Thread: Craigslist Scam

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craigslist Scam

I have a bike on the local New Orleans Craigslist and received this email last night.

"Hello Seller,

I am actually buying this product for myself and i will handle the shipping myself so no worries as i am going to be responsible for the shipping bills which i will add extra $1000 for the shipping bill for you. This product is going to be picked up by my agent after i have made the full payment via PayPal, why am using PayPal is because they are the most fastest and well secured for online transaction. All i will need is your PayPal account email so that i can remit the funds into your account as soon as you email me your agreement to this process. If you don't have PayPal account, kindly log in to www.paypal.com and have your new PayPal account set up with them now. I will need more pictures of this product in your next mail as i wont be able to come and check out this product. I reside in United Kingdom (UK) but i get fascinated by products from abroad because it costs some fortunes here and hope we have a deal.

Your fast response will be greatly appreciated and you can add me on messenger at: pface0831@yahoo.com.

Thanks. "

It has to be a scam but I'm not quite sure how it works since they are using PayPal. The first "sentence" is a give away.

Any ideas how this one works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great link.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get those emails all the time. That's what the delete button is for.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sd790 - thanks for the link. That explains how it works. I had never heard of an "unconfirmed address" before. I wonder exactly how an address is "confirmed". Probably if it is on the USPS mail deliver system.

RonH - absolutely - that is what the delete button is for. I just find it interesting how these scams work and hope nobody falls for them although I suspect some people do otherwise they would not be going one. Sad that some people are like that.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a similar scam going through craigslist where they offer to send you a certified check - but the check that they send is made out in the wrong amount - over by some. They will ask you to mail them a check for the difference, and that they will be sending someone over to pick up the merchandise. The check that you receive is a good enough forgery for your bank to accept it, but after about 2 weeks, your bank will realize that it is a fake and take the money out of your account, so you are out however much they 'overpaid' you, and nobody comes to pick up the merchandise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
    sI just find it interesting how these scams work and hope nobody falls for them although I suspect some people do otherwise they would not be going one. Sad that some people are like that.
    They can post the same thing to a thousand listings and if one works, their time is worth it. That's how scams work - spread it around and it only has to work a few times to make real money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold an RV through Craigslist. I would only accept cash and had a bank verify the cash was legit and not counterfeit before accepting it and turning over the RV, title and keys to the buyer. Cashier's checks can be forged easily now so they're no guarantee. I was amazed at how many scammers reply to Craigslist postings. It would be nice if an affordable escrow service existed for smaller, private, online sales. I think legitimate buyers and sellers would pay a reasonable fee to use such a service.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    They can post the same thing to a thousand listings and if one works, their time is worth it. That's how scams work - spread it around and it only has to work a few times to make real money.
    "Hello seller... I'm actually buying this product for myself..."

I love that he doesn't even bother to edit the post to mention what the "product" is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News Flash - there are scams on CL!

I listed a free bike on CL, good beater for a college student, and some guy called and wanted me to deliver it to him. There are just as may nuts on the buyer side of CL as the seller side.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me an old grouch, but it seems that there an awful lot of scams and stolen goods on craig's list, and Ebay. "the world's biggest yardsale"? Uh, how about "The world's biggest fencing operation"?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Call me an old grouch, but it seems that there an awful lot of scams and stolen goods on craig's list, and Ebay. "the world's biggest yardsale"? Uh, how about "The world's biggest fencing operation"?
    I've had several things listed on craigslist recently, and had the scammers reply to every single one. Even the free item! They use the "I'm out of town but I will have my assistant deliver the cashier's check with a little extra added for your trouble in holding the product til I get back" version.

I have bought things on ebay--but always wonder if they were stolen or are counterfeit. I am convinced that the Adidas shoes were counterfeit -- they did not feel at all like my previous pair.

My Bikes
    2008 Marin Muirwoods. 41 lbs Costco Special
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paypal address is "confirmed" when your name and shipping address match with the billing address of your funding credit card or bank account in your paypal account.

-G