Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An upside to the housing crisis in Florida

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-29-09, 04:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts

I was riding a new to me area today and went into an open gated community just to check it out and what a spot! Miles of pristine winding roads in perfect condition all the margins kept up and not one single house in sight. There was the requisite model home and an operating golf course (very high end BTW) which accounted for the the perfect roads and grooming...even the waterfalls were turned on for my viewing pleasure. I didn't see one car during the hour I spent in there. I have ridden many of these communities in the last few months but none as nice as this. I will be using this area for a while.

I have taken quite a financial beating in this economy (yes, I'm (was) a house flipper) so this is a little payback to me.

Mike
Old 11-29-09, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big "exclusive" subdivision of "executive homes" (whatever THAT means) up the hill from us is going the same way. There were big protests when it was approved in a previously wild area, the last bit of winter range for a local deer herd that numbered about 4500 animals. County approved it, and about 3000 homes were built. At least a third of them are empty, tumbleweed blowing down the streets. It's a good place to ride if you don't want to get out in traffic, with rolling hills and a few long climbs. Too bad about the deer--they're scattered, getting hit on the freeway at the rate of a dozen or so a week, and the Dept. of Wildlife says there are only about 1200 left.
Old 11-29-09, 06:42 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Big "exclusive" subdivision of "executive homes" (whatever THAT means) up the hill from us is going the same way. There were big protests when it was approved in a previously wild area, the last bit of winter range for a local deer herd that numbered about 4500 animals. County approved it, and about 3000 homes were built. At least a third of them are empty, tumbleweed blowing down the streets. It's a good place to ride if you don't want to get out in traffic, with rolling hills and a few long climbs. Too bad about the deer--they're scattered, getting hit on the freeway at the rate of a dozen or so a week, and the Dept. of Wildlife says there are only about 1200 left.
Maybe the deer should move into the empty houses.

As our economy changes - and I fear not for the better, these houses will become white elephants.
I the town where I was born - a big rail town. Just down the street from us were these huge mansions. By the mid 70's you couldn't give them away, even the upkeep was too expensive.