User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, orginal Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

older I get, better I was

Hi all, Usually celebrate the time around my birthday with a ride up a hill around my house (Old La Honda Rd., Woodside, CA), however, the decrease in ability appears to increase exponentially every year since I turned 50. For comparision, in my 20's and 30's I was clearing the hill in under 25' (and riding another 50-70 miles afterwards!) in a steel bike (42 x 21), in my 40's still under 35' in aluminum (39 x 26). I'd always hope to have a time less than my age, well, at 53, I am struggling to make 45' on a carbon bike with (30 x 25 triple). Any secrets on maintaining that youthful vigor? The low gear on my mt bike is (21 x 28 triple) so I can still probably ride the hill in my 60's and 70's even though it will take 2 hours.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Hi all, Usually celebrate the time around my birthday with a ride up a hill around my house (Old La Honda Rd., Woodside, CA),... Any secrets on maintaining that youthful vigor? .
    Welcome to the 50+ forum!

The biggest mistake I can see in your post is that there is no mention of pie. Most birthday rides around here involve pie, usually as a reward for finishing a ride where miles = age on the birthday.

If you are choosing a timed hill climb as a substitute for riding your age in miles, that's probably OK, but there still needs to be some pie involved.

As far as training for faster speeds, there are a number of experts here who can chime in and give you the details. I just wanted to the first to hammer home the critical point about baked goods.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, Usually celebrate the time around my birthday with a ride up a hill around my house (Old La Honda Rd., Woodside, CA)...
    Don't wait until your birthday to ride the hill. Ride it every day if possible.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I just wanted to the first to hammer home the critical point about baked goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Don't wait until your birthday to ride the hill. Ride it every day if possible.
    Skip the hill and head directly for the baked goods. And happy birthday.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 60, I climb OLH and other local climbs frequently and my times have been improving. I suggest more climbing at tempo or threshold heart rate or power with focus on longer duration.
    Last edited by Hermes; 11-23-09 at 09:12 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride lots
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pie helps a lot of problems,according to some on this forum blueberry is the best but others postulate any type of pie is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride, ride and ride... and when you get tired of doing that, ride some more. The only way to improve is to keep at it... Like Hermes said, more climbing will make you a better climber

train safe-

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I can't offer much more than what has already been offered. Ride as much as possible if you want to maintain your form. One thing to note is that the smaller the gearing (in gear inches), the slower you will go -- duh. So part of your riding has to focus on power, because you can't spin a 30 X 25 fast enough to get up that hill in less than 30 minutes. I used to ride up some local hills in a 42 X 19 and now I use a 39 X 21 or 23. I am trying to regain some of the climbing form that I had in my youth. It probably is not entirely possible but I am going to see how close I can get.

BTW, I rode up that road for the first time this past August just a few weeks before I turned 52. It was a lot of fun and it's a good length for working on your climbing technique and strength without killing yourself. You are lucky to live near it.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hill climbs are the one bright spot in my cycling ability. It's all about practice, pacing, gearing, and body weight. I also find alternating between standing and sitting helpful on a long climb. Now if I could just find a way to keep up on the flatlands against a headwind or sidewind ...

"Man who climb hill soon over it."

"Over the hill? I don't remember any hill."
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, Usually celebrate the time around my birthday with a ride up a hill around my house (Old La Honda Rd., Woodside, CA), ...
    That is a tough climb. I ended up walking part of it in 1971 because my 45" low gear (47/28) was too stiff toward the end of my first double metric century, which had taken us through Big Tree Basin to Santa Cruz, then north for 40 miles against a stiff headwind. I must have spent half of the 121 miles in first gear.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading about a Fountain of, spinning or was it youth or something like that. You have to ride Central America and find a Sherpa from Romania for directions. Fill two Water bottles and you will regain the strength of a 27 year old for two weeks. Well that's what I've heard.

Try Cherry Pie with vanilla ice cream if you can't get to Central America. I feel younger just smelling it........

My favorite riding shirt is from Durango, CO-The Older I get, The Faster I Was!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question needs to be are you enjoying riding more than you did when you were younger??? I hope you are.
    Ride your Ride!!

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about how long the journey takes, just keep taking the journey.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really shouldn't get a huge drop in performance with age if you continue to train. As we get older, hard efforts like intervals, sprints, hills, etc. require longer times to recover and you can't do them as frequently. But you can make up for it with longer but slower endurance rides. The secret is keep riding with long, slow rides, throw in the occassional things to work on power, and enjoy yourself.

The "older I get, the better I was" subject line reminds me of my old running group. A dozen or so of us ran together every day at noontime. We also did races together on weekends. As people left or retired, the group got smaller and smaller. We keep together still by meeting for lunch or dinner and talk about old times. It's funny how we get faster and faster in our stories each time we tell them.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, Usually celebrate the time around my birthday with a ride up a hill around my house (Old La Honda Rd., Woodside, CA), however, the decrease in ability appears to increase exponentially every year since I turned 50. For comparision, in my 20's and 30's I was clearing the hill in under 25' (and riding another 50-70 miles afterwards!) in a steel bike (42 x 21), in my 40's still under 35' in aluminum (39 x 26). I'd always hope to have a time less than my age, well, at 53, I am struggling to make 45' on a carbon bike with (30 x 25 triple). Any secrets on maintaining that youthful vigor? The low gear on my mt bike is (21 x 28 triple) so I can still probably ride the hill in my 60's and 70's even though it will take 2 hours.

Yah stop aging. I wish I could.
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5
    2007 Lemond Versailles
    2006 Lemond Croix de fer
    1995 Bianchi Eros

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    Don't worry about how long the journey takes, just keep taking the journey.
    Rick--That is the best reason I have heard for keeping doing hills in a long time.

I have stopped the severe hills on the MTB for a couple of years now. If I were to do them I would find them hard right now. But getting up on top of those hills on a crisp frosty morning just as the sun is rising is one of the memories that I will never forget. So sometime this winter I am getting the MTB dusted off and oiled and starting that ride a bit earlier. Might not be when the frost is about though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet even Brett Favre won't being playing at his current level when he grows up, err gets north of 45. Who really knows.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

-- Toby Keith
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the title reminds me of the country song lyrics:

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey chipcom I hate to admit I like you now. WTF - I didn't even read the last post before writing my own - too funny
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job just keeping at it. I find each year takes a little more effort to stay in shape and with each passing year I seem to have less time to devote to it. Make the time to keep at it and you will start getting back some of that form.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.