Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-09, 06:24 PM   #1
tntyz

Bikes: '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pre-ride Checklist

Today was an object lesson in how important that pre-ride checklist is. I took and from home and thought that the bike felt kinda "draggy". Sort of like the rear tire didn't have enough air, though I pumped up just before leaving.

Got home after 30 miles. Decided to lube chain, check brakes, etc. Noticed that the center bolt holding the rear brake on had worked loose and the pad was pretty tight to the rim. No wonder the bike felt slow today! 30 miles felt like 40, and now I know why.

Lesson learned. Always re-check the brakes before taking off.
tntyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 06:39 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
I always check the bike after a ride as I am cleaning it. Then pre ride is where is it? Pump the tyres to pressure and off.

Unless I don't check the bike after a ride- but then I have to ride a dirty bike amd I don't like that.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 07:01 PM   #3
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The way to remember is "ABC Quick Check"

A is for Air and tires.
B is for Brakes.
C is for Chain, Crank and Cassette.
Quick is for Quick Releases.
Check is for Check It Over, or everything else.

Full list is here.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:25 PM   #4
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I pump the tires before any ride. Usually, I'll do a quick loop around the immediate neighborhood, and that let's me know what I have forgotten... my gloves, my helmet, my ID etc.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:37 PM   #5
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Speaking of brakes, I had a bit of a scare yesterday afternoon, when the cam portion of my rollercam front brake popped out of its proper location between the rollers.* Fortunately, I was going slowly and uphill at the time. I reset the brake, rode the last mile home very gently, and then thoroughly inspected and lubed the front caliper assembly. I have not been able to replicate the failure, but I am going to be more thorough in my pre-ride inspections.

* For those not familiar with the technology, the cam, a flat metal plate with curved sides, is bolted to the end of the brake cable. A roller sits on the upper end of each brake arm, and as the lever is squeezed, the cam rises and pushes the rollers apart, thereby moving the brake pads toward the rims. (The pivots are between the rollers and the brake pads, not below the brake pads, as in the more familiar cantilever and V brakes.)
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 09:10 AM   #6
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
always good to remind each other. I'm thinking about rigging an outdoor bike rack so I can lift my bike and access the drive train for easier and regular cleaning. nothing major but I notice commuting really builds up grime on the rollers especially. I do regularly spin the wheels and check for brake clearance and trueness.
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:30 PM   #7
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
I seem to recall there was a tandem couple I met; anytime they were going on a long vacation trip, they would spend the first night at a motel close to their home, like maybe near the airport instead of at their own house. This way, if they had forgotten something, they would know about it in time to drive back to the house to get it, instead of finding out at their travel destination.

As far as one-day rides, I am always amazed at how long it takes to get ready to ride, especially in the winter, when you need to put on more clothes, booties, heavier gloves, etc. I have a mental checklist, but them I'm always remembering something else and just about out the door and I have to stop and get whatever it was I remembered. In the summer I usually forget the water bottle.

L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 02:19 PM   #8
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post

As far as one-day rides, I am always amazed at how long it takes to get ready to ride, especially in the winter, when you need to put on more clothes, booties, heavier gloves, etc. I have a mental checklist, but them I'm always remembering something else and just about out the door and I have to stop and get whatever it was I remembered. In the summer I usually forget the water bottle.

L.
If it is a local ride- I ride from home but most of my organised rides start with a car trip of a couple of hours. And if it is a couple of hours away- I don't know what the weather will throw at me. So bike sorted- but what top coat- will I need the tights and overshoes- and what gloves. So the trunk of the car is normally filled up with clothing- and a spare set of wheels and track pump- and just in case- the tool kit goes with me. Doesn't leave much room for the others that will be doing the ride with me- but they can always sit on the roof rack.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote