Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am not really "into it"

I have been reading several threads and in them people have named their bikes. I don't and have never thought of doing so. Am I not into it?

When ever I talk about riding my bike and am asked which one I say "road or mtb" maybe the blue one but always the mtb when it is that one.

Oh and guess what? I had to post this using Firefox because when I tried using IE all I got was a HUGE white blank space and could not do anything.
    Last edited by kr32; 12-01-09 at 06:12 AM. Reason: add info about the new forum

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here and I really like my bike a LOT. Just never got into naming inanimate objects.

On the IE issue, try using the tab key when you get to that huge white space. A few taps should take you right to the place you want to be.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your system probably works for you. I currently have seven road bikes three of which are Specialized road bikes in the same color. I've got two other road bikes that are black. So, saying I'm going to ride the road bike doesn't work. Saying I'm going to ride the blue, or black, or Specialized road bike doesn't work either. Names for some of us can simplify things. Not really sure what "being into it" means anyhow. Seems kind of arbitrary, perhaps based on another's notion that one's investment in something is deeper than theirs. Maybe I'm off base here, but I'd suggest that anyone who posts on a bike forum is somewhat "into it".

Oh, I'm currently using IE 7 to post this reply.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikes have names - it's easy, it's fun; doesn't connote being more into it than anyone else.
    Exception - the tandem is just "the tandem".

Posted w/ Firefox.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different strokes. Some people like to give things names, some don't. Makes no difference to me which way someone prefers to go with that.

I've always had names for my cars, motorcycles, bicycles etc. It is just part of the way I relate to them. Especially the ones I spend long hard hours on. I like to talk to them to get them to help me up a steep hill or to keep going in oppressive heat or driving rain.

Besides, people all have names and my bikes have much more personality than many people I know.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a minor exception of referring to my Jamis as "the beast" (note the lack of "caps", though), I see no need to use names other than the ones my bikes already came with. I don't name my guitars, either. Or my cars. My dog and cat have names, though.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    With a minor exception of referring to my Jamis as "the beast" (note the lack of "caps", though), I see no need to use names other than the ones my bikes already came with. I don't name my guitars, either. Or my cars. My dog and cat have names, though.
    "the beast" has you started on that slippery slope.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the replies I sure hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intentions at all.

And I guess I didn't use the correct term and not really sure what it would be anyway.

I have heard people in the car culture name their cars too and again I never have.
    I dunno maybe I just wanted to start a thread!

Oh and for NOS..I can reply in IE no problem I was just having trouble Starting one. Also I think I can agree with you that just by me being in this forum and posting and such I guess I really am "into it". I think it is cool what people post and the reports and such, I do enjoy it and all the people here.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikes already had names when I got them, like Trek, Schwinn, Specialized, etc. I found that wasn't enough, since several had the same name. So now they are blue Schwinn, black Schwinn, green Schwinn, beer can Trek, tin can Trek, Hardluck, hard tail, double-boinger, folder. No more confusion!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    My bikes have names.
    Do the names ever change - say in the middle of a loooong steep hill?

Mine have.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has My Little Pony, Ruby and... heck, I don't know what she class her Crosscheck and mountain bike.
    My bikes don't have names. Then, what could sound cooler then "The Kestrel?" The others are nameless. Heck, one is darn near brandless.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought I was in the minority on this--it just seems silly to me to give things names. The Atlantis is "the Atlantis," the Trek is "the singlespeed" and the Dahon is "the folder." I had a series of race cars, one at a time, all of them called "the race car" or just "the car," depending on context.
    I did race a mountain bike for one season, and its name must have been Fa Tass. At least when people came up behind me, they said, "Coming through, Fa Tass."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikesd get called lots of names- Normally when the big hill appears 50 miles into a ride.

But they do have names- Boreas- TCR-OCR-Bianchi and the Tandem. Just can't improve on the manufacturers names.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use "names" in the sense that kr32 means . . .

The Calfee is just "the Calfee." My mountain bike is just "the Zaskar." My touring bike is just "the Mercian." My folding bike usually doesn't get called "the DaHon" but rather "the folder."

On the other hand, my Hercules is "the 3-Speed" and my fixed gear bike is "the Masi."

My GT road bikes are differentiated in one of two ways, i.e., "the SRAM GT" and "the Ultegra GT" or alternately, "the Ti GT" and "the steel GT."

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    -it just seems silly to me to give things names.
    That's as good a reason as I can think of for doing it. Life is far too important to take seriously.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I did race a mountain bike for one season, and its name must have been Fa Tass. At least when people came up behind me, they said, "Coming through, Fa Tass."
    You know, they make road bikes, too. I have 4 of them, as well as one of their mtbs.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, my motor vehicles generally have never been named.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 127250LOL, my bike has "two names", in general I refer to it as "The Frankenbird" but it's real name is TOG (Touch Of Gray)!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never named a bike although they have occasionally been called names.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who is often whimsical to the point of silliness, I cannot explain why I have not named any of my bikes.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I thought my bike came with a cool name - Mad One! Then I realized that there isn't a space in there . . .

My Bikes
    Scott CR 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never named my bikes or cars or aircraft, however the one least favored by my wife at any point in time might be referred to as "the b____ in the hanger" or the" b____ in the garage".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 , #2, #3. Simple.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't actually have conversations with my bikes or car, so don't see a need to actually name them. In my youth I just had the one bike, so it was simple "my bike." Now with three bikes and the wife with one, they are just referred to by the model name/brand name; although the Bertolette model is shortened to "Bert", followed by SRT, 7200 and wife's is just the Trek. Although her's should probably the dust catcher, as that is all it's doing.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call mine, "My Bike" and "My Old Bike".
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast