Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Use it or loose it!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Use it or loose it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 11:13 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Use it or loose it!

My wife and I have been pretty regular on our tandem (3-4 times/week) with a few centuries and 100K's thrown in. Working at home does have its advantages. This past week I needed to travel and spent four days eating, sleeping and working; went for an easy 15 mile ride the day back and it felt like I hadn't been on a bike in 3 months, sore during and afterwards. When you're over 60 the "regular" in "regular exercise" has extra meaning.
Old 11-22-09, 10:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So what were the 4 days of sleeping and eating doing in the week? Work I can just about understand. Just save your energy up till spring like some of us will have to and then see how you feel

Spike Milligan
Old 11-22-09, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
stapfam,
We don't get to hibernate in California of the USA. I grew on on the East Coast and understand hibernation (no lawn mowing, no serious bicycling, ...), but it's an alien concept here. One of the local cycling clubs runs 150 rides/month during the warmer months and not much fewer during the winter. Of course we do get the occassional rainout and the retired folk can ride later in the morning.
Old 11-22-09, 03:38 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have to admit that most years and I will be out in all weathers. Bit of rain- bit of wind or near freezing temps and a ride is on. But this autumnhas been a lot of rain- lots of high wind and often both at once. Haven't had the joys of the cold yet and that is unusual.

Just hate to say it but I am turning into a wimp.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-22-09, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan, Giant Roam, Pace 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to be the resident spelling Nazi but on every forum I frequent, almost no one knows the difference between lose and loose. When did this happen?

Loose: Not tight, lots of play, of low moral standards. As in, my bike is making noise because my BB is loose.

Lose: The opposite of win, misplace, get rid of. As in, If I keep seeing these two words misused I will lose my mind.
Old 11-22-09, 05:44 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too spent last week in a hotel conference room with no windows. I was tucked away for 4 days with nothing but cookies and heavy meals. I did skip breakfeast and ate a lite lunch to try to compensate but I could not lay off the cookies...
When I got home it was raining but was able to ride yesterday and today. Yesterdays ride was good, I did about 3 hours of yard work and then went out - although I did not have my instruments I felt as if I was keeping a strong pace. I rode today as well - but that was after cleaning out the gutters and raking more leaves. I was a bit tired today - good ride, not as strong but between the two days I covered 50 miles. I'll ride again at 6AM tomorrow.

No I won't mention what I have lost even though I used it every chance i could get...
Old 11-22-09, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did the hotel not have a gym?
Old 11-22-09, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I too spent last week in a hotel conference room with no windows. I was tucked away for 4 days with nothing but cookies and heavy meals. I did skip breakfeast and ate a lite lunch to try to compensate but I could not lay off the cookies...
I was at a conference in June at a resort right across the bridge from Sanibel Island. Attendance was mandatory (state was paying, and you've got to keep the taxpayers happy) from 8:30 to 4:00. The meals were fatty (lots of sauces) and they served a big mid-afternoon snack (Key lime pie, etc). I brought my bike and went riding before each morning's session, and one long ride one day after the conference. The eating and inactivity of the huge majority of participants was scary.

This was a judges' conference. Judging is an extraordinarily sedentary job. In most desk jobs you can stand up and walk around every now and then. I sit first thing in the morning and get up at lunch, and after lunch I sit until we are done, usually between 4 and 5. Cycling is a life-saver in more ways than one.
Old 11-22-09, 07:24 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Did the hotel not have a gym?
In the Hotel I was in there was an exercise room. I should have brought some gear but right now I am mentally not ready to start working out inside - that starts in December when the snow comes. Anyway - these conferences are usually so mentally draining that I have no energy to work out. This one was an exception - I did other work most of the time.
Old 11-23-09, 08:47 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have to admit that most years and I will be out in all weathers. Bit of rain- bit of wind or near freezing temps and a ride is on. But this autumnhas been a lot of rain- lots of high wind and often both at once. Haven't had the joys of the cold yet and that is unusual.

Just hate to say it but I am turning into a wimp.
goodness with all the flooding we're hearing about in England? you should be happy to be able to ride without a snorkel. hope things are ok for your area.
Old 11-23-09, 01:53 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rwortman
I hate to be the resident spelling Nazi but on every forum I frequent, almost no one knows the difference between lose and loose. When did this happen?

Loose: Not tight, lots of play, of low moral standards. As in, my bike is making noise because my BB is loose.

Lose: The opposite of win, misplace, get rid of. As in, If I keep seeing these two words misused I will lose my mind.

Better loose (sic) the mind as there will be bigger problems than Spelling on this forum

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-09, 01:59 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegeek57
goodness with all the flooding we're hearing about in England? you should be happy to be able to ride without a snorkel. hope things are ok for your area.
Seems every year there is some part of the UK that floods so it is not an unusual occurence. Problem is that floods are now occuring where they never used to. Won't go into it but cover the Flood Plains with concrete and houses and that water has to go somewhere.

And Rain----Only 1" tday in the south east where I live- Would have been ridable but not in the 40mph breeze that was also there. Next 5 days and rain expected every day- Wind might drop below 25mph by Friday but the weekend is still to come.

Spike Milligan