Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Birthday Story

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Birthday Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Birthday Story

Up front disclaimer: The Post New Thread font is so small I can barely see it and the Preview Post function isn't working, nor is the spell check. So, editorial errors are probably par for the course.
=============================================================================
What a wonderful number 73 for me and what a difference a year makes.

Last year we celebrated my birthday at Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. It is a first class restaurant. Food is excellent, presentation is superb and the servers are well trained and have excellent attitudes. Then I did my longest ride as of then; 31 miles on the Platte River Trail. After which I was bushed.

This year we again celebrated at the Flagstaff House. Again the food and service were without flaw. I have never had lamb prepared any better. The restaurant has my unreserved recommendation.

Since Saturday was The Day I decided to do a ride. I had it on good authority that the paths had been plowed so I took off. Not too far down the trail I ran into snow on top of ice and down I went. A few scrapes but no real damage. So, I walked my bike for awhile. The long and short is that I did about 20 miles around a local resevoir before it got dark. When the sun went behind the mountains chill rapidly followed.

Yesterday, Sunday, it was again afternoon before temperatures got above the +40F mark so I could ride. That left me with only about 3 1/2 hours before dark. As my friend Denver Fox will testify I am far from the worlds fastest cyclist and here in the Denver area I am riding at about 5000' higher elevation than at home. So, with only 3 days to acclimate it was highly unlikely I'd "ride my age". Maybe adjusted for altitude?

As it turned out I rode the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails in Denver. A greybeard I talked to told me that was upwards of 55 miles for the roundtrip. I stopped along the way to admire Confluence Park and to visit a bit. I got back to my start just as it was getting dark. That is my longest ride to date at any altitude. What was nice was that unlike being bushed as I was last year I still had lots left in me. I stopped because of darkness, not fatigue.

The only downside is that Denver Fox was unable to join me for at least a part of the ride. But, I'll be back and he'll be healthier so there is time.

All in all a very nice day at an age by all rights I shouldn't have achieved. May all of you be as blessed as me and get far more than you deserve.
Old 11-23-09, 07:43 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations on the birthday ride.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-23-09, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are to be congratulated on your ride and your birthday.Hope you have more too come.
Old 11-23-09, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Happy Birthday indeed. We can't be held accountable for winter weather so I will pick up some extra miles on your behalf. Consider it a gift! You have great spirit L65! Have a piece of pie!
Old 11-23-09, 08:17 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great post! Thanks for the update, and happy birthday.
Old 11-23-09, 09:27 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Happy birthday, and congrats on the birthday ride. Perhaps you should petition the mods (or whoever) to officially move your birthday to something like August
Old 11-23-09, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds like you're not getting older...you're getting younger.

Happy Birthday!
Old 11-23-09, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Happy Birthday! Thanks for the b-day story.
Old 11-24-09, 04:02 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lat,

Nice report and great ride! Belated Happy Birthday!!!!!
Old 11-24-09, 09:23 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Happy Birthday.

When I visited the Front Range last year I liked the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails. I rode several others too, but like those the best. Confluence Park is a great place to people-watch on a summer afternoon. I suppose it's a bit different in November.
Old 11-24-09, 09:49 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65
Up front disclaimer: The Post New Thread font is so small I can barely see it and the Preview Post function isn't working, nor is the spell check. So, editorial errors are probably par for the course.
=============================================================================
What a wonderful number 73 for me and what a difference a year makes.

Last year we celebrated my birthday at Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. It is a first class restaurant. Food is excellent, presentation is superb and the servers are well trained and have excellent attitudes. Then I did my longest ride as of then; 31 miles on the Platte River Trail. After which I was bushed.

This year we again celebrated at the Flagstaff House. Again the food and service were without flaw. I have never had lamb prepared any better. The restaurant has my unreserved recommendation.

Since Saturday was The Day I decided to do a ride. I had it on good authority that the paths had been plowed so I took off. Not too far down the trail I ran into snow on top of ice and down I went. A few scrapes but no real damage. So, I walked my bike for awhile. The long and short is that I did about 20 miles around a local resevoir before it got dark. When the sun went behind the mountains chill rapidly followed.

Yesterday, Sunday, it was again afternoon before temperatures got above the +40F mark so I could ride. That left me with only about 3 1/2 hours before dark. As my friend Denver Fox will testify I am far from the worlds fastest cyclist and here in the Denver area I am riding at about 5000' higher elevation than at home. So, with only 3 days to acclimate it was highly unlikely I'd "ride my age". Maybe adjusted for altitude?

As it turned out I rode the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails in Denver. A greybeard I talked to told me that was upwards of 55 miles for the roundtrip. I stopped along the way to admire Confluence Park and to visit a bit. I got back to my start just as it was getting dark. That is my longest ride to date at any altitude. What was nice was that unlike being bushed as I was last year I still had lots left in me. I stopped because of darkness, not fatigue.

The only downside is that Denver Fox was unable to join me for at least a part of the ride. But, I'll be back and he'll be healthier so there is time.

All in all a very nice day at an age by all rights I shouldn't have achieved. May all of you be as blessed as me and get far more than you deserve.
I had to squirt around my cataracts, b ut enjoyed reading your post. Happy birthday and congratulations. Very enjoyable and well written read. Thanks

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-24-09, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
You had me at "the paths had been plowed", yikes!
Happy Birthday, and many many more miles.

Enjoy the Ride.
Old 11-24-09, 10:02 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I always enjoy stories that have a happy ending!!
Old 11-24-09, 12:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

I probably should add that the reason this year was better than last is because last year was the first year of riding a road bike. Of course as a kid I'd ridden around a bit and over the years had kicked around the neighborhood a wee bit. But, no "serious" cycling or the road bike kind of thing until last summer. Since then I've done my best to ride either the bike or a spin bike several times a week. It seems this bike riding thing has been good for me. So much so I've bought a road bike I leave here in the Denver area for my visits. Maybe next time I can meet and ride with some more of you.
Old 11-24-09, 12:20 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Glad you had a good Birthday Ride!! I can relate, last Wed's. I was riding thru several slush patches on the paths and roads and caught a patch that turned to ICE and down I went, no FUN! Glad you were ok, hope I can get to ride with you next time your down our way again!

Old 11-24-09, 07:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Glad you had a good Birthday Ride!! I can relate, last Wed's. I was riding thru several slush patches on the paths and roads and caught a patch that turned to ICE and down I went, no FUN! Glad you were ok, hope I can get to ride with you next time your down our way again!
I hope so too. Maybe even with some other folks from around the Front Range? Right now it looks like it will be late April, or even May before I'm back; unless I luck out on the Ride the Rockies draw and I'm in good enough shape to try it. In that case I won't be back until about 10 days before the ride.
Old 11-24-09, 08:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry I wasn't there to ride with you. Mayvbe next year??

Well, the trails around here were plowed when you asked me, and they are plowed now. However, there is always ice and snow that melts during the warm part of the day and freezes again and it has snowed a bit since your question of me.

I am glad that you were not injured in the fall. Today I was at the physical therapist, swam and went for a walk. I will try to call you tomorrow. Just swamped with medical appts for Andy, Nora, myself and PT.

And

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Old 11-24-09, 08:42 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you got in a Bday ride. It always makes everything better. I have to say, snow and ice are no fun. Makes me thankful for our beautiful Bay Area weather.
Old 11-24-09, 08:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sorry I wasn't there to ride with you. Mayvbe next year??

Well, the trails around here were plowed when you asked me, and they are plowed now. However, there is always ice and snow that melts during the warm part of the day and freezes again and it has snowed a bit since your question of me.

I am glad that you were not injured in the fall. Today I was at the physical therapist, swam and went for a walk. I will try to call you tomorrow. Just swamped with medical appts for Andy, Nora, myself and PT.

And

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Sorrry Denver, can't blame you for the snow on these trails. They were over off County Line and near Chatfield. My source was a local who "knew". Oh well.

Glad to hear it is appointments and such that kept you. I was getting concerned that maybe things had taken a turn for the worse.

Yes, indeed, next year! We came to Colorado three times this year. We'd like to make it four next year. Cycling is always on the agenda; the more the merrier.