Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Flood Alert

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flood Alert

Its been Raining a heck of a lot in my area for the last week. Over 14" since last monday and I know it is over that as the bucket I use to judge rainfall is now overflowing. I have been driving around the area today and I knew everything was getting waterlogged due to the number of closed roads about.

Well tonight we have just got our Flood warning. Our house should not be affected but taking no chances. Been down to the bike shed and made certain that everything is up off the floor and also moved the chickens up to the highest point of the garden. Don't think we will have much more rain tonight but all that rain that fell on the higher ground to the North of us is now draining into the local river (Usually a 20ft wide stream really) and that is already pretty high. We are 30ft above the usual river level but The low point of my garden isn't.

And if you are thinking about coming to England in the next month or so--Make certain you bring your waders and a Goretex. The forecast is not good.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it quits raining and you avoid any flooding.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The earlier flooding up in Cumbria has made the news here in the US. Quite horrible. Hope you are spared that.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be safe.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and hope that weather improves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be a struggle swimming to high ground with all those bikes. Oh...and don't forget to go back for the wife.

But seriously, stapfam, I hope the warning fizzles out and things returns to normal.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flood alert still there but I am high enough from the river to not get that one. Problem is that the water table has risen in the area to the rear of the house. Must be about 5 acres of gardens there and it is flat. Any water falling on that is not going to go anywhere so I am "Praying" for a few fine days to allow it to drain a bit. Weather forecast is promising but I am not holding my breath. My garden is lower than the house by about 4 ft but that low bit is a bit soggy.

And the news tonight showed the Village of Alfriston which is on one of my local rides. Just glad that I never got tempted to buy the house I fancied a few years ago. Ground floor flooded to a depth of 2ft.

And Louis- The wife can swim- the bikes can't.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Stap,
    wish you all the best, as in NO MORE Rain!
    I see floods on the news and wonder how those people deal with it. It has to be a real PITA.
    Again I hope it works in your favor and best wishes for those who were not lucky in your neck of the woods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that this was a "1000 year " rainfall event. Take care and don't take any chances.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That island of yours is about to sink. You need to move over here with the rest of us; however, just in case you don't make the move, I do hope it dries out a bit.

Down in Louisiana at the permanent residence, there are areas near where I live that have suffered some ugly floods within the past couple of years. It's really a sorry feeling to see the water rising.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    And Louis- The wife can swim- the bikes can't.
    ouch. I can hear the whack upside the head for that crack....

Sorry to share our wet Atlanta weather with you Stepfam.

We (Atlanta, Georgia and the southeast) went from extended 3-5 year drought where our resevoir was down below lowest levels since it was filled back in the 50's to above normal water pool for the lake. This was supposed to take years to replenish but all the rain we got filled it up. Now the over flow is going your way. Water table here is also very high and the low areas are soggy and can not take much rain. We expect rain Wednesday 1-3 inches and I hope we don't get any flooding. Our house is high enough to avoid the worst of it but the water table raised the hydrostatic pressure on the foundation and it leaked in earlier this fall. Nasty.

Hope the rain passes quickly and clear weather dries the area.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live we've been through several major floods in my lifetime. Hope the weather dries out for a spell and that you and your loved ones remain safe. As for your garden, you're more than just a few weeks away from starting any spring planting. So, I'd focus on the bikes and chickens if the house is going to be OK. (Hey, I wonder if you can train chickens to ride bikes?)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap, If you end up needing ark, remember to bring 2 of each bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    Stap, If you end up needing ark, remember to bring 2 of each bike.
    Used to live at "Noahs Ark"- named as part of a village as someone brought all their animals into the house when the Farm flooded one year. That must hace been some flood though as that house is 20Ft above the stream that flooded.

And today- No Rain!!!!! But water levels have not fallen. Rain forecast tonight but only an inch or thereabouts. And as to it being a 1,000year event- The County Town of Lewes flooded in 2003-that is only 10 miles away but that Town floods about every 25 years or so.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Its been Raining a heck of a lot in my area for the last week. Over 14" since last monday.
    I've heard that once the rain kept up like that for 40 days and 40 nights but I'm not old enough to remember. Maybe Denver can.