User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was your best ride over the holidays?

I got in some long rides over the holidays but my favorite was simply going down to the corner store to pick up Cream of Mushroom soup for my wife. I didn't want to hop in the car and fight the crunch at the grocery store. Hopping on my bike instead was very enjoyable since the weather was great. Plus, my wife said it got me out of the kitchen.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blimey!!!

Yet another to realise the joys of not wasting money and time getting the car out for short journeys.

Have to admit that I have only got into that this year. I used to walk to the local shops- but down into the town (About 1 mile) and the car would come out. But My LBS is about 10 miles away. I always ride there and have a muset in the saddle wedge- just in case I can't get the purchases in the pockets. Even earlier this year when a friend bought a bike from them- He got a lift down and I rode. Then it was a decent length settling in ride for him on the way home.

But best ride in the last Month? With our weather there has not been a decent one.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best ride was in a car on Black Friday. Put money down on a new house in a 55+ community. Which happens to be approx 1/2 mile of flat road to market, bank and post office. Also funeral home, but suspect I won't be making that ride. Will be back on Bike on Sunday, when the current winds are suppose to be gone. Hopefully during that ride I can figure out how to tell the wife of what I did.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A timely topic as I watch my boarding pass being printed for our trip home and we reflect on a very nice but too short Thanksgiving. The trip has been so short I am just now getting sort of acclimated to the altitude as it is time to go home.

I had three memorable rides. The first one was a 20 miler right after I arrived. On that one I experienced once again the challenge of riding in a much higher altitude while tired from travel. The next ride was a 55+ mile ride over some very nice "trails"; more like paved bike highways. Then yesterday it warmed to +68F and I just had to have a farewell ride down to a lake that is about 5 miles away. Rode down the hills to the lake and then most of the way around it. Beautiful day with light breeze, lots of cyclists, lots of walkers, lots of animals, lots of cars; all enjoying a beautiful day in a cooperative way. On the way home talked to a guy who was test riding a bike. He was riding a Tarmac (sp?) and had just ridden a Rubaix (sp?). He said the Tarmac was a sports car compaired to the Rubaix.

All in all Definitely Quality Time.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ridden my bike since Wed. as I have some kind of crud that has sapped my strength and turned my head into a mucous-making machine. I hope to ride tomorrow. Glad to hear of so many holiday rides.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I haven't ridden my bike since Wed. as I have some kind of crud that has sapped my strength and turned my head into a mucous-making machine. I hope to ride tomorrow. Glad to hear of so many holiday rides.
    Gack! Oh, you don't want to be messing with any of that stuff!
    I just finally, this week, feel like I got my strength and snap back after a 2 or 3 week battle with a cold *** bronchitis *** early stage pneumonia.
    Boy, you sure can lose it in a hurry but it's a long time coming back.

That said, I've taken a few 15-17 miles jaunts this week, the last being on Wednesday.
    I'm trying to get motivated to go out for a couple of hours now <sigh> We'll see. I'll probably just do another 15 mile loop around town.
    Still better than nothing and it's SO nice out today.

Get well, soon, RR!
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the T-Giving holidays over?
    Went on the 25 mile Medium club ride today. Sunny, breezy and cool - excellent for late November in the Heartland.
    16.7mph on flat, not-terribly-smooth rural roads. That's about 1mph faster on the new long wheelbase 'bent compared to the short wheelbase 'bent. Plus, the looong wheelbase with 1.5" tires make for an amazingly smooth ride. Looking forward to Spring.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two rides over the Thanksgiving holidays. The second one, a 45 miler was the best. At the end of that ride, I had exceeded last year's mileage by 2 miles!

I've been trying to get rid of some kind of krud, myself. Low grade fever, achy, chest congestion. This is very frustrating because I'm on vacation in the flatland with mild temperatures and not riding much. Back to reality on Monday.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My club did a pub crawl (on bikes). Great fun, great getting to know your fellow club-members off the bike. My other rides this weekend were 25, 47 and 87 miles. I'm taking tomorrow off. Of course, and it goes without saying, "Drink responsibly."

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today. Gorgeous weather. Mid-50's, felt warmer. 27 miles in the Boonies. Very few cars, about 4 cyclists and equal number of hikers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several great rides. The best was on Thanksgiving Day. Riding by myself, approached a Great Blue Heron in the middle of a heavily wooded road. The big guy took off and flew just ahead of me down the road for about 100 yds. until he got to a break in the woods. Beautiful.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice 52 mile loop on the tandem with some good climbing. Great weather. Would have been perfect but for a pretty good headwind much of the last 20 miles
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best ride was Thanksgiving Day. The daughter and I left the house about 10:30 and headed north on the Seminole Wekiva Trail. It is about 10 mile from the house to Panera Bread where we stopped for a cold iced tea and a sweet roll. Upon leaving Panera Bread we jumped on International Blvd and rode it to just short of state road 46. We turned right on Wayside Road and crossed 46 to Orange Blvd. Turning west on Orange takes us in a big loop back to Wayside Dr which we took east ot International again. We turned south on Intenational and took it back to the Seminole Trail. While on International we cranked up the speed to between 20 and 22 mph for about a mile and a half (this is much faster that either of us ride). We stopped at the Panera Bread again to catch a drink of water and the daughter says to me "boy we were A riders there for a little while". We had a good laugh the headed for home where the wife had prepared Thanksgiving dinner. It was a good 37 mile ride.

SloSpoke Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best ride was the commute home from work before the start of the four days off. Everything after that was just gravy. Leaving work behind to be with family and friends is tough to beat. On Wednesday night the road just seemed to disappear beneath me and all the minor inconveniences of traffic were mysteriously absent. The new lights on the commuter all seemed to function properly as evidenced by the wide margin of room accorded me by drivers. Even the normal headwind seemed diminished. Heck, I rode slower than normal just to savor the trip. When I walked in the door my wife said, "What are you grinning about? Did work go especially well today?" I responded, "No, but the ride home was spectacular."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '10 TREK 7.7 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was the 20 miler on the indoor trainer on Black Friday. Best I could do even with outside temps at 55+ F. RE: Need to let my broken hand and finger heal after the deer / bike encounter on the Nov 2nd. I know a lot of you hate trainers, but it has been a Godsend in dealing with the injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get a great spin in on Thanksgiving+1. Just a fast 18 mile blast on the C&O Canal in its Western Maryland reaches in the mud 'n slop 'n sticks 'n roots. Covered head-to-toe in wet gritty slimy mud. . .a rivulet of cold wet dirt down the crack! At the half-way mark, stopped to see my [84 year old] mom and present her with her 60-ish son's mud-drenched spectacle and two bags of pistachios. Afterward stopped at the "Lost Dog" for una tazza d'espresso. . .sipped with a great [90DB] roar of sipping noise. . .like my daddy before me. . .and his daddy. . .and. . .

Anyway, I knew I was alive. . .and just exactly WHERE!!! Che beatifico!
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seven of us on a short 32 miler on Thanksgiving morning to the Wild Chicken in Loomis, CA. Crisp weather, crisp riding. It's the fourth year this pre-TG ride has been done.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today. Nice little 30-miler up along the lakeshore and back. No traffic, no wind.

And before that, yesterday's 10 miles of errands after work. Wind, spits of rain, had a blast.

And before that, Thursday's nice little 20-mile loop along the canal. Met a new potential ride partner.

And before that, Wednesday's commute home in the dark and wind and rain, with a stop for a pizza party at an AA meeting I frequent.

And before that, Sunday out to my parents' for Thanksgiving dinner. Nice appetite builder, and burnt some stuffing off on the way home.

And before that…
    Last edited by tsl; 11-29-09 at 02:39 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 3 nice rides in since Thursday. Todays ride was probably the best, a fast 30 miler. I was over feeling stuffed from turkey day and well rested. Although I would have rather skiied today, at 50 degrees there just isn't any snow
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17 mile round trip commute to work on Friday. Still weak from being sick I took my cross bike with Bionx electric assist. The weather was blustery and in the 40's F. It's my first ride in two months.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I spent most of the holiday week in an ICU, away from my family, visiting a critically ill close relative. Luckily, after being told by the docs that she likely wouldn't survive, my relative pulled through, and she's stable now. It was the first time every I hadn't been with my wife and kids on Thanksgiving day; kind of a glum holiday.

I returned home late Friday night and had time to take a nice 22 mile ride Saturday and a wonderful 52 mile ride today -- dry roads, no rain, 50 degrees -- the first time I've ridden a bike without fenders for about 6 weeks.

Right now, the biking is keeping me sane.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful ride down the beaches of the west coast of Florida. Clearwater to Ft. Desoto park and back. Cool day for us here and a 15mph headwind the whole way back, but still a great ride. Total of 77 miles. I rode Sat and Sun too, but that ride was the best.

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was a 200k permanent yesterday. I rode with 3 friends, one who was recovering from a stress fracture in her leg (and who probably had no business on a bike yesterday). She really wanted to keep her R-12 streak alive, so was riding before she should have been, at a very easy pace.

We had picked the easiest 200k we could find, but a howling south wind made it tough, anyway. We don't ride this easy a pace often, and yesterday was a reminder of how great the conversation can be when one or more aren't hanging onto the group by a thread. I ended up with 127.1 miles and a total time of 10:55.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I rode with 7 other riders including one of my sons for 40 brisk miles. The weather was perfect and the pace was even better, we hammered some hills and nailed some flats and rollers. I have a surgery scheduled for Tuesday that will keep me out of action for 6 to 12 weeks, so today was sort of a "going away party/ride" for me.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode Turkey Day and Saturday with a few other 50+, 60+ and 70+ guys and gals up and down Longboat Key and Lido Key with coffee, laughs and snacks stop in St.Armand's Circle. About 26mi each day at 16mph av. Bloody cold (50F) yesterday morning, but back into the 70s today(rest day). Hill climbs tomorrow with a 71-year-old, who will thrash me up and down the Ringling Bridge - the only "hill" around here - a few times after which I shall be knackered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast