Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why this sudden Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This isn't a big deal--I've always sort of enjoyed the soreness that comes after a hard workout, as evidence I really worked out. I never understand when people post complaints: "Oh, I lifted weights yesterday and now my arms are s-o-o sore..."
As I've moved into my 60s, though, the pattern has changed. I've typically been a little sore the morning after, but now it's often delayed a day or even two. It's a recognized phenomenon, with an official acronym, DOMS, and not an issue at all. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced it. Sunday I moved two yards of gravel and two of topsoil across my yard with a shovel and wheelbarrow, unaccustomed labor for me. Felt fine Monday; Tuesday I'm a little tender. But enjoying it.
Old 11-24-09, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It's (second day soreness) always been that way for me.
Old 11-24-09, 09:17 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hmmm… I guess I have to age a little more. I'm getting soreness starting from a couple of hours afterwards straight through for three days. I'm still sore from Saturday.
Old 11-24-09, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually have only mild soreness the day after lifting weights. Soreness from cycling is very seldom except after extremely long rides, no matter the pace.
Old 11-24-09, 11:54 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I have experienced the same soreness. I decided that everything is slower with age, even soreness. This was a good weekend for riding and today I feel it.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-24-09, 12:02 PM

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in for second day soreness too. I'm usually feeling great right after work out and still pretty good the next day too. But when the 2nd day rolls along that's when the I feel it the most. I've always been that way too.
Old 11-24-09, 12:17 PM
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
You're only starting to get this in your 60s? I was getting this in my 30s. Now I really feel old.
Old 11-24-09, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
. . . I was getting this in my 30s. . . .
Mine started in the early 50s. I thought it was a bit odd, but never really thought to ask any of my brothers and sisters here in BF 50+. I'd love to know what it means.
Old 11-24-09, 04:06 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
I'd love to know what it means.
What it means...
Old 11-25-09, 10:07 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
They think DOMS is caused by acid that irritates the muscles, so if the muscles were used a little differently than normal, and the lactic acid built up a little, then you will get some minor swelling of the tissues and the soreness.
You know what pain is? It's your body telling you that you're not dead yet!!!
Old 11-25-09, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The body builders say DOMS is primarily caused by exercise that has torn the muscle fibres and is a good thing. It gives the body a chance to rebuild the muscle stronger than before. To do that a person must eat properly after the exerise to provide the proper nutrition for muscle building. A nearly immediate fast acting protein meal followed by complex carbs and slower acting protein some time later seems to be the usual recommendation.

I've not done the research to be able to provide a proper critique. But, this process is pretty well established in the nutreceutical camp.
Old 12-02-09, 09:19 AM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65
The body builders say DOMS is primarily caused by exercise that has torn the muscle fibres and is a good thing. It gives the body a chance to rebuild the muscle stronger than before. To do that a person must eat properly after the exerise to provide the proper nutrition for muscle building. A nearly immediate fast acting protein meal followed by complex carbs and slower acting protein some time later seems to be the usual recommendation.

I've not done the research to be able to provide a proper critique. But, this process is pretty well established in the nutreceutical camp.

Get the testosterone patch. Problem solved ! haha
Old 12-02-09, 10:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've never gotten sore from riding. Fatigued - yes. Sore - no. Sub-5 hr. century over the summer, massive climbing rides, whatever. Just not sore. Maybe when I hit 60 in 18 mo.
Old 12-02-09, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
Get the testosterone patch. Problem solved ! haha
Hope the "haha" means you mean this comment as humor. Best I know unless there is an abnormal lack of this hormone adding it has not been proven to have any benefit but has been demonstrated to produce pretty severe negative effects.

As I posted before DOMS is presumed to be a normal part of an exercise regimen that is designed to build muscle. It occurs after the lactic acid buildup has washed out so I, for one, think the body builders are probably on to something. If a person has never exeperienced before it probably is just because they haven't stressed their muscles to the level they are now.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 12-02-09 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 01:00 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I have it solved. I'm just sore all over most of the time. About the only time I'm not is after a ride, and that wears off pretty quickly.
Old 12-03-09, 10:55 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65

After track workouts, many of the racers, including yours truly, drink Muscle Milk (get it at Costco by the box) and put on compression technology.
Old 12-03-09, 11:09 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
In addition to eating properly and taking a recovery ride, I add an extra hour of sleep.

Michael
Old 12-03-09, 11:30 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
With respect to cycling (versus moving gravel), after a hard event/race or effort, it is important to spin out your legs. This is a 30 minute exercise not 2 or 3 minutes. After a race, most go for an easy ride or jump back on the trainer to flush the lactate out of the system to foster recovery and reduce potential soreness. And of course, there is post ride massage and using foam rollers.