My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's that time of year already

Sometimes I don't know why I bother
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 11-27-09 at 12:13 AM.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know why- All those hints to the wife about the gloves wearing out-The bike could do with a couple of partsthat she knows the name of and then there are the moans to the kids that you need some new clothing to get out on the bike this winter. Then the morning finally arrives and you find the kids have bought you red Lycra shorts in a size too small- the derailler that the wife bought you is the latest version of Dure Ace and will not work with your "Retro" system and to cap it all- Santa's reindeer have pee'd on the gloves and they are now too small and have a funny smell about them.

You are right- Why bother.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea - but it doesn't seem like it. After a ride this morning it was off to the christmas tree farm to slay another conifer.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time of year?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's that special time of year when many celebrate the sacred union of Sol Invictus and Gaia, who gave birth to the 30 Aeons, each in pairs, representing active and passive forces of the universe.

These pairs emitted the lower Aeons, the last of which was Sophia (of DaVinci code fame).

She harbored wicked thoughts for the highest father and gave birth to Thought, which upon being cast from the celestial realms took the personification of Achamoth. She in turn gave birth to the Demiurge.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Or you could keep your F'ing sour attitude to yourself and not go peeing on everybody else's Cheerios.

The choice is yours.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    It's that special time of year when many celebrate the sacred union of Sol Invictus and Gaia, who gave birth to the 30 Aeons, each in pairs, representing active and passive forces of the universe.

These pairs emitted the lower Aeons, the last of which was Sophia (of DaVinci code fame).

She harbored wicked thoughts for the highest father and gave birth to Thought, which upon being cast from the celestial realms took the personification of Achamoth. She in turn gave birth to the Demiurge.

Can I have some of what you have been smoking, drinking or otherwise. Must be some good chit.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you could keep your F'ing sour attitude to yourself and not go peeing on everybody else's Cheerios.

The choice is yours.
    If only you had some clue what I was talking about -and, hence, to which you respond- but why let facts get in the way of your little dream world?
    Not sure what I ever did to you that you seem to take me so personally. At least you have your crack pipe to keep you company.
    Well, nothing personal here, chum, but where I come from, we have two words for people like you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    What time of year?
    Speaking taking things personally -which I do sometimes. Maybe too much- it's the time of year for thanks, which I gave to y'all for your support and encouragement.
    Well, ya'll except for the Weakest Link who went from being my self-professed twin to some poor bitter, hate filled schmuck.
    But anyway, I don't often express gratitude so, when over 30 people read my thanks and blew me off, I had a little hissy fit. C'est la vie.

My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I thought he meant deer season

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    But anyway, I don't often express gratitude so, when over 30 people read my thanks and blew me off, I had a little hissy fit. C'est la vie.
    There was already a Thanksgiving day cheer thread started - why did you feel the need to start another one? Everyone else seemed to think the one was adequate to share best wishes. Sorry if you felt singled out.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    There was already a Thanksgiving day cheer thread started - why did you feel the need to start another one? Everyone else seemed to think the one was adequate to share best wishes. Sorry if you felt singled out.
    Why? I don't know. Guess I just did. Honest mistake. It won't happen again.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy day after Thanksgiving, SaiKaiTai.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    What's Thankgiving????

Don't have it over here but I dare say it will arrive with the due process of time. Just Like Halloween.

Never had the "American" style of Halloween over here when I was young- and before anyone says it, I know that was long time ago. All we had were a few Mangel Wurzles filched from a local farmer hollowed out to show the face and if you could afford it- you put a candle in to illuminate the face. If you couldn't afford it- you put a rag inside and set light to that.

The "American" form of the festivity where the local yobs can bully you into giving them sweets or money did not arrive till about 10 years ago.

Have you got any other ways of terrorizing the neighbourhood that we should know about before they arrive.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    What's Thankgiving????

Don't have it over here but I dare say it will arrive with the due process of time. Just Like Halloween.
    Bet you don't have 4th of July, either!
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our Thanksgiving the first Monday in October. The big news in Canada about US Thanksgiving is Black Friday, the holiday you get because Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, and it makes sense to take the Friday off (one of the best ideas Americans ever came up with), so all the big box stores take this as an opportunity to sell you stiff, so CBC reported that Bellisfair (the big mall in Bellngham, WA, about 40 km south of the Canada/US border) was open at 4 in the morning on Friday and the parking lot was full by 6 am, with lineups for the stores extending halfway around the mall.

Most of the shoppers were Canadians!

L.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    Bet you don't have 4th of July, either!
    In Canada we have the 1st of July, aka Canada Day. The BC Randonneurs always put on a ride on that day, with one km per year that the Confederation has been in business. So this year, we did 142 km. I guess if you're an American, you would have had to have ridden 233 miles this past July 4!

L.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I'm out of bananas as well.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    If only you had some clue what I was talking about -and, hence, to which you respond- but why let facts get in the way of your little dream world?
    Not sure what I ever did to you that you seem to take me so personally. At least you have your crack pipe to keep you company.
    Well, nothing personal here, chum, but where I come from, we have two words for people like you.
    OK, OK, I spoke harshly, and not called for under the circumstances. Mea culpa.

It's funny how a good ride (earlier today) can improve your outlook on life. Hope you got a chance to do same.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how a good ride (earlier today) can improve your outlook on life. Hope you got a chance to do same.
    I not only did get the chance, I took it.
    Still carrying a little too much turkey, et. al. in the system so it wasn't quite the ride I had intended.
    And I'm still shaking off remnants of my infection but it was still a nice 20 mile, 2 hour coastal jaunt over the hills and dales that make up my world.
    I enjoyed every minutes of it.

And now it's time for our local neighborhood monthly hooteneanny so I be smilin' lots right now.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weak Link, I was impressed by your Historical\Philosophy lesson. i always wondered how it all fit together.

SaiKaiTai-you had me befuddled. Now I think I know how to take you, sorta.

But I'm new in these parts, confusion is my spiritual gifting.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter Solstice. It's all about making it to Winter Solstice.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    SaiKaiTai-you had me befuddled. Now I think I know how to take you, sorta.

But I'm new in these parts, confusion is my spiritual gifting.
    How to take me? It's simple, really. I wear my heart on my sleeve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    What's Thankgiving????

Never had the "American" style of Halloween over here when I was young- and before anyone says it, I know that was long time ago. All we had were a few Mangel Wurzles filched from a local farmer hollowed out to show the face and if you could afford it- you put a candle in to illuminate the face. If you couldn't afford it- you put a rag inside and set light to that.

The "American" form of the festivity where the local yobs can bully you into giving them sweets or money did not arrive till about 10 years ago.

Have you got any other ways of terrorizing the neighbourhood that we should know about before they arrive.
    Not sure im spelling this right,but you have Guy Fawkes we dont.When i was 4or5 years old we came to England to visit relatives.Ended up staying couple of years.Lived probably 20 miles or so from where you live(Worthing)i remember huge bonfires on Guy fawkes.Lotsa fun for a kid.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's that time of year where the most important "news" here is how much $$$ the retailers have sold.

I'm more concerned about putting 35 more miles on my bike so that I can get to a nice round number for the year. I know many do a solstice ride in summer, maybe I'll try a Winter Solstice ride. Be kind of fun.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold is cold.....just dress for it. It is hard because that first 10mns is frezzing..but after that you can be good to go. Key word can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast