most fun way to cover long miles on a bicycle. This is especially true for someone with an athletic background.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 11-21-09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-20-09, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
A properly fit and properly equipped road bike will do anything you are going to ask of it with comfort and speed. You just have to shop around and learn as much as you can. BTW, if you're near the San Fernando Valley you can ride with our club, ,the SFVBC. Also, the lady on the right in this photo is 58 and she can climb anything.
Old 11-20-09, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I'd recommend looking into a "TOURING" road bicycle, something like a Surly LHT (Long Haul Trucker), or a Kona Surtra, these bikes are made for comfort and serious long miles in the saddle. If you want to do fast pace club riding then their not what you want but seems to me your looking at "distance" rather than "speed". Most of the major brands have a "touring" bike, ride a bunch of em and then decide, jmho. YMMV.

Old 11-20-09, 11:27 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A properly fit and properly equipped road bike will do anything you are going to ask of it with comfort and speed. You just have to shop around and learn as much as you can. BTW, if you're near the San Fernando Valley you can ride with our club, ,the SFVBC. Also, the lady on the right in this photo is 58 and she can climb anything.
+1 Here is a picture of my wife (59) going up the 20% wall at the finish of the Mount Diablo Hill Climb race on her Orbea Orca.

Old 11-20-09, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
BTW, if you're near the San Fernando Valley you can ride with our club, ,the SFVBC.
The rides look good. I may have to join you guys sometime soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.