Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-05-09, 08:18 AM   #1
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Made in the USA

Does anyone know of a bicycle "Made in the USA." I mean all pats, not just the frame. The drive train, the handle bars, the wheels, everything. I cannot find it, but am still looking.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 08:28 AM   #2
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Made in the USA

Does anyone know of a bicycle made in the USA. I mean all parts, including frame, drive train, wheels, handle bar, fork, hubs, etc. I cannot find anything, so I thought I would turn to the 50+ forum for help.
I would like to find a road bike. Frame could be any material.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-09, 09:09 AM   #3
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check this website. You'll need to scroll down to the cycling section. I'm not sure all the information is up-to-date.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/sportinggoods.html

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 09:14 AM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
You could probably put together a fixie made all in the USA. I don't know of any US made derailleurs. (Not to say there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of any.)

Mine are ridden in the USA. That's good enough for me.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 10:12 AM   #5
old and new

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Check this website. You'll need to scroll down to the cycling section. I'm not sure all the information is up-to-date.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/sportinggoods.html
not up to date

TO THE OP..... NO, not with everything domestically made. Trek makes some frames here, NOT all.
Cannondale's been threatening to source or build overseas exclusively so you may find a 2008 or 9 if they've not so already. STILL though; some components are non-US made which cancels out any chance of 100% purity as you wish. The US doesn't make handlebars or hubs found on Road Bikes. Worksmans Bikes are largely US made, as are SOME of their parts. These bike are used in NYC hot dog and del. bikes. This subject is often covered both here and elsewhere. Certain parts of certain bikes .........
old and new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 10:48 AM   #6
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old and new View Post
The US doesn't make handlebars or hubs found on Road Bikes.
Aren't Phil Wood hubs made in their shop here? And you can get custom handlebars bent here if you wanted.

The OP can find a lot more usa made components if he builds up the bike from scratch than by buying a complete bike, but I don't think he'll get to 100%. For example, I don't know any usa manufacturers of the following: tires, tubes, derailleurs, chains, or regular rims (you can probably get some carbon rims made here though...).
pacificaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:11 PM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Buy Zipp wheels (made in Speedway) and help stimulate the Metro Indy economy.
Old 12-05-09, 01:19 PM   #8
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
There are dozens of small framebuilders making frames in the U.S. It gets trickier when you get into parts and components.

There's a cyclocross team in Oregon that attempts to "buy local" as much as possible. Their race bike is interesting; they break down all the parts into three categories:

1. Made in Oregon
2. Made in the USA
3. Made internationally by US companies.

http://www.buylocalcycling.com/2009/...ace-bikes.html

If you really want "made in USA" you are going to have to avoid Shimano, Campy, etc., and make sure you are looking at folks like Chris King, Phil Wood, White Industries, Paul Components (though I'm not sure if each and every thing they make is made in US). I think you're going to struggle to find some of the parts you want actually "made" in the USA -- for example; tires?

Edit: even at Worksman bicycles (the made-in-USA suppliers or industrial bikes and trikes for factories) says this on their website:

"the exodous of the bicycle manufacturing industry in the USA means that we too have to source many of our parts from overseas to make Worksman Cycles. We have little choice here as there are simply no US suppliers for many bicycle related components, including tires, tubes, spokes, saddles and other key parts."

Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-05-09 at 07:46 PM.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:24 PM   #9
late

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Love my Gunnar Sport. You can find other bits and pieces made here, but I would suggest
that you don't get crazy doing it.

Basically, you can't do it, and it doesn't make sense to try. We have a global economy,
and nobody makes everything.

If you feel the need to spend more, get a better frame, a Waterford, Spectrum, there are
a couple hundred choices from Igleheart to custom carbon.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 04:15 PM   #10
oilman_15106

Bikes:
I doubt it. When I look at the country of origin of the parts on a bike, it looks like a UN convention.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 06:21 PM   #11
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late View Post
Love my Gunnar Sport. You can find other bits and pieces made here, but I would suggest
that you don't get crazy doing it.

Basically, you can't do it, and it doesn't make sense to try. We have a global economy,
and nobody makes everything.

If you feel the need to spend more, get a better frame, a Waterford, Spectrum, there are
a couple hundred choices from Igleheart to custom carbon.
Gunnar Street Dog Here.

That's a good way to view it. I don't think it's possible to buy everything you want that's 100% American Made. I like to wear New Balance shoes, but many of their lower-end models are made overseas, and I believe all of their soles are produced overseas. Even such icons as Levi's have moved their production out of this country. Welcome to globalization.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 03:00 AM   #12
BikeArkansas

Actually I thought there would be some obscure company that does still make components in the USA. A specialty type company of some sort.
I have seen a "belt drive" at some time. Was that an American company? Also, did I see a direct drive system at one time?
Old 12-06-09, 01:29 PM   #13
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
Actually I thought there would be some obscure company that does still make components in the USA. A specialty type company of some sort.
I have seen a "belt drive" at some time.
Several of the components makers I mentioned (I believe) still manufacturer in the U.S. - Chris King, Phil Wood, Paul, maybe White Industries.

As for the "belt drive" - maybe you're referring to Gates, the maker of the Gates carbon belt everyone is using? Gates is based in the U.S., don't know where the belts are made.

There is a Boston company (name I forget) making direct drive bikes but I think the drives are made abroad.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-06-09 at 01:47 PM.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 01:42 PM   #14
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Bikes:
Carve a bike out of wood. Problem solved.
PlatyPius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 11:05 PM   #15
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
You may want to pose this to the excellent people at Waterford.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 05:05 AM   #16
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
You could probably put together a fixie made all in the USA. I don't know of any US made derailleurs. (Not to say there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of any.)

Mine are ridden in the USA. That's good enough for me.
There was a time not so long ago that SRAM components were all made in the USA. Since the merger with Sachs however, they have factories in both Europe as well as on the Pacific Rim so parts production is probably moving to wherever it makes economic sense.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 06:35 AM   #17
BikeArkansas

I checked at the lbs. All SRAM parts were import in their stock. I have some time off on Tuesday. I will use some of that to get on the phone with some specialty manufacturers listed here and other places.
Old 12-07-09, 07:33 AM   #18
NOS88

Bikes:
IRO out of Middleburg, PA does fixed and single speeds with a pretty good selection of their own parts.

http://www.irocycle.com/
Old 12-07-09, 10:25 AM   #19
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
I checked at the lbs. All SRAM parts were import in their stock. I have some time off on Tuesday. I will use some of that to get on the phone with some specialty manufacturers listed here and other places.
Road bike wise, I don't know what to tell you.
Mountain bikes....there were several USA companies that made MTB parts back in the 90s. There were billet derailleurs, twist shifters, handlebars, etc. The US never had the same level of innovation with road bikes; the CNC boom and the MTB boom happened at the same time.
PlatyPius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 03:56 PM   #20
BikeArkansas

I called IRO today. They have NO American made parts. They were confident I would not find any. I have not quit yet, but it is looking a bit difficult at this time.
Old 12-07-09, 06:11 PM   #21
smorris 

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
Even buying US made hubs won't guarantee domestic components. I design professional tools, and almost all bearings come from China, Taiwan, or Mexico. Even American companies source their parts overseas. Roller bearings and some needle bearings are probably all you'll find made in the USA.

(Believe me, I try. All of our professional tools are still made here, and most components, but things like chains, bearings, etc. are hard to find domestically made.)
smorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 06:37 PM   #22
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Here ya' go.

tcs
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 06:41 PM   #23
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
For a geartrain, last time I checked the Nuvinci CVT hub was built in the USA. But like smorris said, it's probably got foreign something or other inside.

tcs
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 08:10 PM   #24
surfrider

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Like others mentioned above, you probably won't find any bicycle totally made in the USA. Are you looking for a 'socially conciencious' bicycle?Since the world is getting smaller and more interconnected, maybe change your focus to getting a bicycle made with parts from countries that have more stable, democratic institutions (solid legal system, transparent political system with democratic participation, good environmental laws/regs, etc). This could include parts made in Europe (the E.U. countries), some Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, Korea), possible a few more I can't think of right away. That would give you more options, and (i'd think) a better possibility of finding something. You still might have to get something with a few parts made in repressive countries, but at least you minimize your exposure to those types of regimes.
Old 12-07-09, 08:32 PM   #25
BikeArkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
Like others mentioned above, you probably won't find any bicycle totally made in the USA. Are you looking for a 'socially conciencious' bicycle?Since the world is getting smaller and more interconnected, maybe change your focus to getting a bicycle made with parts from countries that have more stable, democratic institutions (solid legal system, transparent political system with democratic participation, good environmental laws/regs, etc). This could include parts made in Europe (the E.U. countries), some Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, Korea), possible a few more I can't think of right away. That would give you more options, and (i'd think) a better possibility of finding something. You still might have to get something with a few parts made in repressive countries, but at least you minimize your exposure to those types of regimes.
Actually, I was thinking more about the unemployment in the USA.