Thread: Made in the USA

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made in the USA

Does anyone know of a bicycle "Made in the USA." I mean all pats, not just the frame. The drive train, the handle bars, the wheels, everything. I cannot find it, but am still looking.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made in the USA

Does anyone know of a bicycle made in the USA. I mean all parts, including frame, drive train, wheels, handle bar, fork, hubs, etc. I cannot find anything, so I thought I would turn to the 50+ forum for help.
    I would like to find a road bike. Frame could be any material.
    Thanks in advance.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this website. You'll need to scroll down to the cycling section. I'm not sure all the information is up-to-date.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/sportinggoods.html
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably put together a fixie made all in the USA. I don't know of any US made derailleurs. (Not to say there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of any.)

Mine are ridden in the USA. That's good enough for me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Check this website. You'll need to scroll down to the cycling section. I'm not sure all the information is up-to-date.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/sportinggoods.html
    not up to date

TO THE OP..... NO, not with everything domestically made. Trek makes some frames here, NOT all.
    Cannondale's been threatening to source or build overseas exclusively so you may find a 2008 or 9 if they've not so already. STILL though; some components are non-US made which cancels out any chance of 100% purity as you wish. The US doesn't make handlebars or hubs found on Road Bikes. Worksmans Bikes are largely US made, as are SOME of their parts. These bike are used in NYC hot dog and del. bikes. This subject is often covered both here and elsewhere. Certain parts of certain bikes .........

Surf Bum
    My Bikes
    Vintage Trek, Vintage Diamond Back Mountain Bike, Bianchi Axis CrossBike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old and new View Post
    The US doesn't make handlebars or hubs found on Road Bikes.
    Aren't Phil Wood hubs made in their shop here? And you can get custom handlebars bent here if you wanted.

The OP can find a lot more usa made components if he builds up the bike from scratch than by buying a complete bike, but I don't think he'll get to 100%. For example, I don't know any usa manufacturers of the following: tires, tubes, derailleurs, chains, or regular rims (you can probably get some carbon rims made here though...).

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy Zipp wheels (made in Speedway) and help stimulate the Metro Indy economy.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are dozens of small framebuilders making frames in the U.S. It gets trickier when you get into parts and components.

There's a cyclocross team in Oregon that attempts to "buy local" as much as possible. Their race bike is interesting; they break down all the parts into three categories:

1. Made in Oregon
    2. Made in the USA
    3. Made internationally by US companies.

http://www.buylocalcycling.com/2009/...ace-bikes.html

If you really want "made in USA" you are going to have to avoid Shimano, Campy, etc., and make sure you are looking at folks like Chris King, Phil Wood, White Industries, Paul Components (though I'm not sure if each and every thing they make is made in US). I think you're going to struggle to find some of the parts you want actually "made" in the USA -- for example; tires?

Edit: even at Worksman bicycles (the made-in-USA suppliers or industrial bikes and trikes for factories) says this on their website:

"the exodous of the bicycle manufacturing industry in the USA means that we too have to source many of our parts from overseas to make Worksman Cycles. We have little choice here as there are simply no US suppliers for many bicycle related components, including tires, tubes, spokes, saddles and other key parts."
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-05-09 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Gunnar Sport. You can find other bits and pieces made here, but I would suggest
    that you don't get crazy doing it.

Basically, you can't do it, and it doesn't make sense to try. We have a global economy,
    and nobody makes everything.

If you feel the need to spend more, get a better frame, a Waterford, Spectrum, there are
    a couple hundred choices from Igleheart to custom carbon.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. When I look at the country of origin of the parts on a bike, it looks like a UN convention.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Love my Gunnar Sport. You can find other bits and pieces made here, but I would suggest
    that you don't get crazy doing it.

Basically, you can't do it, and it doesn't make sense to try. We have a global economy,
    and nobody makes everything.

If you feel the need to spend more, get a better frame, a Waterford, Spectrum, there are
    a couple hundred choices from Igleheart to custom carbon.
    Gunnar Street Dog Here.

That's a good way to view it. I don't think it's possible to buy everything you want that's 100% American Made. I like to wear New Balance shoes, but many of their lower-end models are made overseas, and I believe all of their soles are produced overseas. Even such icons as Levi's have moved their production out of this country. Welcome to globalization.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I thought there would be some obscure company that does still make components in the USA. A specialty type company of some sort.
    I have seen a "belt drive" at some time. Was that an American company? Also, did I see a direct drive system at one time?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    Actually I thought there would be some obscure company that does still make components in the USA. A specialty type company of some sort.
    I have seen a "belt drive" at some time.
    Several of the components makers I mentioned (I believe) still manufacturer in the U.S. - Chris King, Phil Wood, Paul, maybe White Industries.

As for the "belt drive" - maybe you're referring to Gates, the maker of the Gates carbon belt everyone is using? Gates is based in the U.S., don't know where the belts are made.

There is a Boston company (name I forget) making direct drive bikes but I think the drives are made abroad.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-06-09 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carve a bike out of wood. Problem solved.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to pose this to the excellent people at Waterford.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You could probably put together a fixie made all in the USA. I don't know of any US made derailleurs. (Not to say there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of any.)

Mine are ridden in the USA. That's good enough for me.
    There was a time not so long ago that SRAM components were all made in the USA. Since the merger with Sachs however, they have factories in both Europe as well as on the Pacific Rim so parts production is probably moving to wherever it makes economic sense.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked at the lbs. All SRAM parts were import in their stock. I have some time off on Tuesday. I will use some of that to get on the phone with some specialty manufacturers listed here and other places.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IRO out of Middleburg, PA does fixed and single speeds with a pretty good selection of their own parts.

http://www.irocycle.com/
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I checked at the lbs. All SRAM parts were import in their stock. I have some time off on Tuesday. I will use some of that to get on the phone with some specialty manufacturers listed here and other places.
    Road bike wise, I don't know what to tell you.
    Mountain bikes....there were several USA companies that made MTB parts back in the 90s. There were billet derailleurs, twist shifters, handlebars, etc. The US never had the same level of innovation with road bikes; the CNC boom and the MTB boom happened at the same time.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called IRO today. They have NO American made parts. They were confident I would not find any. I have not quit yet, but it is looking a bit difficult at this time.

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1992 Trek 970 SingleTrack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even buying US made hubs won't guarantee domestic components. I design professional tools, and almost all bearings come from China, Taiwan, or Mexico. Even American companies source their parts overseas. Roller bearings and some needle bearings are probably all you'll find made in the USA.

(Believe me, I try. All of our professional tools are still made here, and most components, but things like chains, bearings, etc. are hard to find domestically made.)

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a geartrain, last time I checked the Nuvinci CVT hub was built in the USA. But like smorris said, it's probably got foreign something or other inside.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

surfrider
    Like others mentioned above, you probably won't find any bicycle totally made in the USA. Are you looking for a 'socially conciencious' bicycle?Since the world is getting smaller and more interconnected, maybe change your focus to getting a bicycle made with parts from countries that have more stable, democratic institutions (solid legal system, transparent political system with democratic participation, good environmental laws/regs, etc). This could include parts made in Europe (the E.U. countries), some Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, Korea), possible a few more I can't think of right away. That would give you more options, and (i'd think) a better possibility of finding something. You still might have to get something with a few parts made in repressive countries, but at least you minimize your exposure to those types of regimes.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
    Like others mentioned above, you probably won't find any bicycle totally made in the USA. Are you looking for a 'socially conciencious' bicycle?Since the world is getting smaller and more interconnected, maybe change your focus to getting a bicycle made with parts from countries that have more stable, democratic institutions (solid legal system, transparent political system with democratic participation, good environmental laws/regs, etc). This could include parts made in Europe (the E.U. countries), some Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, Korea), possible a few more I can't think of right away. That would give you more options, and (i'd think) a better possibility of finding something. You still might have to get something with a few parts made in repressive countries, but at least you minimize your exposure to those types of regimes.
    Actually, I was thinking more about the unemployment in the USA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast