Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Whats with this weather? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/605210-whats-weather.html)

cyclinfool 11-25-09 06:29 PM

Whats with this weather?

Here it is Thanksgiving weekend and I am usually looking for ski season to start with my first day being Saturday after thanksgiving but not this year. The daytime temps have been mostly in the 50s - way to warm for snow, natural or man made. So it's been too cold/dark to ride a lot and now it's too warm to ski. Maybe next week will bring colder temps.

RonH 11-25-09 07:56 PM

Who wants colder temps? If it gets too cold I'm inside on the trainer. :o B-O-R-I-N-G !!!!

tsl 11-25-09 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 10076804)
Who wants colder temps?

CF has this crazy idea that at a certain point in the calendar, you put away the bike and strap boards to your feet instead. Crazyfool spends all summer climbing mountains on his bike, only to ride to the top of them in winter and shoosh down them. Very strange.

I, on the other hand, am diggin' the weather. By the middle of *last* week, I had more miles in November than I did in either October or September. I'm chasing down August right now. Only 61 miles to go.

And I didn't think it gets cold in GA. ;)

spry 11-25-09 08:35 PM

Ask him what his concept of cold is in Georgia.

Tom Bombadil 11-25-09 09:56 PM

It's been abnormally warm here in November, with most days in the 50s. Even had a couple of 70s. This past Sunday was 57.

But it has turned cooler since, 40s & rain. Just looked out my window 15 minutes ago and was surprised to see a white lawn. First snow of the season. Tomorrow's high/low is supposed to be 38/25.

I sure enjoyed the warmer temps while they lasted. Makes the Wisconsin winter shorter. And as the temps are supposed to climb back up into the mid 40s, I'm still pretty happy with what's happening.

JanMM 11-25-09 10:07 PM

Moved to Atlanta when we got married because you can bike year-round there. The locals don't all agree with that. Rode year-round the 8 years we spent there.

Might snow a little tomorrow but back to around 50 and dry by Saturday. Hope to go on at least one more club ride on Sat.

cyclinfool 11-26-09 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 10076893)
CF has this crazy idea that at a certain point in the calendar, you put away the bike and strap boards to your feet instead. Crazyfool spends all summer climbing mountains on his bike, only to ride to the top of them in winter and shoosh down them. Very strange.

I, on the other hand, am diggin' the weather. By the middle of *last* week, I had more miles in November than I did in either October or September. I'm chasing down August right now. Only 61 miles to go.

And I didn't think it gets cold in GA. ;)

I too have more miles in November than October. Usually daylight chases me off the bike after labor day with only weekend rides until ski season starts and that occupies my weekends with the trainer being the only riding. This season with the magicshine I have been keeping the ~100mi/week rate up and the trainer has not left the closet. Infact I am planning another 25 mile ride this morning - and it's 48 degrees out.
I was planning to start spin classes on Monday but if this weather keeps up and there is no ice I can go another week or two. I have not bought studs yet but have been thinking about it. I have been considering taking my MTB with studs on it up to the mountains so I can ride up to the resort early in tha AM and my family can sleep in and meet me up there later. Would be cool - ride then ski, combine my two favorite activites in one day.

The Weak Link 11-26-09 08:37 AM

T-day, it's 39 out there. I'm going riding anyway but I think that is cold.

Barrettscv 11-26-09 09:23 AM

I'll ride on Friday and/or Saturday. Darkness and other obligations have reduced my riding more than the weather.

cyclinfool 11-26-09 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hot damn! The latest weather report from the mountain is looking good. Snow coming in starting Sat morning and getting serious by Sunday!

Here is a pic of my little heaven up in the Adirondacks - it ain't Utah, but it sure is great.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=126809

cgallagh 11-26-09 02:09 PM

Turkey day. Time is Zulu so noon here. Sun is shining but we may be in for rain tonight or tomorrow. I surely hope so. We need it bad.

Time
EST (UTC)
Temperature
F (C)
Dew Point
F (C)
Pressure
Inches (hPa)
Wind
MPH
Weather Latest 3 PM (20) Nov 26 61.0 (16.1) 45.0 (7.2) 30.11 (1019) NE 3

stapfam 11-27-09 12:00 PM

End of November and temp right now in in the 50's. That ain't normal- even for the SE of the UK. It would appear that northern England is about to get it's first frost of the year in the next few days and we might get temps in the low 40's next week In the mean time we are having to put up with the high winds and Heavy showers--"Merging Together" for another few days. And the heavy showers dropped 3" of rain in my garden yesterday- The chickens have got webbed feet and the dog is wearing flippers.-I am not going out there.

cyclinfool 11-27-09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 10081128)
End of November and temp right now in in the 50's. That ain't normal- even for the SE of the UK. It would appear that northern England is about to get it's first frost of the year in the next few days and we might get temps in the low 40's next week In the mean time we are having to put up with the high winds and Heavy showers--"Merging Together" for another few days. And the heavy showers dropped 3" of rain in my garden yesterday- The chickens have got webbed feet and the dog is wearing flippers.-I am not going out there.

Yes - I have read in the news where you brits have been getting quite soaked - those up in the north in particular.

lhbernhardt 11-28-09 10:23 AM

Constant rain in Vancouver, although it stopped for a while on Friday, then started again Friday night. Going for a ride across the border in Washington state today. It's usually drier in NW Washington than it is in BC's lower mainland, plus all the traffic is on the interstate, leaving the back roads pretty quiet for riding. Just have to avoid the shopper traffic around Bellingham.

One month with the new bike frame, and I've got 1400 km on it, most of it wet... Good thing there are no derailleurs or cassettes to get worn down in the rain and grit; one of the big advantages of riding a fixie this time of year. The brake pads get a lot of use, though, especially on some of the wet descents!

L.

tntyz 11-28-09 04:46 PM

50's again today here. Woot! O fear, though, that we may soon run out of weather . . .

tsl 11-28-09 07:17 PM

Remember the line in Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, "the gales of November came early"?

The gales of November are a feature of all the Great Lakes, not just Superior. Living on Lake Ontario's south shore (or the North Coast of America) I've been waiting for the gales of November all month. Today was the first windy day all month. We had a few gusts to 25 MPH. Pretty asthmatic for the gales of November. We'll see what December brings.

Meanwhile, I'm still racking up the miles. Another 30 miles and November will be my 4th-highest mileage month in 2009 after July, June and May in that order. My weekend is just starting (I work "hairdresser's hours", meaning I have Sundays and Mondays off), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Forecast for tomorrow is thickening clouds, 48°F, winds SSW @ 5-10. I'm feeling a nice little ride coming on…

And that still leaves Monday afternoon errands and bill-paying.

cyclinfool 11-28-09 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 10085058)
Remember the line in Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, "the gales of November came early"?

The gales of November are a feature of all the Great Lakes, not just Superior. Living on Lake Ontario's south shore (or the North Coast of America) I've been waiting for the gales of November all month. Today was the first windy day all month. We had a few gusts to 25 MPH. Pretty asthmatic for the gales of November. We'll see what December brings.

Meanwhile, I'm still racking up the miles. Another 30 miles and November will be my 4th-highest mileage month in 2009 after July, June and May in that order. My weekend is just starting (I work "hairdresser's hours", meaning I have Sundays and Mondays off), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Forecast for tomorrow is thickening clouds, 48°F, winds SSW @ 5-10. I'm feeling a nice little ride coming on…

And that still leaves Monday afternoon errands and bill-paying.

It blew like stink last night in the Electric City. White caps on the Mohawk today. I went up to the Daks to take care of some details on my daughters race program - some frosting of snow in the high peaks. It will be at least a week before the fun starts given the weather forcast and man's ability to spray the slopes white. This is the first time I have seen things like this. Really weird - like living down south again.

rumrunn6 11-29-09 09:15 AM

the cold is coming the end of this week and even more next week

cyclinfool 11-29-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10086540)
the cold is coming the end of this week and even more next week

I sure hope your right. 50 degrees again today - this is crazy.

BluesDawg 11-29-09 07:00 PM

70 F here today and I'm not complaining in the least.

tsl 11-29-09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 10085058)

Yellow Bike and I went out for a very nice ride this afternoon. The old motor was really in tip-top shape. Everything seemed easy. And we had the mythical tailwind both ways. Winds were from the SSW when we started out, heading north to the lake. Along the lakeshore it was calm a while, then a very faint headwind. Turned around and heading back south, the winds had shifted from the ENE. Got home with 31 miles at 17.6 MPH, and better yet, the motor still felt fresh!

rumrunn6 11-30-09 04:02 AM

31 @ 17.6? wow, I'm impressed! sounds like a rockin' good time!

tsl 11-30-09 10:21 AM

Impressed? I was awestruck. :eek:

rumrunn6 11-30-09 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 10090407)
Impressed? I was awestruck. :eek:

Thought about your post on my way this morning. On a relatively straight section my computer was reading 19 mph and I was thinking yeah, that's right. But of course when I got to work 13 miles later with 2 stops to adjust lighting my avrg speed was only 14.4 mph. :( (my max got up to 27.3 but so what)

Anyway - KUDOs!

cyclinfool 11-30-09 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 10088766)
Yellow Bike and I went out for a very nice ride this afternoon. The old motor was really in tip-top shape. Everything seemed easy. And we had the mythical tailwind both ways. Winds were from the SSW when we started out, heading north to the lake. Along the lakeshore it was calm a while, then a very faint headwind. Turned around and heading back south, the winds had shifted from the ENE. Got home with 31 miles at 17.6 MPH, and better yet, the motor still felt fresh!

That sounds about like my Sunday ride - a 30 mile loop I do all the time. I took my bike computer off the bike a few months ago, since I have been riding in the dark I have not had the need for it. I can't say for sure but I must have averaged close to 18mph because from the time I went into the garage to get the bike down, put the shoes on and suit up to the time I came back in the door kitchen - bike put away, shoes off was 1 hour 50 minutes. The whole ride I just felt good, no wind in any direction and the hills hardly seemed like they were there at all.