Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my highest weight and worse shape in years I order a N+1

My bike fund is in good shape even thorough I am not. When Pedalforce offered a great deal on a new carbon frame with SRAM Rival 10 speed group I decided to round out my fleet with one fully modern bike.

61cm ZX3 frame and all carbon fork
    2009 Rival 10 speed group
    carbon seat post

I have a saddle, drop bars, stem and tape on hand. I also rearranged my wheel sets to free up the Nimble Spider wheels. I'm hoping the bike will weigh in at under 17 lbs.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Larger Chainring Oregon Southpaw's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Oregon Southpaw has reached his daily limit of posts chastising users for the all too commonly held belief a new bike will solve all problems]

I hope the new bike inspires you to get out there and ride. Seriously - focus on getting back to healthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetube View Post
    At times my crotch has thought the title to this thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe buying a bike has anything to do with the shape you're in and you certainly don't have to justify the purchase. Buy what you like, even if you're only going to hang it on the wall.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. I have looked at their website a bunch of times, I hope you post pics when you get it and let us know how you like it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your going to like that Rival setup.
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need a new bike to motivate you to get out and ride more!

But I can hardly believe that Mr. Steel Bike Rejuvenater is going carbon!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robtown: I always did it the other way. That is, I set a fitness/weight goal with the reward for reaching it the purchase of a new ride. I don't think I would trust myself to do it the way you are. Hope you enjoy the new "fully modern" ride when it arrives. As always, pictures please.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw View Post
    [Oregon Southpaw has reached his daily limit of posts chastising users for the all too commonly held belief a new bike will solve all problems]

I hope the new bike inspires you to get out there and ride. Seriously - focus on getting back to healthy!
    I do need to ride. I've been worn out and sick since September starting with ear and sinus infections. I'll probably ride my (winter) steel cyclocross bike with the BIONX much more as I regain strength and loose a bike's worth of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Fantastic. I have looked at their website a bunch of times, I hope you post pics when you get it and let us know how you like it.
    I originally wanted the RS2 but the ZX3 was on sale. It's also a bit less compact / more upright and might be a bit tougher for a cyldesdale like me. I expect the bike will weigh in between 16 and 17 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think your going to like that Rival setup.
    I've heard good things about Rival. It's my first 10 speed STI setup and the whole bike, down to the chain will be SRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Sounds like you need a new bike to motivate you to get out and ride more!

But I can hardly believe that Mr. Steel Bike Rejuvenater is going carbon!
    I do have the old-school carbon Miyata with modern bits that I enjoy. I'm not abandoning steel - here is my current project:

Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Robtown: I always did it the other way. That is, I set a fitness/weight goal with the reward for reaching it the purchase of a new ride. I don't think I would trust myself to do it the way you are. Hope you enjoy the new "fully modern" ride when it arrives. As always, pictures please.
    It's more a matter of taking advantage of the sale when my bike cash stash was full.
    Korval is Ships

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with getting the bike when you have the funds for it- But you now have a problem. C.F. has an inherent problem--If it is not ridden for 5 days- it disintegrates. So unless you want to upset then wife with the pile of ash on the bedroom carpet- You had better get riding it and soon.

Word of warning though-- C.F. will ride different to your current steeds. Take time to adjust and swop things about till it gets right. MY TCR did not give me the ride I wanted till the 3rd set of wheels I tried.Yet another reason to use this winter to get the bike sorted and ready to go for when Spring arrives (If it ever does)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to reconsider the Sram chain. I've read where the KMC X10SL and the Dura Ace 7801 are smoother and quieter, good luck.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You may want to reconsider the Sram chain. I've read where the KMC X10SL and the Dura Ace 7801 are smoother and quieter, good luck.
    Like many of my fleet this is much more bike than I need. I've used SRAM, Ultegra, and DuraAce chains and they seem very much alike. In this case it comes with the Rival Group so I'll use it. I had an integrated aerobar setup, a generic Shimano crankset, and DA bar end shifters lined up for the RS2 frame - but they're surplus now. I'll probably install the aerobar setup on a spec bike I built and re-purpose it's FSA dropbar along with a Ritchey Pro stem on the new bike.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my Fedex tracking number....
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The frame and SRAM group arrived today. It's very light and looks great. I hope to get some time in this busy season to start assembly. Pictures to follow.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you like the bike? I checked the website and it's a fantastic price!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...I dunno how I missed this thread in December; anyhow, congratulations on the new bike.

Like other posters have said, get busy riding.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a couple of 10 speeds back in the Seventies and really enjoyed riding them.
    Hope you enjoy riding your new 10 speed! Watch out for salt on icy roads unless you want the CF to rust.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer