Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Birthday Story

    Up front disclaimer: The Post New Thread font is so small I can barely see it and the Preview Post function isn't working, nor is the spell check. So, editorial errors are probably par for the course.
    =============================================================================
    What a wonderful number 73 for me and what a difference a year makes.

    Last year we celebrated my birthday at Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. It is a first class restaurant. Food is excellent, presentation is superb and the servers are well trained and have excellent attitudes. Then I did my longest ride as of then; 31 miles on the Platte River Trail. After which I was bushed.

    This year we again celebrated at the Flagstaff House. Again the food and service were without flaw. I have never had lamb prepared any better. The restaurant has my unreserved recommendation.

    Since Saturday was The Day I decided to do a ride. I had it on good authority that the paths had been plowed so I took off. Not too far down the trail I ran into snow on top of ice and down I went. A few scrapes but no real damage. So, I walked my bike for awhile. The long and short is that I did about 20 miles around a local resevoir before it got dark. When the sun went behind the mountains chill rapidly followed.

    Yesterday, Sunday, it was again afternoon before temperatures got above the +40F mark so I could ride. That left me with only about 3 1/2 hours before dark. As my friend Denver Fox will testify I am far from the worlds fastest cyclist and here in the Denver area I am riding at about 5000' higher elevation than at home. So, with only 3 days to acclimate it was highly unlikely I'd "ride my age". Maybe adjusted for altitude?

    As it turned out I rode the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails in Denver. A greybeard I talked to told me that was upwards of 55 miles for the roundtrip. I stopped along the way to admire Confluence Park and to visit a bit. I got back to my start just as it was getting dark. That is my longest ride to date at any altitude. What was nice was that unlike being bushed as I was last year I still had lots left in me. I stopped because of darkness, not fatigue.

    The only downside is that Denver Fox was unable to join me for at least a part of the ride. But, I'll be back and he'll be healthier so there is time.

    All in all a very nice day at an age by all rights I shouldn't have achieved. May all of you be as blessed as me and get far more than you deserve.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Congratulations on the birthday ride.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta,Canada.
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are to be congratulated on your ride and your birthday.Hope you have more too come.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday indeed. We can't be held accountable for winter weather so I will pick up some extra miles on your behalf. Consider it a gift! You have great spirit L65! Have a piece of pie!

  5. #5
    Senior Member BengeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post! Thanks for the update, and happy birthday.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday, and congrats on the birthday ride. Perhaps you should petition the mods (or whoever) to officially move your birthday to something like August

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're not getting older...you're getting younger.

    Happy Birthday!

  8. #8
    Senior Member big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the foothills of Los Angeles County
    Posts
    10,593
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday! Thanks for the b-day story.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kr32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Waldorf Md.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Posts
    2,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lat,

    Nice report and great ride! Belated Happy Birthday!!!!!

  10. #10
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,260
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday.

    When I visited the Front Range last year I liked the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails. I rode several others too, but like those the best. Confluence Park is a great place to people-watch on a summer afternoon. I suppose it's a bit different in November.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  11. #11
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Up front disclaimer: The Post New Thread font is so small I can barely see it and the Preview Post function isn't working, nor is the spell check. So, editorial errors are probably par for the course.
    =============================================================================
    What a wonderful number 73 for me and what a difference a year makes.

    Last year we celebrated my birthday at Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. It is a first class restaurant. Food is excellent, presentation is superb and the servers are well trained and have excellent attitudes. Then I did my longest ride as of then; 31 miles on the Platte River Trail. After which I was bushed.

    This year we again celebrated at the Flagstaff House. Again the food and service were without flaw. I have never had lamb prepared any better. The restaurant has my unreserved recommendation.

    Since Saturday was The Day I decided to do a ride. I had it on good authority that the paths had been plowed so I took off. Not too far down the trail I ran into snow on top of ice and down I went. A few scrapes but no real damage. So, I walked my bike for awhile. The long and short is that I did about 20 miles around a local resevoir before it got dark. When the sun went behind the mountains chill rapidly followed.

    Yesterday, Sunday, it was again afternoon before temperatures got above the +40F mark so I could ride. That left me with only about 3 1/2 hours before dark. As my friend Denver Fox will testify I am far from the worlds fastest cyclist and here in the Denver area I am riding at about 5000' higher elevation than at home. So, with only 3 days to acclimate it was highly unlikely I'd "ride my age". Maybe adjusted for altitude?

    As it turned out I rode the Platte River and Cherry Creek Trails in Denver. A greybeard I talked to told me that was upwards of 55 miles for the roundtrip. I stopped along the way to admire Confluence Park and to visit a bit. I got back to my start just as it was getting dark. That is my longest ride to date at any altitude. What was nice was that unlike being bushed as I was last year I still had lots left in me. I stopped because of darkness, not fatigue.

    The only downside is that Denver Fox was unable to join me for at least a part of the ride. But, I'll be back and he'll be healthier so there is time.

    All in all a very nice day at an age by all rights I shouldn't have achieved. May all of you be as blessed as me and get far more than you deserve.
    I had to squirt around my cataracts, b ut enjoyed reading your post. Happy birthday and congratulations. Very enjoyable and well written read. Thanks
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had me at "the paths had been plowed", yikes!
    Happy Birthday, and many many more miles.

    Enjoy the Ride.

  13. #13
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy stories that have a happy ending!!
    Ride your Ride!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

    I probably should add that the reason this year was better than last is because last year was the first year of riding a road bike. Of course as a kid I'd ridden around a bit and over the years had kicked around the neighborhood a wee bit. But, no "serious" cycling or the road bike kind of thing until last summer. Since then I've done my best to ride either the bike or a spin bike several times a week. It seems this bike riding thing has been good for me. So much so I've bought a road bike I leave here in the Denver area for my visits. Maybe next time I can meet and ride with some more of you.

  15. #15
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you had a good Birthday Ride!! I can relate, last Wed's. I was riding thru several slush patches on the paths and roads and caught a patch that turned to ICE and down I went, no FUN! Glad you were ok, hope I can get to ride with you next time your down our way again!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    Glad you had a good Birthday Ride!! I can relate, last Wed's. I was riding thru several slush patches on the paths and roads and caught a patch that turned to ICE and down I went, no FUN! Glad you were ok, hope I can get to ride with you next time your down our way again!
    I hope so too. Maybe even with some other folks from around the Front Range? Right now it looks like it will be late April, or even May before I'm back; unless I luck out on the Ride the Rockies draw and I'm in good enough shape to try it. In that case I won't be back until about 10 days before the ride.

  17. #17
    Gone DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gone to other places
    Posts
    20,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I wasn't there to ride with you. Mayvbe next year??

    Well, the trails around here were plowed when you asked me, and they are plowed now. However, there is always ice and snow that melts during the warm part of the day and freezes again and it has snowed a bit since your question of me.

    I am glad that you were not injured in the fall. Today I was at the physical therapist, swam and went for a walk. I will try to call you tomorrow. Just swamped with medical appts for Andy, Nora, myself and PT.

    And

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

  18. #18
    DoubleTrouble cgallagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got in a Bday ride. It always makes everything better. I have to say, snow and ice are no fun. Makes me thankful for our beautiful Bay Area weather.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Sorry I wasn't there to ride with you. Mayvbe next year??

    Well, the trails around here were plowed when you asked me, and they are plowed now. However, there is always ice and snow that melts during the warm part of the day and freezes again and it has snowed a bit since your question of me.

    I am glad that you were not injured in the fall. Today I was at the physical therapist, swam and went for a walk. I will try to call you tomorrow. Just swamped with medical appts for Andy, Nora, myself and PT.

    And

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Sorrry Denver, can't blame you for the snow on these trails. They were over off County Line and near Chatfield. My source was a local who "knew". Oh well.

    Glad to hear it is appointments and such that kept you. I was getting concerned that maybe things had taken a turn for the worse.

    Yes, indeed, next year! We came to Colorado three times this year. We'd like to make it four next year. Cycling is always on the agenda; the more the merrier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •